Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
And you were on the cusp of wrecking it by mis-spelling Moron

Nice RR btw Padders
I thought Padders would be more comfortable with the red neck spelling

Ever since my kids found this image a couple of years ago - this how we spell it
Old 12-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #617
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,435
Speaking of Morans, I made up a simple yet stylish throttle control. You may have seen it on Undergrounds tennis elbow thread. I get a bit of tendonitis sometimes from mtbing, work & the other thing. I had a looksie around the workshop & came up with this. mtb tyre lever & a couple of rubber bands.

Pretty simple to use - just open up the throttle a bit & with your thumb slide it around till it is held in place with the brake lever. I really really like it. On long straights it gives me a few moments rest for my right hand, where I'd be waiting for a downhill.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #618
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
mtb tyre lever & a couple of rubber bands.
Can't you find a German one?
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #619
Shewolfnz
Heels on wheels

Oddometer: 119

f1cr

Shewolfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #620
Padmei OP
enamoured

Cool baby.
Those long gravel roads are calling me again.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #621
Padmei OP
enamoured

Today after numerous calls, bribes & threats we managed to farm the lil ponies off to friends & Mrs Padmei & I had the opportunity to take a lovely ride thru the nearby Moutere hills.
It was the first time for Mrs Padmei on Schmidt & she commented on how much more upright it felt compared with Gonzo the KLR. Luckily she is a natural trusting pillion & relaxed pretty easily on the back.

It was a nice relaxing ride pootling over the hills looking at the vineyards, blocks of raspberry bushes & rolling pasture. As I sisn't want to deter her from any future rides I purposely kept the speed at a sedate pace & cornered conservatively. We took in the gravelled climbs over Jacobs ladder & Rosedale hill & it really was like we were tourists in our own backyard.
After an hour & a half of riding we headed in to Mapua Wharf for a delicious lunch overlooking the swiftly flowing channel that seperates mapua from Rabbit island.

Of course at our lunch destination there was the usual people commenting on the bike. The old boxers certainly do have that aura of adventure about them.

Anyway what I discovered today about the bike was very interesting to me. Although when riding solo I have excellent 1 finger braking on the front & moderate but useful rear braking. Having a passenger definitely shows the defiency in braking & if I was to carry on with long 2 up trip planned I would get a better disc & rebuild the calliper.
Also whilst the rear Wilbers was great (probably even better 2 up than solo) the front sag was pronounced & brake dive quite savage.
Schmidt did feel very planted tho on the gravel & I can see in this role as a gravel long distance tourer it is a fantastic bike.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #622
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,113
Quote:
Luckily she is a natural trusting pillion & relaxed pretty easily on the back.
Does she know you?
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #623
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,357
Glad you are both enjoying the bike... reward for the effort

Quote:
Anyway what I discovered today about the bike was very interesting to me. Although when riding solo I have excellent 1 finger braking on the front & moderate but useful rear braking. Having a passenger definitely shows the defiency in braking & if I was to carry on with long 2 up trip planned I would get a better disc & rebuild the calliper.
Also whilst the rear Wilbers was great (probably even better 2 up than solo) the front sag was pronounced & brake dive quite savage.
Haven't you already upgraded the front brake?? Bear in mind that greater braking power will only exacerbate the fork dive; and even if you get that sorted, hard braking will still give your pillion hell. Sure it's nice having plenty of reserve, but forward planning and carrying more apex speed works well for me, ummm, "us".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #624
Padmei OP
enamoured

Wednesday avo, the kids are watching a movie, fresh fish is being cooked & the fries are in the oven.
I have finished packing for the Dusty Butt & only have to try & sort out the gps thing properly before I leave tomorrow morning.

I am heading down the west coast & probably staying at Franz Josef or Haast depending on weather, tiredness & accomodation availability. Hopefully the band of rain coming up will pass by without too much drama & the triathletes heading down for the Wanaka Challenge won't fill up all the backpackers.

Of course it's not till you are ready for a trip that things start playing up. I went for a ride on Monday & was increasingly worried about what seemed excessive rattling noise & vibration. I went in today after the bike was loaded to my friendly mechanic & he reassured me it seemed all good. I think it was riding the KLX on Sunday that made Schmidtty seem so much more rattly than usual.

The weekend proved to be a productive time for finishing off a few things on Schmidtty. I had on the friday folded some heavier duty panel steel (1.6mm) for a new battery box. With the guillotine & folder it took about 20mins & looked good. Unfortunately when I test fitted it I realised I had made it too wide & the shock would rub against it. from the rub marks on the shock & 1st battery box it looked like the shock had knocked the box off the frame after hitting the big pot hole on the Rainbow.

So after straightening one side out I refolded it using the old vice & hammer technique - not as pretty but functional. I had to screw a manky piece of wood to the side to keep it wedged in & spaced out from the shock.

The kill switch sits on the side of it too.

I also bodgied up an adaptor for using the oem clutch cable with a generic clutch cable. The OEM cable has an end with a diameter too wide to fit in a standard adjuster. It also requires spacing of the outer from the adjuster for it to operate properly as the inner is much longer than standard cables.
All I could find in the Schmidt Motorwerks werkshop was an old caphead bolt so that had to do. I drilled a 4mm hole thru the whole thing, ground the thread off till the diameter was about 7mm & cut a groove for the cable to slip thru without having to mess around with replacing nipples.
I will at a later stage turn a couple of pretty ones up on Nordies itty bitty baby lathe.

This is getting annoying now as my new laptop keeps bloody freezing & I lose most of my posts.

Padmei screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 10:05 PM
Old 01-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #625
Padmei OP
enamoured

I gave the old boy an engine oil change & the old black oil didn't look too bad - no nasty bits lurking in the bottom of the drain container. I have noticed today that there are a few seeps around the neutral switch & bottom gasket. I used good Mineral oil so who knows.

I had put off changing the fork oil for ages cos I thought it meant disassembling the forks & potentially rooting seals. Nutso the fountain of knowledge pointed me in the right direction as usual & after draining the oil (which again looked not bad - still clearish in colour) I filled one leg with Raspberry & one with Blueberry.
Of course there is that amendment to Murphys rule where the fluid most likely to be split is the one that needs to be accurately measured!! Another job for when I get time...

Along those lines I will have to replace the front brake pads.

So with all the little jobs done I am now ready to take it on its first big trip since the fateful Dusty last year.

I aim to leave tomm morning & head down the West Coast overniting at either Franz Josef or Haast. According to Google it should be about 6 & something hours to get there so I will have a bit of time to do some sight seeing. There is some spectacular travelling down the West coast especially past Punakaiki.
On the Friday I will travel thru to Fairlie which is around 5hrs or so. I know a few guys doing the Wanaka Tri so may call in to wish them luck on the way.

Oh btw on Sat evening I found myself with a few spare hours alone so blatted out to Cable bay for a teat ride. Whilst out there a friendly long haired German chap by the name of Roman wandered over for a chat. he was riding a mighty GN250 but had a R75/7 back home & rode around Aussie on a R100GS.
Airhead owners- they're everywhere :)

Padmei screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 10:23 PM
Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #626
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
teat ride
Hope the German didn’t get involved!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #627
Padmei OP
enamoured

Hi all. Schmidtty has been running beautifully so far. The only thing that is a bit dodgy is when hot it is hard to get into first/neutral/second. It seems the clutch doesn't work very well after long rides.
any advice would be appreciated. I've treid adjusting the cable out and in and seems to move quite well but sounds like a bucket of bolts
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #628
Padmei OP
enamoured

Seems like the clutch is grabby.
it was the cleanest it ever was after riding thru the rain yesterday.
off to bed now gotta big day tomm.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #629
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,038
Quote:
Seems like the clutch is grabby.
it was the cleanest it ever was after riding thru the rain yesterday.
off to bed now gotta big day tomm.
If the cable is adjusted okay (& I note the modified fitting), it may be the actuation piston. That can swell when its hot as the piston gets older. You may recall that Gus suffered from that on one of my trips thru the 42nd. Normal clutch operation resumes when it cools down.

The fix is to take it out (release the cable, remove the actuation arm, remove the rubber boot, & fish it out), & to take a small amount of material off it. Phil suggested spinning it in a lathe, but I wonder if a more bush ranger fix might not be just to give it a bit of a sand with progressively finer sand paper? Needs a smooth finish

I replaced mine, so didn't take this advice.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 08:12 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #630
Padmei OP
enamoured

Thanks nutso. i will give Schmidt a water blast then look at it further.

Bit of a wrap up for the trip to & from the dusty Butt.

I took off on Thursday morning bound fo rthe West Coast all packed with a bag full of spares including a coil, bean can & bunch of crap. To be honest I was quite nervous that after gettig stranded in Lawrence last year with the gearbox seal I may rn into further difficulties this time. As it turned out apart from the clutch problem Schmidt did me quite proud.

The overriding factor of this years ride was that for about 80% of the ride I was very cold & that affected my mental state & riding. I feel the cold in often quite normal temps and while exercising in the outside environments can offset it by working harder, sittting for long periods on a naked bike takes it toll with me imitating the guys off Dumb & dumber frozen to the seat of their mini bike.
This year I felt the cold seeping in about an hour south of Nelson on the Hope saddle. i stopped at Westport for reviver coffee & later at Punakaiki threw on all my layers.
The skies were darkening as I headed deeper into south westland & the rain hit at Harihari. it was almost dark when I stopped at Franz Josef where I stopped in for a night at the backpackers.

Very early the next morning I headed out into a beautiful chilly morning. Past Bruce bay the bush bordering the highway was a deep dark green lending a mysterious air to the surroundings. Climbing up over the Haast the day got warmer & my riding became fluider. By the time I hit Lake Hawera, it was picture perfect.