Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #61
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
I think I might be getting to be a committed bikenut. Shit I want a Mig welder now. Wadaya know about lathes?
You get a lathe, & I'm coming to camp at your place for a while!!

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #62
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT
Shit Craig!!! Do I detect an element of frustration here? Well it's certainly changed the look quickly. I thought you'd decided to lose the fairing, & go 'Basic'.

Re the footopegs, why not just serrate some metal strap & weld onto the existing peg structure. Thats all that some of the wider pegs are you know, & its probably where I'm heading (if I don't cave & buy something already done). Here's an example
Nah not that frustrated really I'm just feeling a bit run down & bit crook & run out of patience easily (spent the avo growling non stop at the kids)

I will go basic when I get the bike going properly & can afford one of those lovely acewell speedos. There is a bit of work involved as you know cos of the electrics in the fairing that needs relocating. I also need to find a headlite that I like.

AFAT footpegs go I want to lower them 25mm or so & I thought it may not be that much more work to rig up a pivot type. If they work for the BM I will make up aome of the KLR.

You can actually get a pretty good paint job out of rattlecans. Not many people seem to know that, as the paints are way better now than what they used to be. I can see Schmidtty being dropped & abused (in the most loving kind of way tho) in the future so like Gonzo It's easy to keep touching up as I go & get a good paint job if I ever decide to sell it.

I know I've said it before but I really appreciate the input - it keeps me motivated & when I think of all the things I've learnt (& unfortunately forgotten) & the people that are willing to help it makes this project a very positive experience ( OK sentimental monologue over now I'll just go & build those hospitals in Nepal now )
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #63
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
AFAT footpegs go I want to lower them 25mm or so & I thought it may not be that much more work to rig up a pivot type. If they work for the BM I will make up some of the KLR.
Did you see these on TM. Would fit. . I won't bid against you.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #64
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT
Did you see these on TM. Would fit. . I won't bid against you.
Thanks Steve but you can have them - wouldn't go with the paint scheme.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #65
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Not sure bro. You mean the KLR or the BMW?

I have a set of Vesrah :VD - 428 pads for KLR650A1-A7 87 - 93for you if you want. I'd rather they go to a good home than hang around in the wkshop.

I think I might be getting to be a committed bikenut as I had to hunt thru boxes of crap for different bikes to find them. I'm quite proud of my shed now

Shit I want a Mig welder now.

Wadaya know about lathes?
Checked the pads today and they are fine, but I can sort you out for those ones soon cheers.
Funny you should mention boxes of crap, cos yesterday I started building a Benelli/KLR hybrid. Pointless but fun and I am astounded at how many spare klr parts I have accumulated.

I got a lathe and a mig, problem is the lathe is quite small and I have no tips etc, and I cannot weld for shit.

Keep up the posts cos you are motivating me to get off my ass and finish the Benelli, and spend $$$$$ on it.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #66
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Nice one man. I like that new paint job.
bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #67
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit
Checked the pads today and they are fine, but I can sort you out for those ones soon cheers.
Funny you should mention boxes of crap, cos yesterday I started building a Benelli/KLR hybrid. Pointless but fun and I am astounded at how many spare klr parts I have accumulated.

I got a lathe and a mig, problem is the lathe is quite small and I have no tips etc, and I cannot weld for shit.

Keep up the posts cos you are motivating me to get off my ass and finish the Benelli, and spend $$$$$ on it.
I expect to see a build thread of the Benelli. There sure as hell aren't many of those floating around.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #68
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
I expect to see a build thread of the Benelli. There sure as hell aren't many of those floating around.
Usually they sink...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #69
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 916
It was lookin good there young fullah, untill you got frustrated and did a half arsed job with the front fairing/
Surely it cant be tooo hard to take off.
I have access to a mig welder and a gas set and..... an old stick welder, if you need anything bird-shitted together
Might even be able to bring it over to you one weekend , for one of mrs Padmei pavs
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #70
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
I love my mig welder. It's like an electric glue gun.
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #71
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Tsk tsk tsk, everyone knows red ones go faster
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #72
Padmei OP
enamoured

Well the brake calliper turned up today - yahoo.

I made a few phone calls & will pick up the spare adaptor from Topliss Engineering tomm while the othera are being made up. The owner had made some up many years ago & kept one for his own GS agreeing to lend me it so I can get the brakes set up for the weekend.

I gave the bike shop a quick call to see if they could hook up a banjo thingy - they said yep & so I headed off to catch them before closing time.

Pootling down to town.
Stopped at the lights I looked down & here's 15 gallons of petrol pissing out of the RHS carb all over my best cutoff slipons. Bugger! I 'd heard about this happening before to others after carb rebuilds & was quietly cocky that apart from being unbalanced the bike was running well. Bugger bugger bugger.

Arrived as the roller door was being dropped & quickly set the bike inside. Jas one of the owners went around to the front to have a look at the calliper -His eyes bulged & stated the obvious - "you've got no Calliper!!??! wherein I quickly whipped it out of my back pack & presented it to him. I don'tthink he was impressed with me riding down there with greasy roads & a crappy back brake. He muttered something along the lines of "...mmmmumble & they complain about Nelson riders in the papers mmmumble"

So hopefully tomm they'll get the brake banjo on & I can fill it up, bleed the brakes & give them a try. I'll also get a WOF & they, bugger it, said they'll look at the float levels & balance the carbs. I'll be pissed off if they find something amiss with the carbs.

As far as the fairing goes I will take it off & give it a better paint job when I have some more time. Next thing however may be dropping the gearbox out & having a look at the clutch. I've seen pics of the insides however itwill be good to have a feel around & see how it works (kinasthetic learner )

Man it looks so much better grey. Gonna get an Iron Cross sticker made up next
Old 09-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #73
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
Might even be able to bring it over to you one weekend , for one of mrs Padmei pavs
pav.....PAV....... OH f@ck now i really wanna head south
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #74
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310
pav.....PAV....... OH f@ck now i really wanna head south
Come with me tomorrow!
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 AM   #75
Padmei OP
enamoured

Got the bike back from the shop today.

I originally went to get the carbs balanced & tuned & a banjo fitted to the new calliper.
The bike runs very nicely now. As soon as i got there Lee pulled out a long screwdriver & in 5 seconds had it sounding 100 times smoother with a little tweak of the idle screw. He had a look at the flooding crb & fouind that when I put the tank back on a thin piece of rubber spliced off the fuel line & went into the carb & blocked the jet. An easy fix. With the carbs balanced the bike still had a slight issue however I can't remember what, as it seemed pretty smooth to me. I think it was just something small that bugged him on a personal level

The front brake turned into a mission creep tho as all I was expecting was a short banjo adaptor made up to fit on the existing hose. That turned into a new stainless steel braided line - bugger (yeah I know brakes aren't something to do crappily but I wasn't looking at spending more money than the calliper).

So the new brake is up & running well. They called me last night & warned me that they didn't like the way the new brakes felt - spongy - however I assured them that they'll be better after a night with the lever cabletied to the handlebars. Sure enough today they were much better.

With the WOF test they picked up the rear brake wasn't returning as well as it should so took off the back wheel to lube the lobes etc & found that the rear drive seal was leaking. It was fine when I had it open previously so it's just happened. They cleaned it up & i'll replace that soonish.

Went for a blast over the Whanga & it was very smooth & pleasant riding. The front brake felt great regardless of the brakefluid pissing out of the brake assembly on the bars & over my trou. Double Bugger - hopefully some easy fix for that. It looks as there may have been an existing leak there at some stage as the paint looks bubbled uner the master cylinder.

Anyway to the adaptor & callipers!!! Here is the prototype adaptor I borrowed attached to the Nissin 4 potters.

I had to grind out a few mill off the adaptor as the mounting hole to the fork wouldn't line up exactly. If you look carefully you'll see where it's ground not so smoothly -a bit roundy if you know what I mean - thats where it wouldn't fit.

Also my calliper doesn't sit exactly middle of the disc - a few mill have to be taken off the calliper mounts.

If you look at the calliper , there is a lip that can be machined/ filed off square that will bring the calliper to center of the disc.

I don't think this is a prob to do. After the ride today there was no noticeable rubbing so they are just running a bit askew.

Hope all this helps those getting these adaptors.