Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #736
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,962
Schmitty looks happy with the borrowed screen. What were the riders thoughts?

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #737
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
The screen was doing a great job of keeping the air off my torso however was directed to my helmet causing more noise than I like - oh well can't have everything

I turned off at the Head of Kenepuru Sound & began the ride Northwards. This is where the seal ended. Here's a typical rural NZ farming road.

It was certainly about the road today. Just riding & looking, looking & riding...

Eventually the curtain of native bush lining the road slid back & my oh my this trip was definitely worth it.

Heading west at the top of the ridge Titirangi bay & the outer islands greeted me. What a magnificient spot.

Turning the engine off I began the 5k downhill to the bottom. Up on the pegs driving the front wheel around the many turns.

Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #738
Padmei OP
enamoured

At the bottom the is a lil campground.

I stopped had some chocolate, waved at the few campers relaxing enjoying a beer in the sun then went for a walk down to the beach.

It must blow a bit judging by the condition of this windsock

A few boats were anchored off the beach fishing but apart from that there didn't look like much else to do there. Although a beautiful spot I don't think I could spend more than 1/2 an hour there without getting bored so i saddled up & had a look arond the neighbouring bay.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #739
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Sounds like you could get away with a quite a bit smaller screen.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #740
Padmei OP
enamoured

A family member has told me a few stories of a commune they stayed in at neighbouring Anakoha bay in the Eighties. I've always tried to picture what it looked like so decided to do a bit of investigative work.

Anakoha bay.

I caught up to a local farmer that told me where it used to be so I went searching. I found a likely address with many old cars, housebuses & vans just left in the bush where they obviously died. Whilst riding around the property a character walked up eying me suspciously. An introduction & bit of a chat revealed he was there way back & knew my relative well & as it then as it usually does, the conversation turned to bikes.
He matter of factly mentioned he had a BMW like mine indicating toward an object covered by a tarp wedged in beside an old beach buggy. A quick peek under revealed a white G/S mono in a condition not too disimilar to mine when I first got it.
I maintained a poker face & asked if he wanted to sell it & guess what????

He said 'Nah I'm never gonna sell it'

Oh well I left him inspired to ride his old one again so hopefully it'll either be ridden by him or trailered away to someone to restore eventually.

I began te hokianga mai & relaxed into a groove weaving my beautiful bike thru corner after corner. Noone around, the road was really sticky now & although my arse was sore my soul was revived.

I rode into Nelson as the evening began with only a brief stop at the top of the Mahakapawa to ease the self-induced seasickness.

To me the Marlborough Sounds are an inspiring place to ride. Not only are the roads usually empty, the scenery is magnificient. I strongly urge those from the North Island or beyond to take a day trip into them before hitting the Molesworth or rainbow, you truly won't regret it.

Thanks for listening
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #741
Oaters
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
A great day for the ride you took Craig - as always - nice report - enjoyed riding along with you :) Meantime I've another 6 weeks before the next xray of my collar bone so still no riding - I had planned to get out on the GS this weekend. However, an xray on Thursday revealed that would not be advisable - takes longer to hear when you're an old fart :)
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #742
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
don't stop now.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #743
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
you have a knack for writing a good story...i get terrible noise of the PD screen,i think i will cut the top off it
Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #744
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 802
Good work and good write up. You picked the right day, sunday is a write off for me and jatz, round the block ride.

my screen directs the wind at my head too which is noisy. It is quieter if removed but is physically harder to ride for long distances.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #745
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Try and angle the screen back a bit so it's less upright and a little closer to you, it used to make quite a difference for me with a similiar screen on my G/S.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #746
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
you have a knack for writing a good story...i get terrible noise of the PD screen,i think i will cut the top off it
Thanks for the nice words. I didn't like the updraft of the stock screen - it also seemed like I was riding a behemoth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Good work and good write up. You picked the right day, sunday is a write off for me and jatz, round the block ride.

my screen directs the wind at my head too which is noisy. It is quieter if removed but is physically harder to ride for long distances.
Yep i'm sitting here looking out at the grey drizzle content to have an indoor day. Your screen is a lot better than the stock 08 screens - they are hideously annoying. I didn't notice any fatigue yesterday (well apart from going without coffee for 8hrs - yes 8 hours- I'm overdosing now to make up for it) so that is a very good thing. The wind certainly does wear you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Try and angle the screen back a bit so it's less upright and a little closer to you, it used to make quite a difference for me with a similiar screen on my G/S.
Yes there is a screen on tradme that i will buy & play with to get right.

I prefer the more honest minmum look of Schmidtty without a screen as it matches what I had in mind fro him however the practical benefits outweigh the aesthetics when it is chilly. The (unstickered) givi screens are reasonably unobtrusive.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #747
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
A great day for the ride you took Craig - as always - nice report - enjoyed riding along with you :) Meantime I've another 6 weeks before the next xray of my collar bone so still no riding - I had planned to get out on the GS this weekend. However, an xray on Thursday revealed that would not be advisable - takes longer to hear when you're an old fart :)
Bugger Aslan, I hope you heal up well. I'm hearing what you're saying about taking longer when you're an old fart - my back & knees are slowly being worn out with manual work. I might have to win lotto & retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
don't stop now.
I could post some pics of the open love nights in the commune from wayback

Any of you other airheads like the old GLs? I grew up loving the huge big Goldwing tourers however when I see the older non faired GL1000s I get that hmmm I could own one of those feelings.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #748
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Any of you other airheads like the old GLs? I grew up loving the huge big Goldwing tourers however when I see the older non faired GL1000s I get that hmmm I could own one of those feelings.
Brother in law has a '79 I think thou in blue, it's quite nice.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #749
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post

Yes, they are nice. People who have a nice one tend to keep it.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #750
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
What happened, I completely missed that incident. Heal well. Mind you, you can do the same thing playing soccer with fellow workmates, as out music teacher has found out.