Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #661
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
With a bit of experimenting a happy dose of throttle on ascending small lumps tended to raise the guts of the bike at the top.
Not so much with the lift from the paralever - definitely a good monolever trick though. Getting the front lighter, more extended, & using some momentum is always going to help though.
Quote:
I got a little stuck exiting the track onto the road...
A side benefit of your replacing the collector box is that you also increased your ground clearance - sort of. Look at the difference between GuzziTony's bike & Gus. The hang point on your bike will now be the centrestand. The bit that gets hung up is just in front of the rear wheel. Tony's centrestand is also noticeably higher & less instrusive than Gus's (but Gus's is probably better for stability when deployed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Yours is a paralever, isn't it? For the R1150GS you can get an adjustable paralever brace. Not sure if this is available for the R80GS. You could probably shorten one a little bit to get a lift.
Effectively you are rotating the wheel on the pivot bearings. But would you not also need to increase the shock length or move the pivot point to take advantage of that? Then you would also need to check max & min extension lengths to make sure you weren't going to bust anything on max & min compressions.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 01:02 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #662
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,072
Quote:
I went for my usual hinterland wander this avo & took Schmidt offroad along some of the dirt tracks that seperate the highway from the forests.
Those bits are good fun
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #663
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Cheers guys.

I went for my usual hinterland wander this avo & took Schmidt offroad along some of the dirt tracks that seperate the highway from the forests. He went remarkably well. The ground clearance issues only became a problem when cresting clay summits with steepish sides or riding shallow ruts with rogue crusty lips sticking out.. With a bit of experimenting a happy dose of throttle on ascending small lumps tended to raise the guts of the bike at the top.
After a while the effort of input into riding offroad lessened as I used it's momentum to maintain a steady track thu the hard dry rutted clay. As I didn't notice the suspension at all ( apart from a fork bottom out over a deep culvert) I would say it's doing its job admirably.

I got a little stuck exiting the track onto the road...

I really need to get the throttle overun fixed tho...
I used to find smooth was the key when riding trails and I was looking ahead picking lines to best suit the GS all the time, and those lines more often than not where different to what the singles took. On a DR or similiar you just switch your brain off and twist the throttle, with the GS every hump and bump is planned in advance.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #664
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Yep, you definitely need to plan ahead more with the GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
On a DR or similiar you just switch your brain off and twist the throttle.
And you're injured at the moment...

Hmmm...

Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #665
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Yep, you definitely need to plan ahead more with the GS.

I see, that's where I've been going wrong. If in doubt give it heaps has not always worked for me.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #666
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 799
Give it as much throttle as possible so you wheelie up the hill.The reason you got stuck where you did was that you slowed down to look for traffic.

Or not.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #667
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,328
Good feedback guys.
The problem with where I took it was it was heavily & deeply rutted in parts so I had to approach the top with caution as the other side was hidden. On the way back I knew what the track was like so I kept the throttle on smoothly. As you say Eddie with the drz I just twist & go.

Nutso you're right about the point of ground clearance - I feel the centrestand banging quite often. Have you ridden Tony's bike? What's it like in comparison?

Woodman you're right too. The exit is on a blind corner & I did slow down at the top. The gravel under the bike was very soft tho & just sprayed away.

Now that the Dusty is done & dusted & given that I'll prob take bits off in Winter for further 'modification', I will take it thru the forest & see how it handles some rougher stuff. (I won't be going with Nordie tho cos he will 'find' some tracks down the end of a steep hill that end up with metre deep narrow ruts) Thais may end up in tears however
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #668
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Hey! That was only once(ish)!

I need to take the DR up there some time too.

Just to make me appreciate how light and maneuverable the TT is.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #669
Padmei OP
enamoured

Well just to bring everyone down on a Friday nite, the worst possible thing has started to happen to Schmidt.

Yep the water blaster has caused some of my professional painting on the tank to flake off.

Red is showing

Again

Sigh...

I have taken my carbs off again tonite to get to the bottom of the throttle overrun. It has been a fairly consistent problem since the bike was put together the last time. I have been compensating by dropping the revs with my back brake going into every bloody corner.
I will take stuff apart & check all jets are free etc but if anyone has any ideas what may cause it sing out. The throttle seems to spring back pretty smartly as I have hairy chested man springs on mine - not good for stringy armed Wellingtonian office workers but there you go.
I will test the floats to see if they... ahem... float

I was working on a R90S today.
I was the airhead expert
Yep we got that new battery in good
I sat on it & revved it.
It went vroom wroom
It felt nice
No funny noises from the engine
so I think it will probably blow up soon.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #670
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:
No funny noises from the engine
so I think it will probably blow up soon.
Yes, that's not a good sign at all :-). The valves are probably way too tight.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #671
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
Nutso you're right about the point of ground clearance - I feel the centrestand banging quite often. Have you ridden Tony's bike? What's it like in comparison?
I've sat on it, not ridden it. Visually it looks a little taller, & a little lighter (partially because of the exhaust). The cockpit is quite different to Gus - more road feeling because of the instruments.

Quote:
I have taken my carbs off again tonite to get to the bottom of the throttle overrun. It has been a fairly consistent problem since the bike was put together the last time. I have been compensating by dropping the revs with my back brake going into every bloody corner.
I will take stuff apart & check all jets are free etc but if anyone has any ideas what may cause it sing out. The throttle seems to spring back pretty smartly as I have hairy chested man springs on mine - not good for stringy armed Wellingtonian office workers but there you go.
I will test the floats to see if they... ahem... float
Put a new air filter on yet? Might pay to do that before you do more. And maybe drop the idle down a little. Also balance the carbs. That will make a major change

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 10:19 PM
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #672
Padmei OP
enamoured

You mean new air filter since I got it or just as a yearly thing? It came with a Unifilter that was pretty rooted so replaced with a standard paper one. I cleaned (knocked & vacuumed from reverse side) the airfilter out before the last weekends ride. That improved the problem I had with lack of power after the dusty.
In taking off the carbs tonite I noticed there was a fair bit of red muck at the front of the carb so dust must have been getting past the filter.

The carbs were balanced & idle set by my mechanic a while ago however it was bugging him the way the revs didn't drop immediately. It was a Fri nite & as he was already working overtime on a Guzzi I didn't want to keep him from his hometime.

BTW I take all you guys' complete lack of sympathy about the colour change quite personally.
I'm hurt & prob will refrain from further posting until a full apology is rendered
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #673
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
BTW I take all you guys' complete lack of sympathy about the colour change quite personally. I'm hurt & prob will refrain from further posting until a full apology is rendered
No sympathy at all. Schmiddty just wants to go back to looking like he used to..The current owner is just too harsh - using a water blaster. What was he thinking!

Gus's filter housing is cleaner since using the foam filter. How often do you clean the KLX's filter?

It doesn't take much for carbs to drop out of balance. Especially if you have taken them off the bike.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 12:03 AM
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #674
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Gus's filter housing is cleaner since using the foam filter. How often do you clean the KLX's filter?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #675
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer: 88
advance retard

Quote:
The carbs were balanced & idle set by my mechanic a while ago however it was bugging him the way the revs didn't drop immediately.
If the idle is set right this sounds more like the advance/retard sticking. Spray CRC/WD40 through the front of the bean can (remove its front cover) to the back, making sure you let it all come back out again and dry it with a rag before sealing up the can and case. Run it for a while to persuade the last oil out before buttoning it all up again. Cannot do any harm (as in if it is sticking it is no good anyway so it is worth a go). Fixed my completely rebuilt and perfectly balanced carbs, but rev holding, R80GS a few weeks ago.

You do know to disconnect the battery before removiing or replacing the engine front cover?!
Regards,
Michael
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote