Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #601
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,423
We stopped for another breif break at the Cob cottage.

Whilst there we ran into a cute lil pig headed redhead. She introduced herself as Shewolf. She & a couple of friends were traipsing thru to Hanmer & around.

We caught up with their friends at the top of Ward pass.

An alternative descent from Ward saddles skirts down beside the road. We had dropped down there on a previous trip & decided to give it another go. It was down here that I realised the ground clearance was far too low on Schmidtty to do much off road. Apart from a bit of bog at the bottom it was an unremarkable descent. it was however at the bottom on a safe flat side bridge where i would dismount quite embarassingly.

I had tagged behind Nordie & Woodman down however was wondering if Pete had followed us. As I slowed down to stop after reaching flat land I had a quick look over my shoulder to see if Pete was visible & OK. I spied his headlite coming thru the bog as I felt the front of my bike softly slide off the road. Stepping slightly abashed off Schmidtty (yes in front of girlies) I procured assistance to reestablish its rightful presence on the road.
The lesson my friends is to secure your own safety first before checking on others It was a laugh for our new found friends & another great photo opp.

The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful. We rode effortlessly along isolated flat & the accompanying ravines.

There is a sullen beauty within this wide valley. The world sits in greyscale harmony within these confines. The river, a dusky grey glacial consort unravelled unimpressed by our machines & intentions. The steep slopes of scree & rock were interspersed with clumps of schrub. Occasional green strips of grass lined the river bank but often the only compromise in colour was the everpresent purple of the lupin. Lupins, the protestors of monochrome.

Time was pressing & coffee addiction is a harsh infliction. Turning off onto Jollies Pass the condition of the road suddenly deteriorated. We were now surrounded by pines. Glancing up from the road during the steepish decline, the land beyond was green & bountiful.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #602
Padmei OP
enamoured

After the dusty slightly rumpled adventure bikers sampled what must be the largest sausage rolls ever at a Hanmer cafe they sauntered back to their bikes ready for the return through the Rainbow road back to Nelson.
A quick fill up for the tanks & up Jacks Pass we rode. The ascent was fairly indicative of what was to follow. The road was incredibly dusty with deep gravel.
At one stage Woodman & I nearly rearended a people mover that we assumed had stopped in a cloud of choking dust for us to pass. The corners were slippery and the middle mound of washed out gravel was scary.

Quite soon after leaving Hanmer Woodman pulled over complaining of loss of power. A fairly glugged K&N filter was disassembled & washed out with powerade. It seemed to do the trick & off the 780 roared.

The fords arrived fairly quickly for us - quite a welcome reason to cool off our heels

I have always wanted to visit Morocco. There is something seductive about riding in such a exotic location. Sadly I don't think I will ever get to travel there however if I shift my perception sideways, in this arid environment I could easily be riding towards the Atlas mountains, a warm sirocco ruffling my tattered riding cloak...

Welcome to my Morocco...

Pete-blen ben amin

Nordie ben amin

By now our appearances didn't matter. We were beduoins in a land without compromise.

The scree slopes joined the road. At times it felt I was riding on a slushy. My tyres felt flat as I squirreled along at pace. At this stage the dust had entered all orifices & a constant companion.

The K&N became clogged once again so another dousing was called for. Ahead of us the end beckoned. It had been a great ride with excellent company & incredible conditions.

As a shakedown ride for the upcoming Dusty Butt later in January it was perfect highliting any issues that needed attention before heading away for a multi-day trip. Towards the end of the Rainbow road the surface changed from gravel to hard-pack. The big dangers here were the large deep potholes that came up unexpectedly.

My bike bottomed out repeatedly & as a consequence my new batterybox fell onto the rear tyre - I quickly bent it back into shape & repositioned it. Nordies footpeg bolt broke due to severe foot stomping action while Petes muffler was severely dented from repeated bashings by the brake calliper on the swingarm. He had lowered the suspension to suit his size however after this episode he will have to put his impressive engineering skills to shifting the calliper. For a man with a munted hand (where you have a hand at the end of your wrist he has a fleshy lump) I am in awe of the incredible engineering work he produces & his riding skills in pretty knarly situations.

The sun was dropping in the sky as we bade our goodbyes & cruised off home. After more than 81/2 hours in the saddle over 500kms, home, my loving family & dinner was a fitting end to a fantastic day.

Thank you for listening.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #603
Shewolfnz
Heels on wheels

Oddometer: 119
Thumb

nice ride report

that is beautiful country alright, I was a bit like a stunned mullet riding through. Ride report, photos and vid of you lot to come when I get back to broadbandland

Shewolfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #604
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
After the dusty slightly rumpled adventure bikers sampled what must be the largest sausage rolls ever at a Hanmer cafe they sauntered back to their bikes ready for the return through the Rainbow road back to Nelson.
Hell yeah!
Attached Images

NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #605
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
=Padmei;17611075
Hell NO !!
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #606
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
nice report Padders - your prose and wit is excellent! - photos pretty cool also
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #607
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
nice report Padders - your prose and wit is excellent! - photos pretty cool also

Thanks lionman. Actually I will admit to how crappy my pics are as can be seen by the lack of definition & blurriness but I have covered all that in my search for a good camera thread. It would be good when Nordie gets a few of his posted to show the real terrain. It was a time for wine & proses...
Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #608
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
Awesome Padmei. Not sure Shewolf will like being called Pigheaded? Maybe pigtailed might be a better description?
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #609
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
Hell NO !!
You know you want me
Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #610
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Thanks lionman. Actually I will admit to how crappy my pics are as can be seen by the lack of definition & blurriness but I have covered all that in my search for a good camera thread. It would be good when Nordie gets a few of his posted to show the real terrain. It was a time for wine & proses...
Working through 170 photos (took video too so skimped a bit on photos)...
Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #611
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 858
Very good, always a good read.Definitely a great day.
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #612
Shewolfnz
Heels on wheels

Oddometer: 119
yeah, nah....he's spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
Awesome Padmei. Not sure Shewolf will like being called Pigheaded? Maybe pigtailed might be a better description?

Shewolfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #613
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
We stopped for another breif break at the Cob cottage.
much more better thread than that other airhead thread - he never uses his cylinder heads to stop the bike sliding off the track

you nearly ruined the RR by misspelling 'brief'
you moran

twas a good read
Old 12-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #614
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
much more better thread than that other airhead thread - he never uses his cylinder heads to stop the bike sliding off the track

you moran

twas a good read

I couldn't sleep at all knowing it was sitting there for all to see - well ok maybe the 5 or 6 regular visitors
Old 12-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #615
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post

you moran

twas a good read
And you were on the cusp of wrecking it by mis-spelling Moron

Nice RR btw Padders
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote