Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #1231
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Greetings on this marvellous warm November evening. Here I sit on my cigar chair out on the deck listening to the birds calling from the trees whike a chicken is being cooked in the oven puffing away on a fine White owl cigar.

This week has been wonderful. work has ben fun & I have even managed a couple of mountain bike rides to slowly get the fitness levels back.

I spent last evening riding the back roads of the Tasman area with my adventuring companion Nordie over quiet winding seal, slippery slidey gravel & even a picturesque ford crossing. I was riding thru the still warm air & couldn't put my finger on why it was so pleasant until I realised I was actually quite warm. No numb fingers or shivers of cold air leaking into my jacket. I was thinking it may be time to take the screen off & finally start to enjoy the warmth of the late spring.

Schmidt was running fantastically well & seemed to respond to the carefree nature of our ride accordingly. Even the insects seemed to be out enjoying the ride. One friendly bee thought I was riding a bit too sedately so spurred me on with a lil motivating kiss on my neck. A bit of road weaving followed.

We pulled into the Mapua pub were we caught up with some other Nads. Umopom, rigley, Topo & the Jatz's were waiting for us to arrive supping on lagers & before long we were tucking into tasty gourmet pizzas.

The conversation flowed as we caught up with umopoms tales of the TAT & plans were put forward for future Summer rides. Anatori was placed on the list of must dos. As usual the discussion centred on which bike is best for adventuring & the general consesus was that there was no perfect bike as nearly every bike has had part failures at sometime. It was interesting to hear what others liked about their bikes & what they didn't like about ones they had ridden.

Riding back into Nelson in the dark I dropped down the coastal hills & saw the lites of Nelson ahead. The warmth released from the tar seal rose up dulling the effect of the cooling nite air. The fragrances of jasmine, broom & stinky sweet silage mingled as we rode on. Smudged stars of yellow lites shone thru my visor as we passed under the intersection street lites. Arriving home just as Game of thorns began on the telly was a nice ending to the evening.

Now to technical matters. If I was to get my gearbox rebuilt would it be easier to buy the complete gearbox bearing kit for 89lbs or buy seperate bearings here apart from the expensive 69lb jobbie which must be proprietory BMW bearing? What have others done? I dare say freight wouldn't be that much different for the kit than for just one.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #1232
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,413
I understand some of the bearings are 'special' to BMW....however Maxheadroom ( R90s fan) has done them with stock bearings ( he used to work for SKF).
I have had the shimming plate made and you are welcome to use it.
I've pulled one apart and you could get an engineering shop to press them on the shafts.
The selectors need a few springs and the nylon roller replaced by a small bearing...plus some polishing up for smoother shifting.
once that is done you drop the shafts in put the shim plate on, use a depth guage to work out the shim and so on..
You could be a trail blazer and we could all be in awe. I don't know of anyone who does them otherwise....Kane in Palmy?
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #1233
Padmei OP
enamoured

Thanks Volty. I have read thru Rob zfarmer & voyagers excellent gearbox rebuild thread on ukgsers however I wouldn't like to try myself. My local mech did show me thru one he was rebuilding on the bench which was very interesting but at this stage out of my league.
I will order a new input eal for berlinas box, seal the v notch & try that one out.

As long as it is ready for the dusty butt I'm ok abot it.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #1234
Padmei OP
enamoured

even a picturesque ford crossing

Ahem... Can someone wake up Nordie please he doesn't usually miss his cue - maybe a pic would have gone up sooner if Schmidt was still in the bottom of the river.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #1235
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post

Ahem... Can someone wake up Nordie please he doesn't usually miss his cue - maybe a pic would have gone up sooner if Schmidt was still in the bottom of the river.
MrsJ even offered to get off and walk over that bit but I wouldn't hear of it and just ploughed through. Bit soft in the bottom that ford

How's the wipper snipper ?

ztaj screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 01:57 AM
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #1236
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,154
Off Topic, but I found that CX500 build thread. Clever guy. Worth a read. Listen to the video mid way through

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #1237
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
MrsJ even offered to get off and walk over that bit but I wouldn't hear of it and just ploughed through. Bit soft in the bottom that ford

How's the wipper snipper ?
I think they ordered the wrong gasket in but will go down tomm morn. If i rejetted it & got rid of the old exhaust & put on an expansion chamber i reckon it would get past that 15Krpm limit. It would stumble on reallly fast throttle opening before we opened it up so I'm hoping that'll fix it.
Those cylinders are chrome & should last forever so I think that Titanium piston we were looking at will be compatible. The only thing i'm worried about is if we get it revving to what we want the coil maynot be able to handle the extra heat where it is placed. i was thinking about locating it remotely & someow boosting the spark for stronger detonation.

Why does everyone say it has a soft bottom? Have you guys walked across it before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Off Topic, but I found that CX500 build thread. Clever guy. Worth a read. Listen to the video mid way through
Not so off topic. I had posted a few years ago that I reckon a cx would be a great frankenadvbike. Get rid of the fricking shaft drive tho.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #1238
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Off Topic, that's pretty cool. ugly bikes respond well to dual sporting.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #1239
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 948
I've always quite liked cx500s. Dunno why, just do. The early ones, not the later 650s.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #1240
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,603
I had one for four years. It's not as easy to work on as the R80GS, but I still had a lot of fun with it, once I fitted Konis and fork springs. Still, it was a dog at high speed cornering.

I really wanted to do this, but I didn't have the resources.

Kokopelli screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 12:51 AM
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #1241
Padmei OP
enamoured

The CX was the first 'real motorcycle' I rode when I was a boy. I had a DT175 at the time. Man the CX felt like it had some power in comparison

Went for a quick blast into Wairoa Gorge for an after dinner cruise tonite. On the way back got stopped at a breath testing roadblock. Blew into the machine & chatted to the nice popo then while waiting to cruise off again another cop glances down & says "when does you rego expire?"
"Oh this month sometime..." I respond as I move slowly to the front of the queue
"No it says here last May!"
"Oah OK cheers I'll get that seen to..." brrrrrrmmmm & I'm off before he can say anymore.

Note to self -shift rego & warrant plate to behind exhaust or under mudguard
Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #1242
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Note to self -shift rego & warrant plate to behind exhaust or under mudguard
Strangely enough I've just copied your rego placement (right side of the subframe). I assume that your ride was on Schmidtty, rather than Snotso.

BTW, where did you get your rear mudguard from? And how much?

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 02:41 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #1243
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,603
My rego seems to have fallen off....I blame the rough roads around here.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #1244
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Strangely enough I've just copied your rego placement (right side of the subframe). I assume that your ride was on Schmidtty, rather than Snotso.

BTW, where did you get your rear mudguard from? And how much?

I got the rear guard from the local bike shop. I think it is either a UFO or Acerbis. It wasn't that expensive actually $50-80ish??? i think.

That CX thread is awesome. Guys that can do stuff like that make me sick.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #1245
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote