Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #1291
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,111
Dad was a draftsman at Tarakohe. We left the Bay before it shut down.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #1292
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Dad was a draftsman at Tarakohe. We left the Bay before it shut down.
What shut down?
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #1293
Padmei OP
enamoured

I wound around the coast & dropped down into Lydia bay. Both sides of the road were packed nose to tail with vehicles. I have never seen so many 4wds in one place in my life. I figured it was either a fishing contest or community gala. As i rode past the beach I saw a rope cordoning off a patsh of land where hundreds were standing & slowly rode ast & parked beside the row of bikes. Must be a wedding I thought

I quietly dismounted & walked to the back of the crowd where I saw a sign reserving the beach for a funeral that day. I suddenly remembered about a local guy Mark Fowler that lost his life on the bottom of the Takaka hill earlier that week
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...d-in-collision

I respectfully returned to my bike, & quietly moved off. As I was leaving I heard the crowd laugh at a comment from one of the speakers & I felt although it was far too early in his life, he was getting a great sendoff with many friends & family.

The road wasn't too much further to Tata beach where I caught up with my good friends Lisa & Tony. They have been running Golden bay kayaks for a few years now & live the good life at the beach drinking coffee, renting out kayaks & SUPs when not caning the local MTB trails.

It can't be all bad working here & playing with lil 2yr old Kye.

After my 3rd coffee I noticed something weird happening to the sun. We put it down to the dust cloud from Tongariro erupting.

We had a humorous conversation with some friends of theirs that are moving from Golden Bay back to Nelson. The general understanding from outsiders is that golden Bay is fulled with hippies, nutters or twinkies however they are adamant it is only the ones that have actually moved into the area.

Well there were boats to pick up, gear to wash & I had nearly finishedoff all the marshmellow cake so I bid them farewell & saddled up again.

Rambling back over the Hill my thoughts returned to the motorcyclist Mark Fowler & the family & friends he had left behind. He certainly had touched many people with his short life & although I had never met him his passing had touched me slightly. I thought as I cruised into that saturday evening about my wife & young girls waiting at home for me. I rode the corners a bit more carefully, patiently waited for clear passing strips, enjoyed the smell of the hot tar & the feeling of the warm air across my face & embraced life.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #1294
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
What shut down?
Golden Bay, we were the last to leave and turned out the lights.

Or was it the Cement Works that shut down?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #1295
Padmei OP
enamoured

Sunday was another day. This time it was with my Nadmates. Nordieboy.

Woodman

We started up Cowgully gulch which was overgrown & had trees half cut but still laid across the track.

Nordie warned me it was totally overgrown but sometimes one has to find out the hard way.

Eventually we got out into the open.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #1296
Padmei OP
enamoured

Snotso my green DRZ was the appropriate mount for the day. I couldn't believe having such brilliant weather 2 days running & being able to make the most of them riding

This is the summit above Hori bay which has the infinity pool effect on the skidder site.

Hmm whats nordie doing???

Ahhh I see now

Along rocks Woodman. That KLR is a substantial bike but he rides it with the grace of Nureyev - even while sleeping

Hey Nordie which way is the Hill of Impossibility?

Follow you where?

So here I sit. It is nearly the following weekend & I have a sore rib & looking forward to perhaps just a light road ride this weekend.

Thank you for visiting & please pick up a chocolate fish on the way out.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #1297
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Thank you for visiting & please pick up a chocolate fish on the way out.
Still owe me two. Shall we just add to the tab & call it three now?

No wonder Woodman was loosing the back end. Nordie's conned him into a Shinko...

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 01:34 AM
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #1298
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
No wonder Woodman was loosing the back end. Nordie's conned him into a Shinko...
A bald Shinko no less. Padmei conned him into a stuffed rear shock that was shorter than his old stuffed rear shock too...

The combination was not optimal...

Although it was photogenic.......
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #1299
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,531
I got so inspired by the Impossible Hill, that I decided to check out a section in the neighbourhood. Stunning views, 20000m2 and pretty cheap. I didn't get to see the views, as I binned Basil halfway up. Bloody hell, now I now why it's so cheap.

My knee got a pretty good whack on one of the loose rocks and I had to spin Basil on the new valve cover to get him pointed down hill again.

I guess I should have walked up first, then I would have notice the bend and how loose this shit really was. Instead I gun it up in second but really needed to be in first. So when I did that, the rear came around. Oh well, chalk this up to experience.

Of course, I will have to have another go when the pain stops and I've walked up first.

Looks so innocent, then again, I didn't get to see this bit.

Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #1300
Padmei OP
enamoured

Ouch! Don't ya hate the old knee bash
You have got the newer type covers on aye? i wonder if the old ones would have fractured like they are reputed to do.
Were those numbers right for the section - 20 000m2? We've got a tenth of that & is too much for me to handle -hang on take ten off then divide by ten..no wait... aw anyway lets just say it is too much for one man & not enough for two.

You know how people talk about putting in a lower 1st gear (& higher 5th) when rebuilding the box, I reckon you'd need to have a lower 2nd too as the gap between them when off road is quite considerable I reckon especially when you've buit up a bit of speed in 1st.
I'm still thinking how to mate up a sprocket system to rear of the gearbox. A sprocket straight to the rear flange is easy enough however it's the transfer of power to the final 2 sprockets which is tricky. Something like right angle gears (is bevel the appropriate term?)at the pivot point with sprockets transfering power from the gearbox flange sprocket via short chain thru the (bevel) setup & out via normal type chain to the rear sprocket.

Best we don't leave Basil & Schmidt alone together overnite at the Dusty - we'll come out & they would have scarpered from their abusive owners
Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #1301
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
Best we don't leave Basil & Schmidt alone together overnite at the Dusty - we'll come out & they would have scarpered from their abusive owners
Wondered where you were heading with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I got so inspired by the Impossible Hill, that I decided to check out a section in the neighbourhood. I didn't get to see the views, as I binned Basil halfway up. Bloody hell, now I now why it's so cheap.
My knee got a pretty good whack on one of the loose rocks and I had to spin Basil on the new valve cover to get him pointed down hill again.
Lose it in grass, gravel or sand?

I thought you'd just finished building. Just an excuse for a look at the neighbours place? Or thinking of starting again?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #1302
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Ouch! Don't ya hate the old knee bash
You have got the newer type covers on aye? i wonder if the old ones would have fractured like they are reputed to do.
Were those numbers right for the section - 20 000m2? We've got a tenth of that & is too much for me to handle -hang on take ten off then divide by ten..no wait... aw anyway lets just say it is too much for one man & not enough for two.

You know how people talk about putting in a lower 1st gear (& higher 5th) when rebuilding the box, I reckon you'd need to have a lower 2nd too as the gap between them when off road is quite considerable I reckon especially when you've buit up a bit of speed in 1st.
I'm still thinking how to mate up a sprocket system to rear of the gearbox. A sprocket straight to the rear flange is easy enough however it's the transfer of power to the final 2 sprockets which is tricky. Something like right angle gears (is bevel the appropriate term?)at the pivot point with sprockets transfering power from the gearbox flange sprocket via short chain thru the (bevel) setup & out via normal type chain to the rear sprocket.

I am not sure that I can blame the gearing. You've got to work with what you've got. I had a stressful week and didn't think straight. Left the seal doing about 50 in second, bounced up as far as I could go and when I had to slow down for the bend and screwed up the down shift. I should have just put-putted up in first and all would have been good. Next time.

I had managed to step off the bike all right, but the tripped on the loose ground and went for a backwards tumble, pretty much like woodman in your vid. The knee is actually fine, the rock just hit were the fibula attached to the tibia. It's not nearly as bad as your ribs. I'll limp a little but I'll live.

However, I might go an look for some decent knee guards for the DB1K and maybe an armour jacket as well. With my riding skills, it's likely to be a good investment.

I've just fitted a new peanut cover from Siebenrock. Had to sand it flat, because it wasn't and leaked. Now it matches the rest of the bike, slightly worn.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #1303
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post

Lose it in grass, gravel or sand?

I thought you'd just finished building. Just an excuse for a look at the neighbours place? Or thinking of starting again?
It was a loose patch with larger rocks. The reason I went up there was because I had been cycling past the drive a few times. When I saw the for sale sign, it gave me an excuse to check it out. I did want to see what it was like, but the main reason was to have a go at the steep drive.

Having said that, I would also consider building again. But not on a section with such a steep drive. By the way, the picture must have been older, because the drive looks nothing like it at the moment. Getting a concrete truck up there is probably impossible.

Link
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #1304
Padmei OP
enamoured

That's a great building platform. Along the road from us above Bayview Rd there is a site up on top of the ridge. They buldozed the road up to it & towed up an old house & a railway carriage. Amazing views but in the clouds a few times while we are in the sunshine.

Both Mrs padmei are in agreement that if we built it would be a bach in a box type thing with very little shape & cost - only the bare necessities- like a lathe & plasma cutter...
Old 12-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #1305
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
Both Mrs padmei are in agreement...
You have two???

How's the knee this morning Alex?