Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #1246
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
My rego seems to have fallen off....I blame the rough roads around here.
always has a current wof and display facing rear off numberplate. Re the other one um.

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #1247
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
I got a chance yesterday to replace the gearbox on Schmidt with Berlinas one. I replaced the input seal with a new one as berlina had heaps of oil around that area when I opened it up. The seal was actually a bit of a bugger to get off - I broke a drill bit trying to drill for a couple of screws but managed to get it it out eventually. Is there any tricks to getting them out you guys do?

I drained the oil & this is what the drain plug looked like

Similar to Schmidts one really so looks like it is in need of a rebuild too.

I replaced the neutral switch while I was there. I swapped the gear levers over too as they were different - the 65 had no knob on the end.

On the frame I replaced the old neutral & oil pressure switch wiring as it is fairly brittle & gave a false neutral reading thru the last water crossing.
Everything went reasonably routinely & before long I was able to take it for a test ride.

It is interesting as there is that 'clunk' when selecting 1st & the same slow definite action needed changing between 1st & 2nd
The whine has disappeared & the change between 3-4-5 slightly smoother.

A bloody nice cruise was enjoyed & although it sounds a bit queer, the bike felt lighter for some reason.

So now I will run this gearbox while I get Schmidts one rebuilt for the Dusty.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #1248
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
A bloody nice cruise was enjoyed & although it sounds a bit queer, the bike felt lighter for some reason.
It would be lighter without all those metal shavings...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #1249
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
You can almost read the bearing specifications on that swarf.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #1250
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
nope - its lowered centrifugal mass

As the bearing slop increases the gearbox shafts and gear clusters sit lower in the case thereby lowering the center of gravity.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #1251
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Take your photos further back as close up it looks bad....further out meh....

( I have a story about gearbox swarf but best I don't tell it...)
Voltaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #1252
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,962
Nah , go on.... I love a good story...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #1253
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

A long long time ago in a far away place Kiwis go to seek their fortune I rebuilt an R75/5 in the front room of my terraced flat in Seedney......then it was crated up and shipped to London for a Euro trip.
Did a bit more on it as English weather was not kind...
The mechanics seemed ok so were not touched, really a cosmetic restoration..... whist doing the pre trip prep I drained the box and had bits come out......oh well ...thats to be expected on a 19 year old box......
We got a far as Dublin and I noticed noises from the box.....
I rang the only BMW shop in the country and asked if I could bring in the box if I removed it ( to save some money) but they said no the whole bike had to come in.....well150 quid later they said the output bearing housing was flogged and there was nothing they could do.....so we went around Ireland and then back to England to search for a box....pre internet times meant buying lots of magazines and ringing around. We rode from the North of England to Devon.....only to be told they had sold it..... then up to the Midlands to a small town with a BMW parts shop run from a high st shop....called Motobins.The owner had an R75/5 out the back that he was prepared to sell me the box from.....but we have no workshop.....
Did the box swap out on the road with the BMW tool kit.....cleaned up , had a pub lunch and rode to Dover and caught the ferry to France.....no probs for the next 4 months
Go on ride it...you'll be grand so.....

Voltaire screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 01:28 AM Reason: pics
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #1254
Padmei OP
enamoured

Nice story volty. sigh...I wish I still had hair

BTW whippersnipper is on trademe now. Took it in & found out a new one is only $200 & prob would cost about $100 to have them take apart & put together to try let alone buy parts.

Padmei screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 11:19 AM
Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #1255
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice story volty. sigh...I wish I still had hair

BTW whippersnipper is on trademe now. Took it in & found out a new one is only $200 & prob would cost about $100 to have them take apart & put together to try let alone buy parts.
Hair is a lot shorter these days and greyer......the R75/5 has been in boxes since 2001......
Old 11-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #1256
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
I enjoyed this build thread, especially what he did with the R1 shock.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656361

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #1257
Padmei OP
enamoured

I set the radio up onto "the sound" & let the classic rock bounce around the walls of the workshop this morning. Today I was going in way over my head it seemed - I was going to split open the gearbox & marvel in the magic held within.

A few nights of research behind me from the ukgsers site & the excellent write-up they have there by Rob farmer & Voyager as well as Anton & Joergs informative pages I decided to chance my arm. Warning over the top amount of photos on this one as i wanted to keep a good record of it.

I went to my local mech to use their flange remover tool however all that was needed was a 5 second shunt from the rattle gun & the flange was loose

I had my handy SCA welding table setup (can't recommend them enough for good solid adjustable working height) with laptop on the relevant pages & lots of newspaper to catch the stinking hypoid oil.

Drained the oil & had a looksie at the plug - bugger all swarf.

Output flange removed

All allen screws removed & heating up around the 3 bearings locations in the case.

It was weird how the alloy sweats when heat is applied to it then dries out again after more heat.

With a few careful upward whacks with my rubber hammer the case end came loose

This is what it looked like when the cover was removed. A bit overwhelming but after looking carefully for a few moments everything seemed to make sense.

This photo shows the 2 shims on the output & intermediate shafts

I carefully laid out the bits & pieces & turned my attention to the gear shifter cartridge. this is held on by 2 bolts on the clutch side of the box. The top one was a bit reluctant to be removed - I ended up carefully prising it out with a bit of tension under the washer.

With the bolts out the cartridge slips out with a wiggle.

Now it's interesting to note in the above photo the brass neutral switch screwed into the bottom of the box. When neutral is selected the lil ball bearing at the top of the switch is depressed by the lowest part of the camlobe attached to the gear selector. This closes the contact in the sitch turning the neutral lite on. On Berlina my neutral switch isn't activating which makes me think that it may have a different gear selector mechanism inside the box.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #1258
Padmei OP
enamoured

Actually correction- it my indeed sit in the recess of the gear selector cam - will check it out later.

Janice & Bobbie McGee guided me to the next step, where we supposedly heat the back of the case where the intermediate & output bearing sit & wiggle both shafts simultaneously until they drop out.

Unfortunately this is where I had to declare a ceasefire. I found the shafts would wiggle but only on the bearing as such. I got Mrs Padmei in to heat both bearing spots with a heat gun & gas torch while I wriggled the shafts but to no success

I have posted on Gsers fro any tips but may need to wait till Monday to get some proper advice & help.

So for now here is where it sits.

We can at least inspect what we have out.
The case looks ok. The scouring marks look bad but can't be felt

The input shaft.

I think the gears look alright on this compared to some pics by RF.

Here's the gear selector cartridge. The solder marks are from a previous repair by the looks of it. The 2 pieces can come adrift.

Here's the roller index wheel. The nylon ones are quieter but can wear out. This pic shows it in the neutral groove between 1st & 2nd.

The rear view of the pawl spring which can break & cause trouble - KLRistas will recognise that problem

So there we have it. A good mornings tinkering & not stressful at all. I will take the pieces to a few people to get their opinions on the condition of the components, price some bearings, cadge a shimming plate & go from there.

Padmei screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 05:51 PM
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #1259
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
So for now here is where it sits. We can at least inspect what we have out. The case looks ok. The scouring marks look bad but can't be felt.
Cool. Makes me feel more confident in terms of dealing to Gus's box.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #1260
Padmei OP
enamoured

Thinking about the gearbox rebuild the other day jogged my memory about why I sent it away the first time a couple of years ago to get looked over.
When the rear seal crapped itself during the DB dumping oil over most of the lower Sth Island I was worried that the bad vibration I felt was coming from the gearbox. The mech stripped it, gave it the OK, reshimmed it & shipped it back. (then of course the seal began leaking again). no work was actually done on it apart from the checkover, reshimming & sealing.

The vibration was much more likely coming from the driveshaft which had a rooted UJ (which i think was caused by 'jumping' off a section of bridge & landing with a crappy shock). The vibration & oil leak began just after that lil stunt

Anyway the gearbox has done about 8000kms since it was looked at & I reckon it has just reached that time in its' life for another rebuild.
Dunno why but for some reason it cheers me up knowing that nothing mechanical was replaced & has failed within those couple of years.

i'll get back to ya when more is going on. I may go & listen to the Doobies & have another looksie at my sidestand.