Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #1156
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Now I know I've mentioned this before but isn't this a fine piece of engineering? It holds the gear lever arm to the...um... other gear lever arm. Just slide it over the round towball type arrangement & twist around to hold the connection together. Simple & clever.

OK so far so good. Things are progressing fairly smoothly.

We went from this

To this

I put the wheel on & wheeled it out into the sun & out of the cool breeze blowing thru my workshop.

I began to assemble the clutch activating arm assembly for the back of the gearbox when I came across this. A choccy fish if you can tell me where it goes.

Ah yes good answer Grasshopper here in the back of the gearbox

I had everything I needed all ready to go & 12mins later I had the swingarm back off, slid long rod into appropriate receptacle & 25 mins after that had the swingarm back on, pivot bearings preloaded & torqued correctly, lil bugger nuts on & rubber boot over the driveshaft. Getting reasonably quick at it now.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #1157
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,603
There is supposed to be a little foam seal there as well, It's probably long gone on your bike.

Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #1158
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
From there it was wait until a mate came up to help lift the motor into the frame, getting the mounting spacers in the correct way That done it was simply a matter of plugging wires back in, fitting the gearbox onto the motor, airbox & exhaust.]
Don't forget to put the clutch pushrod back in at about this step in reassembly...............

I'm helpful like that.

Michael
Been there, done that (and forgot to put the fuel ine under the airbox before installing it, on two different bikes).
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #1159
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,152
I need one as well. I knew mine was gone.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #1160
Padmei OP
enamoured

The last thing to do was give the carbs a once over, fit them & adjust the cables.

Once again repitition pays off & I had the RHS carb apart, sprayed with carb clean checked all jets except main orifice & reassemebled.
On the LHS carb when taking apart I noticed an amount of claylike junk down an orifice.

A few earbuds worth of crap.

I stripped the carb completely down & gave it a good spray, scrub & blowout

I restripped the other carb to find the same amount of crap in there. Shampooed, rinsed & repeated. Finally I felt confident they were good. Note the queer shape the cork gasket took around the tube above - was the same on both. the cork must deform somehow.

From there I grafted them onto the bike & set up the cables. I was running late as we were going out however I just had to connect the battery & give it a try.

After the 1st touch it instantly roared into life. I was amazed actually as in the manuals it reassures that they won't start straight away but need to be coaxed into life. That was that for the Saturday although I did worry that the valve noise was excessive.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #1161
Padmei OP
enamoured

So this morning I woke, had bit of a titto with the valves again & posted on here.

After some reassurance & not panicing I stepped back, thought of the easiest way to go about things & set the valves correctly. Was it the quiet tappity tap noise from the valves that brought a salty tear to my eye or the pollen from the neighbouring pines I don't know however, my word, Schmidt sat burbling along happily at idle.

Time was running short & the day was cooling down by the time I finally was suited up & coasting down the driveway. My immediate impressions were of how good the front brake worked, how smooth & easily the clutch was & shit the Beemers feel a lot more substantial than the DRZ.

The take off acceleration had me smiling. Obviously nothing compared to modern jap bikes of the same engine capacity but lovely & smooth. It had been a while since I had ridden him but the mid range torque was great & I'm sure more than before - well maybe not but I liked it.

I noticed the hanging revs phenomenon was back tho. I pondered on this as I rode towards the Moutere vineyards & remembered the procedure I had taken to get rid of this problem before. I recall it was to silicon all the intake hoses & spray lubricant in the beancan.
I will wait till I balance the carbs correctly & set the timing right before I delve further into that tho.

So where was I - oh yes twisting over the Moutere hghway as the late afternoon sun burnt thru the branches of the passing pines. The new 'roady' front tyre had me dragging the pegs around a few corners as it dropped very quickly into corners.
I could ride effortlessly at 110ks & there was still another gear left!!! This will really spoil me for the DRZ.

Stopping at Mapua for a kit kat & a slight carb adjustment (alas I forgot no1 screwdriver) I noticed a air bit of oil weeping from the gear change lever seal. Hmmm no worries I will order another one when I get home - surely they can be done with the box still on the bike.
I went to start Schmidt but uh-oh slow cranking. Hmmm ok obviously not charging... Never mind I'll take the long way back home.
Just out of Ruby bay the gear changes were getting looser & looser. I stopped & had a looksie. The hexhead bolt in the gear change lever attached to the box had somehow loosened itself. The tools came out & it was tightened up which incidently slowed (or stopped) the oil leak from the seal.
I pushed the red button & click click - bugger! Flat battery.

Running with it in neutral & crash starting in 2nd along the flat wasn't effective. Ok lets see if this clutch is any good. With my old clutch it was hard to push the bike with the clutch engaged, this new clutch was wonderful tho! In 2nd, clutch in, a quick step & bang we're away

Straight home with no lites on.

So a few things to look at.
I haven't had to go down the no charge avenue before so that'll be interesting. I rode home thinking about the wires I had pulled off & wondered which one wasn't making good enough contact.

A long weekend ended & the bike is running finally. As I closed the wkshop door I spied the frame of Berlina hanging up...mmm
Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #1162
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Just a quick note cos I haven’t taken the time to read it all - those cork gaskets will allow air to suck in if they’re deformed.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #1163
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Just a quick note cos I haven’t taken the time to read it all - those cork gaskets will allow air to suck in if they’re deformed.
mmmm interesting i'll look into that thanks. The fit seems pretty tight.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #1164
Padmei OP
enamoured

Charging issue - voltage regulator not plugged in. Sorted.

Quick carb adjustment - LHS carb still playing silly buggers- runs fine when mixture screw turned all way in. Got them kinda balanced but not that smooth at 1100-1200,balanced according to the mammary gland machine but rough, they feel nicer at 1500RPM.
Sprayed start-ya-bastard liberally around both carbs but no discernable difference in idling.

Gonna have to clean up Berlinas carbs & do a swapsie to see if that makes a difference.

Sprayed CRC into beancan to see if that stops revs hanging.

No sign of oil dripping from gear lever since tightening it up.

Stagehand is doing pretty bloody well in the Safari at the mo.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #1165
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
Quick carb adjustment - LHS carb still playing silly buggers- runs fine when mixture screw turned all way in. Got them kinda balanced but not that smooth at 1100-1200,balanced according to the mammary gland machine but rough, they feel nicer at 1500RPM.
LHS shouldn't be running much at all with the mixture screw all the way in. Says that you have an issue there somewhere. Have you ended up compensating with the idle screw? See what it's like if you take that back that back to basic settings.
Quote:
Stagehand is doing pretty bloody well in the Safari at the mo.
Actually he 's had a number of issues including throttle cable breakages & puncturing the fuel tank. He's a persistent bugger though, & I'm surprised he is where he is, given those issues. If he hadn't had those he would be quite well placed - but you could say that about a number of other racers...

9.45pm: Just read over on the Aussie Safari thread that Stagehand may be out with a mechanical issue.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 03:47 AM
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #1166
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,412
I find if you play with carbs and ignition at the same time its gets confusing,,,,
check the choke and throttle cables are slack.
Float heights and valves are ok
modern fuel fouls plugs real quick when doing mixture adjustments.
1 1/2 -2 turns out on the idle to start
turn the adjuster till it touches the butterfly lever and give it 1-2 turns

Are your valve clearances correct?

good times.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #1167
Padmei OP
enamoured

Cheers guys

I have been mucking around a bit more.
I was a tad concerned after I checked the dipstick last week following my 1st ride. The oil level was on the minimum mark. Hmmmm... I tipped close to a litre in to bring it back up to the max level.
I discussed it with my mech today & he said to lose that much oil I would be either seeing smoke while accelerating or when it was bogged down or it would be dumping somewhere.
I wondered of I hadn't lined the oil rings & spacer correctly when reinstalling, the guides may not have been the right ones, or that i should have done a leak test & valve lapping when getting the heads back.
Anyhoo I did a compression test on it with the carbs off.
Both cylinders read 115psi. Good enough reading for me.

I've also been looking into the hanging revs scenario.
I cleaned up Berlinas LHS carb, swapped jets, shifted needles & put on Schmidt to see if that would make a difference. The plugs looked pretty sooty after a cleanup & short ride. I think it is running rich on the needle so will maybe drop it tomorrow & see if it leans it out.

I will also measure the fuel levels in the bowls & maybe tweak the floats if required.

I went for a ride today with the new road tyres from Nelson over the Whangamoas & along the French pass rd. needless to say there were lots & lots of twisties. Jeez Louise the tyres were awesome - they make a big difference to handling & confidence. There is no secondary movement I used to experience from the knobblies while cornering. Scraping the pegs nicely.

The bike felt very good with the exception of a slight hesitation just when accelerating. This seems to be a symptom of an overly rich mixture. I rode the bike hard in the higher rev range & the performance was much much better than before the head job/ timing chain replacement. The revs weren't hanging up as much but weren't dropping quite as quickly as they should.
I'm going to silicon around the intake hose first & then silicon around the outside of the carb.

I was also wondering if the intake stub hoses come in different lengths as both airbox to carb hoses seem to look to be back a few mm more than they should be.

I got home & looked at the dipstick - stayed on maximum. Went & looked at the oil container- 1 1/2 litres left out of a 4 litre container - DOH i must have either forgotten to put the 2nd litre in, got distracted 1/2 way thru or thought I had a 5 litre tub like Nordie gets. Not the first time I've done it either

Anyway much food for thought. I will delve back into the most excellent Bing book & work my way thru.
Thanks for listening
Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #1168
Padmei OP
enamoured

Got around to tuning up Schmidt.

Retorqued the heads
rechecked the valves
rechecked the timng
Checked plugs - LHS one looked whiter than before.
Put original LHS carb back on
gave initial carb tune

Went for short ride
-revs not dropping

Readjusted idle right down on LHS carb - don't adjust carbs while cold!!!

Went for ride
revs dropped but not significantly like a thumper. The engine braking isn't as good as a thumper. Feels like the inertia of the bike is pushing the engine to rev faster than it would normally on the flat. Working but not as effective as I imagined.

Balanced carbs at idle. I don't have to adjust it much more when on the vacuum guage after balancing with the ear. Getting better at hearing what should be right.
Balanced carbs at 3K. Still sounded good back at idle after too.

Timing mark on S is jumping a bit.
The Z is better but not rock solid. not sure what's up with that. It sits dead in the middle of the line tho & that's the big thing.

Went rally riding thru the gravel roads around the Hira forest. I found the limits of the roady tyres around loose bends & also going down steep loose drops.
I learnt to ride not touching the front brake. My hands were frozen so I couldn't feel my fingers anyway.

Dunno about offroading on the R80GS paralever. Seems everytime I go rough the bike feels like it begins to fold in half. Can't really explain it better than that. Like lifting an old heavy mattress with 2 people

I'm often thinking about turning berlina into an offroad bike but yeah nah unsure if they're really made for that.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #1169
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

They certainly aren't a KLX400 for instance, & there are probably better tools in the shed, but aside from ground clearance I have no issues punting Gus around....

Old 10-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #1170
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
I'm often thinking about turning berlina into an offroad bike but yeah nah unsure if they're really made for that.
Who would do such a thing!

igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote