Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
Laursdahl OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
My KTM is sick :(

Hello..

My baby is really sick (KTM 690 Enduro R).. Went out with the boys today to have some fun.. But after two hours is starts to get sick.. It stalls while driving and got a FI CODE 4 long and 1 short = Fault/short-circuit in fuel pumpcontrol circuit.

I was about 40 km from home DAMNIT!!! But when i rode it slow there was no problems.. I went on the freeway and kept a speed at 90 km/h but after 10 km's then the speedo goes haywire.. Shows im driving 325-250-120-200 and so on.. Im wondering what the hell was happening and suddenly the Battery light comes on... And then the entire speedo just turns off like if i switch the key.. It starts op again just to show a FI code i didnt get to read and the engine stalls.. and speedo is dark again. I pulled over on the shoulder and the bike is completely DEAD.. Speedo doesnt come on when i turn the key and says no sounds.. I took the seat off and looked at it.. Nothing to see.. waited 5 mins. turned it on and now no problems.. Everything seemes to work i drove the rest of the way home very slow ..

I recently fittet the EVO 2 kit on the bike and theres has never been anything with it.. I got it mapped at a professional and everything seemes fine untill this happens..

Any suggestions?

Thank you..
Laursdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laursdahl View Post
Hello..

My baby is really sick (KTM 690 Enduro R).. Went out with the boys today to have some fun.. But after two hours is starts to get sick.. It stalls while driving and got a FI CODE 4 long and 1 short = Fault/short-circuit in fuel pumpcontrol circuit.

I was about 40 km from home DAMNIT!!! But when i rode it slow there was no problems.. I went on the freeway and kept a speed at 90 km/h but after 10 km's then the speedo goes haywire.. Shows im driving 325-250-120-200 and so on.. Im wondering what the hell was happening and suddenly the Battery light comes on... And then the entire speedo just turns off like if i switch the key.. It starts op again just to show a FI code i didnt get to read and the engine stalls.. and speedo is dark again. I pulled over on the shoulder and the bike is completely DEAD.. Speedo doesnt come on when i turn the key and says no sounds.. I took the seat off and looked at it.. Nothing to see.. waited 5 mins. turned it on and now no problems.. Everything seemes to work i drove the rest of the way home very slow ..

I recently fittet the EVO 2 kit on the bike and theres has never been anything with it.. I got it mapped at a professional and everything seemes fine untill this happens..

Any suggestions?

Thank you..
CHECK all the electrical connections, grounds, broken wires, etc. If it was a fuel pump, then it would simply die or not start, none of the reported electrical issues would surface.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
12Bong13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Check the Wunderfest thread. You Will find help There for sure.
12Bong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Laursdahl OP
Adventurer

Hey i will look at it..

The Bike only stalls after giving it WOT! not when driving aroung cruising
Old 09-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laursdahl View Post
Hello..

Any suggestions?

Thank you..
Similar issues happen to the older 640 and the keyswitch is usually the fault.. The 690 may have a similar keyswitch as KTM seems to use the same one on all their bikes so it would be worth checking, especially if you had to relocate it to install the fairing kit... Here is a good thread on what to look for: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113536 and another: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169958

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 09-20-2014 at 09:50 AM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
pre 14 bike?
They have two maps, one for fueling and one for throttle, if only one was changed it will act strange.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Laursdahl OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
pre 14 bike?
They have two maps, one for fueling and one for throttle, if only one was changed it will act strange.

Yes PRE 14 ... Its 300 km ago it was mapped and have been driving with no problems what so ever..
Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,902
Sounds like wiring, suggest you check all the connections under the battery tray, there are screwed terminals onto the fuse block as well as other connections in that area to relays etc. Also check the regulator / rectifier to make sure it is delivering a consistent voltage to the battery. Then check any chafing wires that you may have accidently rerouted during your build, normally takes a few hundred kms to rub through.
Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
Laursdahl OP
Adventurer

Okay thanks for input..

Im working on the bike now.. Wqasnt in the mood yesterday after it failed me..

1. Check all wires..
2. Clean the tank and change fuel filter maybe the fuel pump for peace in mind.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:34 AM   #10
Laursdahl OP
Adventurer

Here is the fuel lines.. Could that bend cause any trouble?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,563
I would think so.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Laursdahl OP
Adventurer

It turns out its NOT whats wrong.. Ill post a Video of it as soon as i get it uploaded..
Old 09-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
Laursdahl OP
Adventurer

What is this? And what does it do?

Old 09-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
Laursdahl OP
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYP_Uqt6uno

It did that for about and hour and then it was replaced by this when i turn the ignition on : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJJz-3oT3_E
Old 09-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,902
I think it is the start auxiliary relay K4 on the wiring diagram - should have 4 wires
  • green
  • blue/red
  • black/red
  • black/red
All three relays in that block are the same P/N so if the orientation of the wiring manual is correct you should be able to swap it with the opposite side one which is K2 for the lights - should also have 4 wires
  • Green
  • brown
  • red
  • red
Middle one is the power relay difficult to tell which is left and right from the wiring manual so go by the wire colours.

Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote