Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
I've got some work boots like that!
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #32
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Those fuel filters will be fine. They're only doing 400cc each.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:43 AM   #33
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,438
Had a good day today. Went for a warm up ride to the top of the Whangamoas.m The bike was a little hard to start - I will get a new slide form Kane & see if that makes a difference. Once warmed it ticked over nicely.

It was a gorgeous typical nelson winter day sunny & crisp with enough of an early morning chill to freeze the knees. I pottered up the hill at a far more relaxed pace than I do on the kLR relaxed enough to appreciate the surrounding forests & native bush.

This morning a car & a truck pulled over to let me past even tho I was content to sit a respectable distance behind them & cruise. As I waved my gauntleted hand at the truck driver while passing, a couple of return deep blasts of the airhorns resonated off the cliffs. I passed him again as I went back the way i came & he waved out. Nice.

I realised why the BMW seemed so nice to cruise - the shaft drive. There was no feedback from the driveline like i'm accustomed to on Gonzo - twist the throttle & there is movement from the rear wheel- smooth & easy.
The front shock I know now has no damping whatsoever & the rear was set pretty soft.

I got back, loosened the fill plug on the tranny & undid the drain plug underneath. Geez they hold a lot of oil & it's bloody thin oh shit that's the engine drain plug you dickhead

Bunged it back up & poured the oil back into the engine. Then found the tranny hole

The oil didn't look too bad however the magnet on the drain plug looked like this

Hmmm i wonder if it's enough to worry about. i'm not sure of the last time the oil was changed- I hope it's not the missing circlip scenario...

Here's what the plug looked like clean.

Now this pees me off. The tranny takes 0.8l of oil. The diff takes .26l of oil. What amount of oil does the bottle come in? 1l!! I will see my friendly mechanics on Monday & borrow 60mls

I took off the front wheel to check the bearings - they looked & felt ok. Since it was off I thought I'd have a go at changing the front tyre to something a little better I had lying around (the original stock tyre from the KLR when I bought it- a piece of shit but it has more knobblie bits than the current cruiser front)

Oh BTW the front is tubeless. Now those who have tubeless will be laughing already as you can already imagine the language & frustration levels of me trying to get it off the rim with 2 medium size tyre levers. It just didn't happen.

Oh well I wanted to try at least as I am of the belief you should at least try to help yourself by learning how to do things like this at home lest it happen where there're no handy tyre machines. Learning how to do it may be redundant anyway as i guess all i'd have to do is learn how to fix a puncture with one of the strange looking rubber nutrigrains & crossstitch needle thing.

I started taking the brake calipers off as i thought i'd might as well service those.
Things were a bit tight getting the bolts out. When it cam to splitting the callipers apart I struggled trying to get the bolts to budge. i ended up bolting the caliper back on the fork & undoing them on the bike. They were bloody gummed up & i was paranoid about breaking off the ali mounts on the fork.

looking at the calipers I spied some damage to the dustcap & the piston/ plunger.

Getting them apart I realised why. The manual says to fire a bit of compressed air down the hole & the plunger will come out - oh hahaha. Brake fluid shot out of the other holes & the plunger stayed put.

As I tried gently to dislodge it parts of it started flaking away. I guess the elements & brake fluid had got to it rendering it pretty brittle. One of the previous owners mst have had a go then realised not to carry on. I on the other hand figured it's probably about time it was replaced.

I ended up getting one out however the other wasn't going anywhere. I left it soaking in wd40 with the other retaing bolt from the other half of the caliper tyhat didn't want to come out.

I left them & moved to the front shock. I took the clamps off the rubber gaiters & checked the forks. - all good - no rust & the seals were fine. Sprayed with a bit of silicon to make the rubber look good & then tryed to put the clamps on with siliconed hands - got one on before I starting flagging.

I cleaned the rear brake assembly with brakleen & then sat it on it's stand to wait for the other bits to be installed. Oh & I made up a soda blaster. The tube cost $3.00 however the 25kg sack of soda was gonna cost $65.00. I'll wait til I can find a smaller amount of soda or get all the bits off ready for blasting. Might even take the compressor & everything to the beach - gotta cost less that way...

Padmei screwed with this post 08-21-2010 at 01:57 AM
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #34
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
threads looking good mate, as for the sump plug i wouldnt be worried, thats fack all on there than what i would have expected from the ole girl - but thats just my personnal opinion and i dont know jack
Calipers .
i'll have to wait for school holidays before i start any more projects
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #35
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
So long as there are no lumps or shiny particles that amount of sludge on the magnet is not fear inspiring.
The correct sequence is (starting from the headlight end)
1 Engine
2 Gearbox
3 Diff

The gearbox is in the middle so is hard to confuse with the other bits.
Hope this helps next time you need to take a plug out

Tappet adjusters with munted threads such as you descibe are usually a result of the screw being stretched due to over enthusiastic tightening of the locknut

Tubeless tyre rims You mentioned you were going to replace spokes one at a time. I would seek advice before I touched the spokes. Everything I have heard about them says they are not that easy to replace. Check with a magnet and I think you will find they are stainless steel. One of SSs commonly overlooked issues is it will rust if contaminated by iron. The reason the spokes rust is the dust from the brakes mainly. Clean them up with emery paper then a fine grade of wet and dry, and if you are really fussy AutoSol to finish. Dont use steel wool
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:00 AM   #36
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
I cleaned the rear brake assembly with brakleen & then sat it on it's stand to wait for the other bits to be installed. Oh & I made up a soda blaster. The tube cost $3.00 however the 25kg sack of soda was gonna cost $65.00. I'll wait til I can find a smaller amount of soda or get all the bits off ready for blasting. Might even take the compressor & everything to the beach - gotta cost less that way...
Go halfzies in the soda wif ya...
Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #37
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I get food grade Sodium Bicarb for $590/tonne at work . What's that... under $15 a bag....boy are you getting ripped.

Nice project though. Keep it coming.
bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #38
Padmei OP
enamoured

Thanks for the replies... I think

Good info re the tappet screw - I will look @ replacing them at the next timing check.
I always thought the diff was in the middle of the engine & gearbox. I thought it was called a diff cos it's the difference between engine & gearbox

I'm glad others aren't too worried about the crap on the sump plug - I will sleep a little sounder at nite.

Anyway gonna have a good blast on Gonzo in the forest with the NADS today - wahoo!!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #39
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Thumb Padmei's Blog

nice one Padmei - watching with interest - cheers Aslan
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #40
NordieBoy
Armature speller

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-311086778.htm
Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #41
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Thanks.Man he's got a lot of stuff-all very different too.
You want your old rear mudguard?
Old 08-23-2010, 02:34 AM   #42
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Rear mudguard?

NordieBoy screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 02:42 AM
Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 AM   #43
Padmei OP
enamoured

Not a great deal happening lately. With all the best meaning intentions of finishing derusting the front wheel spokes I got sidetracked doing some maintenace on Gonzo. He recieved a bit of damage after a couple of slow offs on slippery hills. I'm trying to be pretty disciplined with myself to keep at least one bike roadworthy.
I actually managed to do some housekeeping in the small workshop I have & MADE myself install a couple of extra power points for the new compressor, drill press & dremel machine I acquired to help on the BMW project (I wire up crap all week & can't handle the thought of doing 5mins wiring at home- it seems soooo much harder). I must say i don't know how I managed to live for so long without these new toys.

Anyway on with the bike.

I couldn't get the piston out of one of my callipers by conventional means (compressed air etc) so went to it first with a chisel, my dremel grinder then a masonry bit in the drill press. The latter was the best way to break the piston up for extraction & tho not the most professional approaches they were successful.

I have been finding it difficult to source replacement pistons. Whilst there are several dealers listing 48mmm pistons online i couldn't get confirmation that they were indeed the correct piston.
With a few friendly pointers from local airheads I discovered the thread about upgrading the Brembo twin pot front calliper with 4pot Nissin callipers from early 90's Suzukis.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=FA145

My local friendly motorcycle shop I have a great relationship with,
City Motorcycles in Nelson, looked up & found the appropriate brembo pistons & dustcap kit for approx $100NZ.
So now I know what cost I'm looking at for the original parts i can investigate the prices of a 2nd hand Nissin calliper with apparently better stopping ability.
(as a sidenote, the original setup was creditted to Steve in New Zealand- good ol kiwi ingenuity- however many of the pioneers using this system have now gone to 6pot callipers.)

I have found Victorian Motorcycle wreckers in Melbourne have plenty for AU$85 + maybe $20 shipping whereas on Trademe they are fetching $200-250!! I guess they're coming more & more popular.

Also involved with fitting the new Nissin callipers is getting a small adaptor machined. The bottom mount is bolted to the fork however the top mount needs the adaptor to secure it to the fork. There is a cute lil PDF of it so I may have a go at cutting up a lump of ali. I might try with a block of cheese first & go from there.

More of that later.

So the remainder of Sturday & part of Sunday was spent trying different methods of removing rust from spokes. None was as effective as the old emery cloth however if there was a harder wire brush setup for the dremel it may have been better.

The nipples came up alright with little amount of wirewheel dremeling

Before

After

Some of the spokes were pretty pitted so they're shinier but not 100%

On the whole I'm happy with them. The only other alternative is to replace them however maybe not so easy as I'm to believe.

One thing that I'm lamenting is the lack of motorcycle wreckers in NZ. I recall fondly as a young fella searching for parts for my mk2 cortina or 66 Fairmont wagon waltzing thru rows of old cars, picking off bits here & there.

In my minds eye I imagined that would be the same with motorcycles - maybe pick up a tank here or a spare headlite/ footpegs there.
Alas no. All I can do is cyber track parts off trademe etc & whilst is convenient & practically superior, there is no romantic attachment - you know the quest for the holy brake callipers. Nothing like unearthing something that may do the job from under a pile of bits & pieces.

I guess the closest I'll get to that is rummaging around Nordieboys garage...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #44
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,536
Looks like you need to soda blast this to get it to look nice again.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #45
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
[quote=Padmei]

(Crocidile Dundee voice)

Ya call that a drainplug?

THAT"S not a drainplug!

THATS a drainplug!

great writeup and project Padmei - am in awe of someone who can do this - i appreciate that lots of folks on here can, but i ain't one of them!
Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote