Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #1216
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,530
The obvious answer is two bikes. I only use my old R80GS Basil with 125k for adventure rides and the "new" R1150GS with 173k for touring and commuting. Last time Basil gave me a fright when I pressed the starter. He started right up, a bit wheezy at first, but he kept going, no worries :-). I've I get really into a bind, there is always my wife's F650GS twin, that never misses a beat.
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #1217
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,029
Airhead Philosophy

New bikes – all the parts are at the beginning of their lifecycle. Unless there is a faulty part (Michael), every thing works as a system. Unfortunately Michael's Dakar seemed to be a system of broken parts....

Airheads are fairly under stressed, & so should go on for a long time if properly maintained. So Padmei’s approach of recondition it, & then leave it to get on with it should work. But that system thing sometimes can catch you out.

I do like looking at the scenery. Excess speed (especially on the road) doesn’t do it for me. More modern bikes just don’t ring my bell much - possibly because I’m too old, slow, & unfit to make the best of them. The KTM probably created some incorrect assumptions about my riding abilities. Imagine what it would have been like if I had gotten the 950.

I have had Boxers for a long time now, so am comfortable with them. I do prefer to ride them.

I really like the comradeship / friendship that Adventure riding has given me. That for me has been a big reward. And worldwide there is a big group of top guys & girls that are similarly into their Airheads

Gus is pretty unique, but he’s just a hobby. I don’t ride him every day, or weekend, or even every month. Gus is a passion - & he shouldn’t become a vice – like gambling or alcohol. So I probably shouldn’t be sneaking in bits, or hiding the Visa bill (like I do…). I probably need to remember that more (& maybe shouldn’t show this admission to Mandy)….

I like spannering on Gus, where what I am doing:

1. Results in an improvement (IMHO);
2. Represents the culmination of a period of ‘figuring out a solution’.

Realistically he is evolving over time. But becoming less & less standard. That may become an issue. I expect to get a long service life from Gus.

Some of the more disposable bikes need money tossed at them earlier in their lives, because it just wouldn’t be economic to do so later.

I hate being in a situation (like recently) where the so called improvements are backward steps, & I dislike (intensely) being in a situation where all I can see is further money to be spent. I have goals for what I am doing & I want to reach them.

If Gus isn’t running well, I’d rather fix it (now) than put up with a fault. But recently I think I’ve given an impression of unreliability, which I hate. Jetting is tweaking..

He’s also old, so geriatric issues will arise from time to time. I need to accept that

I’m probably too impatient to always get the finer cosmetics right.

I have learned a heap working on Boxers

I'd love to have two (working) bikes, but realistically that isn't going to be a happening thing for a bit...

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 12:54 AM
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #1218
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
If you could swap Schmidtty for Gonzo, would you? In hindsight would you still do what you have done?

Are you thinking of upgrading?

EDIT. Sposed to go before your big post so ignore it.

Your philosophy on Gus is similar to me and the KLR. Never going to sell it as its worth sweet FA. Also I like just slowly improving something as I go along, sorta personalises it to me.

Yea yea its a KLR not an airhead.

innathyzit screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 01:02 AM
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #1219
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Are you thinking of upgrading?
That post was in response to something Padmei posted over on Olds Cool...
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Your philosophy on Gus is similar to me and the KLR. Never going to sell it as its worth sweet FA. Also I like just slowly improving something as I go along, sorta personalises it to me. Yea yea its a KLR not an airhead.
But the same rules apply. Heaps of knowledge out there, long model run (so parts aren't an issue), relatively understressed, so should just keep on going with the proper care.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #1220
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
So Padmei’s approach of recondition it, & then leave it to get on with it should work. But that system thing sometimes can catch you out. ...
I am a railway engineer, in NZ, so I am familiar with aging equipment. Sometimes maintenance and even repairs are not enough and you have to do a complete renewal of an old locomotive, multiple unit or other piece of equipment. Zero time everything, remove corrosion, make modifications andf re-plumb and re-wire. Otherwise you just travel from one part or system failure to another, with each causing its own service failure on another day, day after day.

Time for a life extension overhaul of Schimidt, rather than running repairs!

Michael
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #1221
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 857
Padmei? what have you already done to Schmidt, can't be that much left untouched now except maybe gearbox and bottom end.
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #1222
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmckeon View Post
I am a railway engineer, in NZ, so I am familiar with aging equipment. Sometimes maintenance and even repairs are not enough and you have to do a complete renewal of an old locomotive, multiple unit or other piece of equipment. Zero time everything, remove corrosion, make modifications andf re-plumb and re-wire. Otherwise you just travel from one part or system failure to another, with each causing its own service failure on another day, day after day.

Time for a life extension overhaul of Schimidt, rather than running repairs!

Michael
Nah (assuming that the gearbox whine is indicative of impending failure), it does rather sound like the overhaul that was done last year (?) wasn't done properly. can't have done too many miles since then. Maybe time to talk to that guy again?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #1223
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,422
Interesting discussion my friends.

There was a thread on oldscool where a guy was at the end of his tether cos his old airhead - his only vehicle -kept breaking down & left him without transport. I commented that I may get to that point at some stage where I get sick of working on Schmidt & resort to a modern jappa for riding. That's pretty much the context Nutso's question came from.

I'm not about to get rid of Schmidt. I am fond of his looks, character & performance. I like working on him & enjoy immensely finding solutions, making modifications, learning about what makes him (& other similar machiney) tick. I'm pretty chuffed to be honest how much I have learnt as far as basic mechanical stuff, engineering processes & fabrication skills in the last year or so I've been working on him.

Some things don't phase me about working on the bike - the electrics don't really bother me & it's not cos I'm a sparky either - I'm a basic house basher/ renovation sparky & have as much or less knowledge about how 12v DC or technical stuff works as the average home mechanic. I just don't get hung up on it as I do about other more mysterious stuff.
if something goes wrong in the engine dept I kinda look forward into delving into there to see if I can be successful in sorting the prob & learn some more. The forks may get a looksie one day when i've run out of things to look at.

What annoys me really I the whole driveline stuff. I've gotta admit I think the whole driveshaft thing sucks. Give me a chain & sprocket set up any day. My driveline thing I think mirrors Michael's experience with his newer dakar. A series of problems. I thought I did the right thing sending the gearbox down to a recommended BMW mech to get checked over ( was given the ok - i can't remember of the circlip was in there but judging by Gus not having one & them prob being in the same batch i don't think it does) to have it returned with the wrong seal installed then returned again with a leaking seal- now it's whining...

I also got a UJ rebuilt for roughly half the price of a rebuildable driveshaft - will the rear UJ go next?
It's the spending extra money & time on something I thought was fixed for my lifetime with the bike that pisses me off

yeah nah the driveline thing sucks allright. Give me a chain & sprocket setup anyday.
The engine is running beautifully smoothly at the mo.

I guess the thing that bugs me the most is I don't trust it to take me far from home which is ironic given the reputation BMW bikes have There's not a lot left to replace really on Schmidt of consequence - just peripheral stuff like a proper pipe, kickstand etc.

Re having 2 bikes in the shed, while Schmidt was laid up I rode Snotso a bit. I really started to enjoy the different performance characteristics with it. Apart from the buzziness on the road & the seat it was quite fun & great acceleration. I remember starting a thread about how many bikes & why after I bought it.

But for now I'll tittoo around & keep riding when I feel like it.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #1224
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

[QUOTE=Padmei;19922050]Interesting discussion my friends.
My driveline thing I think mirrors Michael's experience with his newer dakar. A series of problems. /QUOTE]

Just for the avoidance of doubt, my series of breakdowns was a repeat of the same thing. Not a plague of problems but the same cause again and again and again for three years. The real issue is that modern BMW's are so complex (and badly made and designed) that something as simple as (what was probably) a connector with less friction (clamp) than ideal cannot be diagnosed and thus fixed. Something waiting also for future owners of current BMW's when they age I imagine.

Just feel I have to harp on about this so we don't lose sight of how much better off we are with old school BMW technology, even if it does not seem so sometimes.

Yes- from what I can see the Paralever is a pretty deficient set up when compared to predecessors and alternatives.
Regards,

Michael

msmckeon screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 11:41 PM
Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #1225
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,530
[QUOTE=msmckeon;19929715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Interesting discussion my friends.
My driveline thing I think mirrors Michael's experience with his newer dakar. A series of problems. /QUOTE]

Yes- from what I can see the Paralever is a pretty deficient set up when compared to predecessors and alternatives.
Regards,

Michael
The pivot bearings suck, the rest seems to run fine. I even have a big dif bearing sitting around which I bought many years ago after a particularly bad bout of final drive advrider-paranoia.

I hate looking after a chain. My wife's F650GS twin is crying out for some chain (a)tension. :-).

The simplicity of a mono lever is nice, unfortunately, I've sold mine.
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #1226
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
The simplicity of a mono lever is nice, unfortunately, I've sold mine.
That is my comparison - the Paralever hardly seems an advance over the Monolever. No shaft jack up or drop, but achieved at the expense its other virtues.

As I stripped the Paralever on my "new" R80GS its installation struck me as being a lot like the sort of bodged up afterthought approach common to updates one sometimes finds on old school British bikes, where the update was carried out without sufficient capiital or development time to do it properly. Somebody was tasked with fitting this new shaft and arm setup into the existing bike without being able to change anything else, hence compromises of awkward access, excessive angles, limited travel and so on.

Yes, I find chains a drag also, a necessary drag if you want a bike without the downsides that go with chosing one that has a shaft, but still a drag.

Waiting for Padmei's Schimidt chain drive conversion thread. Go on, break out the angle grinder, you know you want to! And fit a Japanese gearbox while you are at it and then post the "how to" for us. I just had an awful vision, an entire CX500 engine and driveline swap............

Michael
Old 10-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #1227
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmckeon View Post
I just had an awful vision, an entire CX500 engine and driveline swap............
Michael
Reliable with the exception of the camchain.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #1228
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
I believe I've seen a CX500(?) dual sport conversion around these parts. Looked rather nice if I remember rightly.

**edit - that's adv not Wellington, I should add.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #1229
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
I believe I've seen a CX500(?) dual sport conversion around these parts. Looked rather nice if I remember rightly.

**edit - that's adv not Wellington, I should add.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #1230
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Iv'e never ridden a paralever......or even a Mono....... I imagine the ride is better and more travel with one shock and two shaft joints?
If you want to see a poorly executed shaft drive....Moto Guzzi do them......I'd take chain drive over it any day.
I notice the jacking effect on the R65 but not the R90....
Voltaire is online now   Reply With Quote