Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #826
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
If the barrels & pistons weren't too rooted ie not need a lot of money spent on them what do you reckon about fitting them with the R80 heads & reusing the 32mm bings.
Cannot help you with the question about the heads but my personal preference has always been for the 32mm carbs with the (low tuned) later 1000cc engine. Smooth, torquey and ideal for NZ road conditions.
Michael
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #827
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 822
I've got some gasket paper and RTV you can have if you need them...Custom head gaskets
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #828
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Padmei, your headers will fit with 100 barrels. It’s just the bore dimensions that change between r80 and r100 engines - nothing externally.

I’ll most likely use my 80 heads with 100 barrels. Bear in mind, I’m starting with lower comp, US spec. pistons though.

Have you seen this, regarding pushrod tube seal replacement? http://www.pbase.com/dqmohan/prtseals Doesn’t go into the tube replacement, but the ‘bum does in his pages. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pushrodseals.htm

Still not sure about the practicality of doing it with the heads on. Looks like you have to heat things while you freeze the tubes and I dunno what expansion and contraction would do to the head gaskets while they’re only held on by two nuts.

Let me know if you need r80 head gaskets. I have some I can post you if you need them quicker than from motobins for example.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #829
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
The US 1000 bikes came out with 32 bings as standard so they'll work fine.

As Micheal said the 32/1000 combo is good for torque, the 40/1000 combo sacrifices low end for top end.

Out of the 2 motors I preferred the 800, the 1000 is very lazy in comparison, though my 1000 had the 40mm bings. I've not ridden a 1000 with 32's.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #830
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Actually now that I'm thinking clearlyier I'm pretty sure I saw a write up & the heads were left as is & just the barrel was shifted. No excuses for forgetting the oil pressure switch tho.
I will take my spare 1000cc barrels & pistons to an engineering shop to see if they are within specs. Anyone done this before? Woodman you'd know wht to do- any recommendations where to go -I was gonna try Topliss Eng as they are awesome.

If the barrels & pistons weren't too rooted ie not need a lot of money spent on them what do you reckon about fitting them with the R80 heads & reusing the 32mm bings.
Also would the 80 headers fit?

The barrels & pistons were a bonus but I'm not gonna spend money on replacing the whole engine to use them. If it's too much trouble then I may just get them honed & spare rings & sell them on..... for a massive greeedy profit MWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAA
Take them to an engine shop as they will have a better idea than most guys in an engineering shop. Generally they won't charge to measure and assess the bores. Would do it myself for you but haven't got bore gauges anymore but can still have a visual. Find out what the standard bore size is for them as a reference.

I have a vague memory in my head somewhere that i bored a set to suit some other pistons, but it was years ago so things are a bit fuzzy on that one, but used to see a few come through the shop.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #831
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
I got the run down on specs, worn outedness & how pistons work (metalurgically & movementally), ring gap spacings etc today so will have a looksie myself before I take them to the shop. All bloody interesting stuff.

Thanks for the offer IM for the gaskets but I'm not in any hurry at the mo.

BTW can someone please talk me out of buying the cheap pattern peanut cover heads that will break & lose oil as soon as I fart near them. They're sooo cheap but look sooo cooool. PLeeeease can I get some please pleeeease?????
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #832
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

No. I will only let you have the genuine ones. Then cut them in half and make ‘em bolt on from the outside. And weld those aluminum pucks on each corner like you see the BM road racers do.

That was my badass plan. Now I have another.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #833
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
I got the run down on specs, worn outedness & how pistons work (metalurgically & movementally), ring gap spacings etc today so will have a looksie myself before I take them to the shop. All bloody interesting stuff.

Thanks for the offer IM for the gaskets but I'm not in any hurry at the mo.

BTW can someone please talk me out of buying the cheap pattern peanut cover heads that will break & lose oil as soon as I fart near them. They're sooo cheap but look sooo cooool. PLeeeease can I get some please pleeeease?????
dont do it...unless you wanna break them at the first tip over,
Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #834
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Get hold of Vin Orr to do barrelly/pistony stuff.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #835
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Take them to an engine shop as they will have a better idea than most guys in an engineering shop. Generally they won't charge to measure and assess the bores. Would do it myself for you but haven't got bore gauges anymore but can still have a visual. Find out what the standard bore size is for them as a reference.

I have a vague memory in my head somewhere that i bored a set to suit some other pistons, but it was years ago so things are a bit fuzzy on that one, but used to see a few come through the shop.

OK just reading between the lines here - you have sucked in a few too many engine fumes & forgotten most of what you learnt for the first half of your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
No. I will only let you have the genuine ones. Then cut them in half and make ‘em bolt on from the outside. And weld those aluminum pucks on each corner like you see the BM road racers do.

That was my badass plan. Now I have another.
Ooooh do tell you mysterious stranger I like the look of those also but maybe a littttttle posery for my modest adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Get hold of Vin Orr to do barrelly/pistony stuff.
Who & how & where?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #836
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ooooh do tell you mysterious stranger
Oh, nothing you’d like. Check the Gus thread.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #837
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 805
[QUOTE=Padmei;18441430]OK just reading between the lines here - you have sucked in a few too many engine fumes & forgotten most of what you learnt for the first half of your life?= QUOTE]

Wondered that too when I rebuilt the KLR but it was like getting back on a bicycle really.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #838
Padmei OP
enamoured

[QUOTE=innathyzit;18449565]
Quote:
OK just reading between the lines here - you have sucked in a few too many engine fumes & forgotten most of what you learnt for the first half of your life?= QUOTE]

Wondered that too when I rebuilt the KLR but it was like getting back on a bicycle really.
You left out the motor?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #839
Padmei OP
enamoured

Took Schmidtty for a ride up the Maungatapu today. It was warm, sunny & blah blah blah.

I fell off.
Yep look here's the evidence.

Bit of a bugger really cos I wasn't doing anything silly, it just washed out on me going down a slight hill. Broke my mirror too I thought I only did that on the KLR. And brake lever bent.

First gear got a pretty good workout going up there & it was a good ride. I was riding without earplugs & began hearing an air psst noise seemingly every time the front end was compressed. The old brake disc was jangling a merry melody too. I felt like a conductor for a crazy steampunk orchestra.

Just doing a bit of research into the pushrod tube transplant. Joergs page seems the best writeup. Snowbums is pretty overly detailed as always. I have to get a few more things before I do it like o rings & will prob take the heads off to check out the bore & head leaks.

I was very surprised to read Stephen botcher had sold his bike last year. For those of you that aren't familiar with his site, he has documented a great deal of work done to his GS which involved spending shitloads of money.
Igormortis you may want to read about his cracked rim from the excessive offset & nipple something or other.

http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/R100ST_1.htm
Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #840
Padmei OP
enamoured

To do list

Just to help me remember while it is fresh in my mind.

Clean idle jet with wire.
measure fuel level in carb
sand choke face & put in new gaskets
spray weights with crc in beancan thing - to help drop idle
tape cable adjusters together

Get parts for pushrod tubes.
-top o rings, head gaskets, thinner shims for endplay(??), oil pressure switch
gearbox breather boxxer parts 20 euro.

Drop oil pan & check oil pick up.
Remove snapped bolt

Get someone to check timing.
synch carbs

Bend crash bars staight.
Sort out side stand if not using crashbars

bend headlite bracket straight
Run spare wire for heated grips
make small screen to fit above headlite.
Replace bent brake lever & maybe replace master cylinder if damaged
Check if handlebars are rooted
Reweld nut to mirror stalk.
Look for retractable mirror?
foam for battery movement.

Measure out how much wire needed for new loom.

Make shorter subframe.
Make new shorter seat & rack
make footpeg brackets Motoisrael have some i think.

Padmei screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 12:39 AM