Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #1276
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,074
I think that one is broadly similar to the Boxer Supplies one. Someone has modified where the spring pivots from so that it doesn't auto retract, then fitted a lockout switch so they don't ride off with it down.
Never done that myself of course....

Nice coloured frame.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #1277
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,454
Cool looking but post up some pics of how it sits when retracted. As you would have seen with mine it is right in the action zone when changing gear. If the stand is bent out it would be sitting in a place to rip a bloody gash theu your leg if the bike was on the centre stand. That one looks like it would run past the footpeg a bit.

I would have liked to see that wire run inside the frame out of sight.

I reckon the old crash bars are a waste of time. Only took a few lite pushes to bend mine into the engine.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #1278
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Never done that myself of course....
never fallen off while doing it

here is the link to the rest of the bike.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #1279
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I reckon the old crash bars are a waste of time. Only took a few lite pushes to bend mine into the engine.
Yes, that's what it does and it will smash the fins. Mine are coming off, as soon as a friend of mine brings me the stand he's been talking about.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #1280
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
never fallen off while doing it

Ok so as bike modifiers that dude & I are at different ends of the spectrum. I have to admit that bike is so welll done that I even like the colour of the frame. Pah bet it doesn't even have loud tappets!!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #1281
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
And finally the mystic tail section makes sense! That's beautiful.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #1282
Padmei OP
enamoured

I'm wondering how to start off describing my weekend. I'm slouched in the window seat propped up by big soft cushions. The evening lite is golden & is shining thru the pine trees that shelter the town from our gaze. Some kind of flying bugs are swarming between the branches & are only noticed due to the shimmering way they are silhouetted by the setting sun.I turn away momentarily to the keyboard & when I look back they have disappeared. I notice now the sun is filtering thru a small spiders web just on the deck rail. I once read a great book called The curious incidence of the dog at midnight about an autistic boy who reasoned that you don't have to go away for a holiday, you just had to shift your perception. There's so much going on close to you that you aren't aware of till you look a bit closer.

This wasn't the reason behind me riding anywhere in particular this weekend however in retrospect the thinking can be quite appropriate.

With a full sun blazing early Saturday morning I rolled up the toolkit, dosed my face with sunscreen & began a ride to Golden bay. I hadn't seen a couple of very good friends for a while so a catch-up was planned. I thought a few pics would break up the ride & provide a bit of purpose to my trip.

The highway was calling

The coastal highway ducks inland bypassing Mapua & the surrounding 70kmh stretches of road. It returns at the estuary where travelling across a causeway has a few surprises.

I'd heard about the kiwi but never seen it due to being the one that has been doing the driving.

This lil spaceship & ET's phone booth has always been a favourite for the kids. It used to have a lil green alien inside at one stage.

Apple growing is one the major industries around this area & has been for many decades. Some technological advances haven't involved genetic modification but a bit of lateral thinking such as white fabric laid under the trees as the apples ripen to reflect lite to the bottom of the apple giving a consistent red colour round the apple. These apple trees are protected from hail by the red netting hung above. There was some discussion that the colour was also able to benefit the fruit however no research has supported that.
A group of whinging poms that moved into the area tried to take the orchardists to the environment court claiming the red was spoiling their views - myself i'd be more worried about the sprays.

The local version of the generic mailbox photo

Riding past Riwaka I was interested in seeing if the brewing hops would be growing at this time of year. It struck me then that it was 20 years ago almost exactly to the day when I first saw these vines strung up in their unique way. Twenty years ago I was travelling in a bright red VW combi with "Attack of the Killer tomatoes" painted across its stern. It was my first trip to the south island.

I recalled the feelings of anticipation & freedom I had had at that time. I was just back from my short OE & the South Island was still a mystery to me & from those I'd talked to overseas, a worthy place to explore.

Between Golden Bay sits the Takaka hill.

It is a motorcyclists mecca. The road surface has had some work done recently & most of the tighter corners on the Nelson side now have smooth cambered tarseal. One doesn't have to ride fast to feel like an IOM TT competitor. I managed to grind the pegs numerous times on Schmidt at a modest speed. Luckily for me the traffic was lite so no holdups by campervans ruined the ride over.

I stopped to take a quick pic of Riwaka & Motueka. Note the red apple shelters

Towards the top of the hill around the 60th or so swirly corner is the limeworks. I admired the way even when it was dirty it looked so clean.

I imagine whoever sits in this office would have the best view in the company

Atop the hill the area is known as Canaan & is characterised by the amazing amount of marble & rock outcrops. It is Karst country where the rainwater running off the limestone becomes acidic disolving rocks leaving great networks of caves & sinkholes.
There are several caves to visit here - Ngarua cave has guided tours whereas you can freestyle it down harwoods hole.

Of course there was a motorbike involved in this journey.

The road carries on along the top for a short while until it begins its' descent into the Upper Takaka valley. This loping hairpin bend is prob one of the popular stops for pics in the area.

Padmei screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 10:12 PM
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #1283
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
And?

Did you answer or did it go straight to voicemail?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #1284
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,074
Sometimes its best just to screen your calls...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #1285
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
And?

Did you answer or did it go straight to voicemail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Sometimes its best just to screen your calls...
Sorry a surf movie featuring dumb chicks with attitudes, bad script, terrible acting, bikinis, disjointed editing, hedonistic lifestyles and very nice waves & locations was on. How could I resist?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #1286
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Sorry a surf movie featuring dumb chicks with attitudes, bad script, terrible acting, bikinis, disjointed editing, hedonistic lifestyles and very nice waves & locations was on. How could I resist?

Debbie does Maui??
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #1287
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Debbie does Maui??
That brings back memories

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #1288
Padmei OP
enamoured

Heading thru Upper Takaka I turned off at East Takaka road towards Pohara beach. It was my first bit of gravel for the trip & I felt very vulnerable having the road move around underneath me after the consistent traction of the tarseal.

It is a nice place to cruise thru as there are a few lil kooky things to spot. This travellers rest is a nice touch.

A few more gravelly corners & the road opens up to semi rural suburbia.

My mind wanders often when out for a cruisy ride & as I rode past the old asphalt tennis courts, modest but well kept community/ church halls, weathered wide verandahs hanging off old bungalows I was catching a whiff of yesteryear. I'm sure that at the moment inside the old farmhouses I rode past are TVs spewing out the current dramas of the Kardashians etc however a part of me was hoping that there was a bit more of country calendar in these homes

I arrived at Pohara & rode around to Port Terakohe.

This is a spectacularly interesting location with the Holcim cement works & popular climbing walls dominating the landscape.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #1289
Padmei OP
enamoured

I'm a great fan of the open helmet these days. A more involved way of riding I find. Of course you do have to embrace the odd occurences of bees landing & crawling inside the helmet.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #1290
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
great photo essay Padders - some great riding in the top of the South - onya!
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote