Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #1321
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Order the bearings so hopefully they will be in early next week.
Anyone in the engineering game know if the shims used are a common item? I wouldn't know what depth to use untill I put the shimming plate on & measure it. that would [prob be over xmas.
I don't think so, you would probably need a selection.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #1322
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,517
I think the problem is that we don't have any sort of racing for the larger dual sport bikes. We need something along the line of a GS Challenge, maybe not just for BMW bikes, but definitely excluding singles below 650cc.

Something that includes a time trial, an obstacle course and maybe a navigational challenge. All this in a fairly localised area. So it's easy to set up an HQ and have people hang around all day.

Something that's challenging for the average adventure rider, but not designed for people like Chris Birch.

A place like Riverhead or Woodhill could provide all this within a small area. If you only need to deal with one land owner and you stay off public roads, it should be a lot easier to organise, I hope.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #1323
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 525
Kokopelli, during the week I heard that the Waitemata mc club may be arranging a course exactly as you say in the Riverhead forest. It was the idea of the inimitable Veg (aka Pete McPhee from Kiwi Rider Mag).

As I remember it, these are the basic details of the proposal - A loop of 1 - 2km around a central location so riders are never more than a short distance from home base. Some fairly easy sections and some tough - but by-passable sections so people with bigger bikes and those with less experience can gain an introduction to riding, choose how challenging the ride is, but if the bike breaks or they've had enough, it's easy to bail out and get back to home base relatively quickly.

I.e. not like taking off on a 25km loop and being a long way from help if something goes wrong or they get stuck.

I thought it was an excellent idea
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #1324
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Well that's pretty good news. I really think that a lot of people will be a starter for that. As always, I am happy to test out the course as the average rider, or almost average rider, depends who's looking
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #1325
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Would a heavy bike like a BMW be up to Woodhill.....just saying as I used to take my KDX 200 up there a bit?
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #1326
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 525
Woodhill is mostly sand and pretty easy. Riverhead consists of the devil's brew mud, where just a hint of rain makes for a sticky, gluggy cesspit of brown muck that you will spend hours bogged in up to your axles. It will destroy your self esteem and turn you into a filthy gibbering wreck.

Please don't ask me how I know this.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #1327
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Yes, it goes OK, but of course there are limitations. With my bike it's mainly the rider.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #1328
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,360
Mt Patriarch

.chris was down for 6 weeks on his way to Fairlie for Christmas. Underground, pete & myself joined him for a trip into the depths of the Mt Richmond Forest Park in Marlborough.

I was a bit unsure whether I'd make this ride as a cyclone was due to dump a load of rain on the Friday & Sat however when I awoke this morning the air was warm & the sky dull but things looked reasonably stable weatherwise.
Saddling up & setting off later then I should I thought I may miss the boys at the rendezvous at the junction of North Bank Rd which is surprisingly on the Western side of the Wairau river. And miss them I did as I rode over the bridge & started down the wrong road. pete soon caught me as I stopped & ld me back the right way.

Introductions completed starter buttons were pressed & pete took the lead on his XR250 with Underground following on his new Dommie & chris' KTM690 stuck in the middle. My word those 690s create a very distinctive horny exhaust note.

The North bank road is surprisingly long & is bordered by either vineyards or sheep pastures. The mist on the hills hid our destination & the dust rose steadily & thick as we roared along following petes machine. After what seemed like a short time we stopped a a vantage point high above Lake Chalice. The fog lifted & the view was spectacular.

The road had been graded recently & although the gravel was sketchy at times around the tight corners it was a pleasureable cruise.

Here is .chris fully loaded with the summit of Mt Patriarch behind him.

.chris had to meet up with some other Chch travellers coming from the West Coast so time was tight. The shifting fog also foiled much photo opps.
The graded road turned to a 4wd access track with a grass centre strip between two ruts covered with loose shale rocks. Traction was good tho & the flat rocks were catapaulted out from under the spinning rear tyres.

As we swung our bikes around at the road end I commented to the guys I felt like a bit of a cheat to be standing so high above the valleys & yet not feeling tired from any physical exertion.

Padmei screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 12:04 AM
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #1329
Padmei OP
enamoured

Here's our boys Underground (left) & pete

.chris taking a pic of the surroundings. The summit of mt Pat is actually on the far right of the pic. There is a walking track along to there. Next time I come here I am going to walk across to take some more pics.

You're prob aware if you've read this thread from the beginning (you poor sods) I have a dream of riding Morocco. This pic kinda has that feel.

.chris allowed us 8mins of yakking about tyres, rims & we stole a few more minutes discussing the Dusty butt before rattling our dags back again.

Underground had to go & finish his concrete kitchen bench (we all feigned back problems when he started talking about needing many hands to lift it in place)

.chris had other people to meet

Pete had housework & I had a swim booked at the school pool with the lil ponies.

We all headed off our own ways with a nice summer ride tucked away in our memories.
Thank you gents for the company. Adv riding is a pleasant past time.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #1330
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
Good to see you out & about. ... Dammit...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #1331
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

That white bike is all class.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #1332
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Hey, what about the red ones?
Nice writeup Craig, we all look like riding gods up there far above the madness of xmas mayhem.
Dommie by sea http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843646
Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #1333
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,082
Heading up to the same lookout over Lake Chalice...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Us_UBS4#t=792s
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #1334
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Just wait till I paint the frame blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground View Post
we all look like riding gods up there far above the madness of xmas mayhem.
Look? Look??? We WERE riding gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Heading up to the same lookout over Lake Chalice...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Us_UBS4#t=792s
Ahhh that would have been last Summer
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #1335
Padmei OP
enamoured

You know, after a 2 hr gruelling uphill climb on my mountainbike in this heat, I think if I was given the choice I would rather be a liquid cooled engine than an airhead.

Started work on a new seat. I'm using the old KLR seat that was knocking about as the base & have to add some to the end to meet up with the carrier rail.