Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
cbig OP
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 923
Somebody please school me on LC4 enduros..

I came across a lc4 for sale. Was originally looking at a xr650r, xt600 or xl600 for a little more street duty and back up work commuter when I saw the lc4. I have a xr280 and a xr600, the 600 is more or less the dual sport, tho I don't like fwy with it, and was hoping the lc4 had a bit more in it for the road.

I've read thru the lc4 page. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined. I understand the main bearing needs replacing asap. The cam bearings after 20k, and water pump unknown..but the bike if looked after will be decently reliable. Maybe a better performance , handling than my xr600. Also understand the bike is vibby. Not sure what that means and if it will bug me. I've had a te610, ride a buell daily, and had a te510. (That bike got to me after 40 minutes or so on the street. Dirt was fine)

Am I missing something? Worth doing or does the xr600 do it all, no real improvement on street?

I had a ktm 950 for a few years some time back. My only ktm experience. No single cyl.

Biggest concerns are reliable and streetable.

Thanks
cbig
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
I came across a lc4 for sale. Was originally looking at a xr650r, xt600 or xl600 for a little more street duty and back up work commuter when I saw the lc4. I have a xr280 and a xr600, the 600 is more or less the dual sport, tho I don't like fwy with it, and was hoping the lc4 had a bit more in it for the road.

I've read thru the lc4 page. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined. I understand the main bearing needs replacing asap. The cam bearings after 20k, and water pump unknown..but the bike if looked after will be decently reliable. Maybe a better performance , handling than my xr600. Also understand the bike is vibby. Not sure what that means and if it will bug me. I've had a te610, ride a buell daily, and had a te510. (That bike got to me after 40 minutes or so on the street. Dirt was fine)

Am I missing something? Worth doing or does the xr600 do it all, no real improvement on street?

I had a ktm 950 for a few years some time back. My only ktm experience. No single cyl.

Biggest concerns are reliable and streetable.

Thanks
cbig
I have a friend who has a 640 Adventure with the LC4 motor. It's a nice ride. I believe the LC4 doesn't have a balance shaft, or it doesn't work very well. Regardless, they run down the road just fine. I spend a day riding my 2005 950 Adventure across the state with this friend following, and he had no problems on-road or off-road. Changing oil in that thing is bizarre.

The old LC4 640s are known as paint shakers. The more modern 690R motor is way better with much better balancing. As compared to my 950, I'm really enjoying the drop in weight with the 690, and the bike has plenty of power. Actually, gobs of power. A really fun ride.

Hope some of that helps.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 646
I'm watching closely, as I have a hankering for something lighter than the 1190R, but highway friendly.

And because everyone apparently needs more than one bike. I was warned about this bike-accumulation syndrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NewToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,723
To me, the absolute only downside to a 640E is the vibration. Which doesn't bother me but it does other people. Otherwise the suspension is very good (love those 50mm Extremes and linkage rear). The brakes are flat out awesome compared to any Japanese dual sport I have ridden. Plus the engine isn't "retuned for midrange". The engine thrives on abuse and responds well to rejetting and a pipe.

Getting the weight down to just over 300 pounds doesn't take magic. Ditch the steel passenger pegs and the cast iron stock Supertrapp and you are pretty much there. That includes all the needed dual sport goodies such as a radiator fan, strong subframe, rack, powerful stator and center stand making it true dual sport. I have treated mine like a dirt bike for several years and nothing ever breaks. Ever.

When I bought my 525 I just couldn't bring myself to sell the 640. It is the best dual sport I have owned in 35 years of never owning anything but dual sports. I owned an XL600R and even with after market suspension there is simply no comparison. Same goes for the XT600 which I also am very familiar with. I can't own an XR650R because my ankle doc insists on the button. So no experience there.

But score a ride before buying to make sure you aren't sensitive to the vibes. The inmate I bought it from didn't like the vibration. But, oddly enough, he is back on a 640A. The only viable replacement I see out there today is a 690 enduro. I don't see myself going back Japanese until they match KTM power, suspension, weight and brakes. Which probably means not in what remains of my lifetime.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 12-19-2014 at 08:36 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
cbig OP

thanks,

The 690 isn't in my horizon. I'm old school, do my own work, and prefer carb, easier to fix, especially if away. I should have explained I'm a pretty experienced rider, and not too bad at mechanicals. My xr600 goes everywhere. Hill climbs, rocks, long, long trips. Only complaints are heat on long sand rides, and longer road trips above 60-70 mph. Other possibility is spreading the transmission out with some nx650 gears. Seems the lc4 is perfect for the job, fan, cush hub.

We do a lot of riding, 5-7k a year hard off road. Most are xr people, a couple of 450exc's. I like a heavier bike for the comfort on long distance.

Anything to be gained from the purchase or am I there? Electric start would be nice.

cbig screwed with this post 12-19-2014 at 09:33 AM
cbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Mine has stood up well to hard offroad use. It is a little long with limited steering lock (for the 18L tank). If you plan crazy tight switchback goat trails it isn't going to work well. Otherwise it basically just an XL sized dirt bike that can handle hard use.

As for comfort, KTM seats suck for the most part. But mine is easily all day comfortable with a Renazco seat. Some people who stand all the time like bar risers. But I mostly sit these days with my battered joints. So I find the stock ergonomics just right.

I find the bike crazy comfortable. The long travel plush suspension is why I bought the thing in the first place. I have done many all day rides and have never suffered. But, again, it depends on your tolerance for vibration plus replacing the stock seat.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,272
I had a 640Adv for a few years and many times wished I had the Enduro for the lighter weight. I agree it is quite reliable although probably not in the same league as the Honda. My biggest issue was the continuous maintenance/fiddling and the time/expense of it. Change oil, adjust valves, replace various seals, water pump wears out, wires break, speedometer fails, etc., etc. And this isn't cheap. Just the parts for an oil change are like $35 (full synthetic required).

After I put a $400 seat on, the vibration was bad only on long highway stretches (over 100 miles). On the dirt I never noticed it except at the end of the day. The transmission is NOT very wide ratio. With stock back sprocket, a 15 tooth front is good for real dirt, a 16 tooth for dualsport, and a 17 tooth smooths things out for the highways.

Once I had the suspension tuned, the 640 was an absolute wonder on more open dirt. It was designed for going fast on dirt, and it does it very well. Not so good on tight trails - it is too long and can't turn sharp.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE

dhally screwed with this post 12-19-2014 at 11:14 AM
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,246
I had an '02 for 3-4 years. Also had an '02 Adv. at the same time. Really liked them both and agree w/ the comments you have gotten so far. I used a 17T front sprocket on both (dualsoprt use). That meat you had to slip the clutch allot when going slowly, but made for a relaxed 60-70mph. Both bikes liked faster riding, doing 1st and 2ond gear stuff - you feel the size and weight of them (even the E is well over 300#, full of gas the Adv is closer to 400#). Faster than that - stand up, steer w/ the rear wheel/throttle and fly. They esp. suit taller/bigger riders.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oh, they can turn sharply, it just requires steering with your right wrist.

Which is why my back tires never see 1000 miles.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Which is why my back tires never see 1000 miles.
Hey, mine's got the same problem.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,246
Hey BB - I assume you are talking about my old bike. How's the old girl doing?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Hi

I have owned the 640 adventure and the 625sxc (a 640 enduro just last 2 years was called a 625 sxc).

The enduro is lighter and handles better, it is also way easier to work on than advwnture.

Bike has great power and can run all day down a freeway BUT it vibrates, after a long road section a couple of the screws in my Sidi boots were missing !

Sold the bike got a 530exc. ....WAY better bike, Lighter, handles way better, better mpg, runs just fine on a freeway, and LIMITTED VIBRATIONS

The weight and vibration killed the bike for me.....look at 500 seris exc way better dual sports

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
Rogue_Ryder
速 Flat Biller 速

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
...score a ride before buying to make sure you aren't sensitive to the vibes... The only viable replacement I see out there today is a 690 enduro...
+1

The vibes don't bother some people, but others like myself can't stand it. The power is there for sure with the LC4 but I don't see the XR600 as a dog in comparison but the KTM WP suspension is better for sure.

If the 640 LC4 didn't have the vibes it'd be the ultimate 600cc class thumper.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,556
I would have bought a 640 Adventure years ago if it wasn't for the vibes, puts my arms to sleep in less than 10 miles.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
cbig OP

Not so

Convinced about suspension, I put xr400 forks on my xr600. Revalved, works good all around, but the street runs out of power unless I regear, then the rocks suffer. Also the e start could be nice tho.

Any glaring mechanical issues?

cbig screwed with this post 12-19-2014 at 01:46 PM
cbig is offline   Reply With Quote