Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,426
Cool! You need to post up some pics of what you want the finished product to look like. Are you going for the sensible gentlemans adv tourer restoration or is she gunna get stripped down to a badass rat bike?

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,657
You mean I have to make a decision? I try to avoid making them - they've got me in trouble before...
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:06 AM   #18
Padmei OP
enamoured

While I was waiting for the slide to turn up I thought I'd check the petcock so I could be sure that all the fuel supply is good to go. Taking the petcock out I found this crap around the intank filter.

Looking at the tank it looks like either the tank has had a respray or the original paint inside has come off.

I cleaned out as best I could with white spirits & a bottle brush then blew it out wth compressed air. When the tank started ballooning I realised they are thinner than I anticipated. Still no dents in there so that's good.

I'll include this pic for the ladies - the kinky ladies

By this stage I'd also replaced the old unifilter with a new paper filter, gave an oil change with Dino oil.

I paid particular attention to making sure the cover O ring had enough compression to ensure the oil passes thru the filter & doesn't cause loss of pressure. This is called the $2000 O ring. What happens is the cannister the oil filter fits into sometimes over time migrates inside the engine case. If it has receded too far into the engine case the o ring doesnt seal between the inside & outside of the oil filter. This causes loss of oil pressure & a clusterfuck of problems. Anton explains it better http://www.largiader.com/tech/filters/

Next up were new throttle & choke cables,along with new HT leads - oh all the kindness I'm showing the bike.

Here it is looking all spiffy

I got the feeler gauges out & set the valves.

Although reportedly an easy job I found this process to be a real pain in the arse. All you have to do is loosen the lock nut, adjust the rocker adjuster with a crescent until it's got the right gap then retighten the locknut.
Easy aye? Fucking Arse is it

You need about 3 hands as tightening up the fking locknut would shift the whole fking assembly out of spec.

I worked out the locknut would hit a bit of thread that was munted - maybe the mm that sits between the rocker & locknut - & moving it past that point would cause it to travel too far on the thread. Luckily 2 of the valves were ok so I din't have to do it to all of them. Remember we're talking 0.1mm gap & have to hamfistedly adjust it with 2 fking spanners - now the Germans are brilliant engineers however whoever thpught of that should be rooted by a goat.

Man I'm stressed just thinkng about it. Better go get a toffeepop.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 AM   #19
Padmei OP
enamoured

Despite the meltdown over the valve adjustment I'm really loving working on Schmitty. Everything is relatively easy to get to & work on. Also the feeling of satisfaction when it goes well is extremely gratifying.

Here are some more pics of things that need attention.

Dirty electrics

Rubber boot perished.

I replaced the shock with another similar one from Trademe. The PO had upgraded to a wilbur so I'm not sure how this is gonna feel.

The rust problem hasn't been addressed properly yet. I have gone to them with emery paper, green scoring pads, dremel with small wire wheel. I will wait till the important stuff is done before tackling this.

I checked the rear brake to see why it was so crappy. The shoe looks like it has plenty of meat on it & the drum was in good nick. Drum brakes just suck I guess.

I was very impressed with phreaky phils disc conversion. He seems to be one of a number of kiwi BMW fanatics that are extremely talented. In fact it was Boxer Odyssey's thread on his street tracker that initally got me turned onto working with an airhead.

As far as what style I'mgoing to go with - well I'm not sure. At this stage I want to get it runnning right- replace or repair what needs to be replaced or repaired & then start taking things off it.

I can't see myself being able to shout myself ohlins yet so willl just ride it & see where it fits in with my riding.

Padmei screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 01:49 PM
Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #20
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Thumb watching with interest

looking good Padmei - obviously providing you hours of fun in your man cave - thanks for posting - cheers Aslan
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #21
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I think the paralever rear brakes are just crap. The G/S drum rear brake was fantastic though.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand, over 60 Owners and workshop manual downloads, ADV bike specs chart & more
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #22
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei

I got the feeler gauges out & set the valves.

Holy shit mate I think you've got some problems there I dunno how that thing runs at all The entire camshaft is missing & someones stolen half the valves!

Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #23
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,649
Have you checked the end-float of the rocker assembly?
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #24
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
Have you checked the end-float of the rocker assembly?
Yep & it kinda moved but not much. I think I slipped a feeler guage in there at the time & all was good.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #25
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 1,026
Fcuk, that picture of you wearing that mask scared the crap out of me.

Will have to check schmidt out one day.

GOOD WORK
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #26
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit
Fcuk, that picture of you wearing that mask scared the crap out of me.

Will have to check schmidt out one day.

GOOD WORK
Imagine what it would be like if he didn't have the mask on!

Watching with interest Padmei. I agree with Clint though too much of some bits and not enough of other bits.

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 AM   #27
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Have you tired some autosol on the girl yet? It really is good stuff.

This is 30 seconds of gentle work with a dab of autosol.
Attached Images

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand, over 60 Owners and workshop manual downloads, ADV bike specs chart & more
Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #28
Padmei OP
enamoured

Shit it's worn half the tyre off - what kind of stuff is that?

If it's wet tomm I will do a gearbox & diff oil change then start on the cosmetic stuff.

I'm looking at replacing the front headlite with a basic round one. Has anyone found a cheap basic one - maybe from another bike- that has mounted reasonably easily?

Also want to get one of these
http://www.acewell.co.uk/images/ACE-2856AP.jpg
Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #29
Padmei OP
enamoured

Vid of the first startup - including arty bit

http://www.vimeo.com/14274709
Old 08-20-2010, 02:14 AM   #30
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Looking good mate, but can those carbs get any more out of balance?