User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 03:41 AM   #31
blaster11 OP
Living the dream!

Oddometer: 6,292
Day 10--Gander to Gros Morne, NFLD

Yesterday, ended up to change course a bit. Intended to go east for 2 hrs to Burgoyne Cove for the B-36 plane crash. While the weather was fine in Gander and for the first half of the leg to the Cove, then we ran into some horrible rain.

We thought the better of it to continue, as we didn't intend to complete the final leg of the journey to the cove (30 min hike up a steep hill) with our ride gear on; yet we were concerned we couldn't keep the kit dry on the correct sides either if we left it by the bikes. We still needed to complete the 300+KM to Gros Morne at 100KPH, so wet ride gear would have been miserable.

We elected to turn around and head over to Gros Morne. On the way there, we saw police with his patrol lights on.

Turns out someone must have hit a moose, and his truck had it winched off the road.

For those, who haven't seen it most the big trucks have "moose catchers" on the front:

Later down the road, saw two more Moose in the same area we did yesterday. We figured they were tethered there by the Tourism Bureau!

Ended up in Gros Morne very early afternoon, which worked in our favor. Still not having reservations anywhere, we were able to score a very nice cabin near the Lomond River.

And a few bonus pictures..

Oh, and I ran her over the center line to get this picture @ about 115Kph.

And a little Toad on our little nature walk to the river.

Today we are probably doodling around the park, maybe a boat ride. Tomorrow, up to the viking settlement (L'Anse aux Meadows). Then a run for the ferry, as we leave the rock on Friday.

blaster11 screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 03:53 AM
blaster11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:39 AM   #32
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Awesome RR... Great job SMIBs
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #33
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11
Then a run for the ferry, as we leave the rock on Friday.
Seems like your trip is flying by--I had imagined you being in Newfoundland for weeks. Glad it is all running smoothly...

Eric
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #34
blaster11 OP
Living the dream!

Day 11--Gros Morne

Well to quote RFlagg42 from his trip a few weeks back:

Quote:
Are you an ADV rider, or are you a hiker?
I now have my answer--->ADV Rider

So, today was suppose to be a nice leisurely day off. However, Dana had better plans. We would screwing around Gros Morne until we found something that piqued our interest.

After seeing Norris point, Rocky Harbour and the lighthouse at Lobster Cove, she had her "great" plan.

Norris Point:

Lobster Cove:

Flowering berry bush (about the size of cherry tomatoes):

Unfortunately for me, the thing that piqued her interest was the Western Brook Pond Boat tour. This involved a 2.7KM hike each way to the boat base. Did I mention that my hiking kit consisted of SIDI boots and my Aerostich pants? BTW, if anyone has the SIDI boots and can tell me how to stop the incessant squeaking I'd love to know. The NLFD joke is boots that sqeek haven't been paid off yet!

Now, mind you it was currently 12:05, and the boat leaves at 1300...oh, and we don't have tickets. So we bust chops to get down there, only (drum roll please) to be wait listed. The next boat is 3 hours later. Anyhow, as "luck" would have it were were $105CDN lighter, but on a boat by 1300.

The boat ride takes about 2 hrs, and is quite refreshing. The pond was carved by a Glacier which melted 9,000 years ago. At that time, the the area was technically a Fjord (e.g. filled with seawater).

It is now fresh water, and landlocked (e.g no longer a Fjord). There are no roads that lead to the lake since Gros Morne is an UNESCO park. Of the two boats on the lake, one was skidded across the bog in the dead of winter. The other boat was too large and was sectioned into 4 pieces to be helo'd in then re-assembled.

The pond is about is about 500 ft deep and is very clear. In fact, is so clear that when the park put in a water holding tank at the visitors center is kept overflowing. Apparently, the mechanism that shuts off the water relies on particulate (e.g. conductivity) to close the circuit.

I wouldn't change a thing about the weather, it was literally "picture perfect".

Lastly, I have about 1-2 days slack and I'd like to swing through Prince Edward Island on the way home. Anybody have advice on things worth seeing/doing?

Up at daybreak to see some vikings!

PS Thanks to my lurkers for the 5-star rating on the post!

blaster11 screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 04:04 PM
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #35
blaster11 OP
Living the dream!

Day 12--L'Anse aux Meadows, NFLD

Well, if today didn't have 30-50KM headwinds, I have to say the trip up the coast line may have been very dull. Instead, the bike spent most of the ride at a 20 degree incline, praying my head didn't get ripped off.

I have a nickname of "Birdman", as it appears that no matter what rider I am in the pack, a bird nearly collides with me. Today, the little critter ended up not so lucky, but apparently the GS is no worse for the wear. Notice the blood smudge to the left of the "B"..

Saw this Bull Moose on the way home. Considering all the other Moose barley have button velvet in yet, this boy was B.I.G.

If I had to do a caged vehicle to NFLD, I think that this one would be my choice:

L'Anse aux Meadows was nice, although it was a bit pricey. The Vikings landed there in 1000, but the site was not documented until 1970s.

At that time, the person simply asked the locals if they knew of any sod ruins. I guess it looks better than my current home will look in 1000 years..

Buildings were made of the sod/tundra and were 12-16" thick. I can only imagine how warm they must have been for the period.

The replicate village was alive with folk persons in traditional garb, and doing traditional arts such as:

boat making:

The joists are actually tree roots

Forging:

Weaving:

I will end this thread on somewhat a quizzical note. Does anyone else find the lower written description and the leftmost graphic image...well, perhaps...It might just make the scariest signs I've even seen!

Tomorrow, last day on the rock. Oh, and 90KMH gusts tomorrow!

PS Still looking for input for stuff to-do on PEI.

blaster11 screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 05:19 PM
Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #36
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,941
drop in on ridetherock.com to meet the local "adventure" riding community
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #37
blaster11 OP
Living the dream!

Day 13--Port Au Basque

It's raining, it's pouring and it's windy! One thing for sure, headwinds always traveling south along the western coast.

Estimated winds though Wreckhouse were 110KPH. Lucky (?) for us, that is 90KPH lower than the highest ever recorded. Anyhow, we were going to romp past Port Au Basque, but given the weather, we've bunkered down.

Tomorrow ferry back Nova Scotia.

I'll upload the few pictures I have soon (couldn't take the hands of the bars too much, lest I end up rubber side up in the cross wind)
Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #38
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11
It's raining, it's pouring and it's windy! One thing for sure, headwinds always traveling south along the western coast.

Estimated winds though Wreckhouse were 110KPH. Lucky (?) for us, that is 90KPH lower than the highest ever recorded. Anyhow, we were going to romp past Port Au Basque, but given the weather, we've bunkered down.

Tomorrow ferry back Nova Scotia.

I'll upload the few pictures I have soon (couldn't take the hands of the bars too much, lest I end up rubber side up in the cross wind)
The pictures from your boat ride at the National Park were nice. I'll try and make it there next time I am in Newfoundland.

So, do you feel like you had enough time there to do what you wanted to do?

Eric

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. - Unknown
"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #39
blaster11 OP
Living the dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42
The pictures from your boat ride at the National Park were nice. I'll try and make it there next time I am in Newfoundland.

So, do you feel like you had enough time there to do what you wanted to do?

Eric
Definitely not enough time here, the time I spent has really been used to figure out what I want to do next time. I need to see an iceberg, the B-36 plane crash, more moose, and ride some of the ATV trails (need different tires).
Old 08-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #40
blaster11 OP
Living the dream!

Other notes

Here are some other notes from my trip so far. I have found the information booth's to be very useful and I will use them far more next time around. They pretty much have information on everything...hotels, camping, eating, sightseeing, etc. 90%+ of the roads are very good and improving every day. Keep your eyes open for moose and don't ride at night.

The temperature swings can be pretty wide so bring an assortment of clothes, we have seen from 50 degrees to 78 degrees. Keep an eye on the weather report...every day because it may drive your schedule, I used http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warni...969cwhx-022200 and got good information. Bring rain gear or weatherproof riding gear...my electric jacket liner has been a life saver and I wouldn't come back at this time of year without it. Heated grips/electric gloves/ or warm gloves a definite bonus. Long sections of road with high winds and high speeds need tunes or earplugs .

Ensure your cell phone will work in not only Canada but Newfoundland as well...found out that my phone would not work in Newfoundland but does in mainland Canada. If you don't plan ahead for hotels or some campgrounds try to be off the road NLT 4:00 so you have a chance to get accommodations. Not all ATM's are created equal, meaning they may not accept your banking card because it is on a different system. My VISA has worked great but it is good to have cash as well for tolls and other small expenses.
Plan ahead for all ferry crossings because it may be easy to get accommodations one way but not the other. Also the next time around I will probably opt for night crossings, with a cabin, and use my days for riding. If you get motion sickness bring drugs! Ferry decks can be extremely slick, be careful!

Just some of my thoughts so far, I am sure I will have more later.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #41
blaster11 OP
Living the dream!

Day 16--Bar Harbor, ME

Had a very enjoyable day today. Spend the morning sucking up the crisp New England air and just plain enjoying Acadia Park. The park charges $20/car for a week pass, but bikes are only $5! I think we drove about 90% of the park. Photos of Cadillac Mountain Summit,

Thunder Hole,

Rockefeller's Carriage House

For those that don't know Rockefeller was an avid horseman, and created some 50+ miles of carriage trails within the park. He spared no expense on installation which included an 8" crowning, and sub-base, base and top level substrates. He also constructed elaborate bridges and water diverters to ensure go going during the harsh Maine seasons.

I guess it's not an adventure until something notable happens. We'll the off ramp to the Thunder hole lot is a bit off-camber. A car stopped about 50 ft into the lot, and Dorito is a wee-bit height challenged (did i mention the low chassis/low seat?). Meanwhile, Dorito thought it would be best to take a nap while waiting. While the better part of me wanted to get the camera, I wasn't sure the non-ADVers on-lookers would think highly of our "humor".

Some minor scuffs, mostly her ego..hell she's fallen much worse off the horse. As a bonus, I got to use my tool kit to fix the blinker which had popped off the stem.

We had initially thought about staying in the Park at the Blackwoods campground. To do so, you need to book 96-hrs in advance. Around 50% of the sites can be reserved this way. You could also do walk in, but it appeared most weekends were sold out.

We did drive though and initial impressions were: 1) The sites do not have water/electric. 2) There are toilets, but pay showers 3) There is a bus that goes between campgrounds, and all the places you'd actually want to visit 4) the campgrounds are no-where near all the cool park stuff.

There are also quite a few private campgrounds on RT 3 between Ellsworth and Acadia. Some of which are on the water and would probably be a nicer stay.

The afternoon we spend in Bar Harbor proper perusing main street (RT 3). For those that have never been it's worth a few hours as the street. I could sum it up as follows: bar/restaurant, cheap tee shirt shop/tourist gedunk, nice outdoor outfitter (e.g North Face, Padonia, etc), tour guides, repeat. There is a neat place which does wood carving on far end 4+ blocks from the harbor. However, there were some damn funny tee-shirts to be read!

Thinking about re-visiting Cadillac Mountain at 0552 for sunrise, as it the first place rays hit the east coast. The over to Mt. Washington. We've decided to take some back roads, by-ways as we meander home in the next few days.

blaster11 screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 05:44 PM
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #42
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,082
What a small world it is

My buddy and i pulled in to the park where you go in to the Fiords and saw your bikes in the parking lot, but since we didn't have reservations, we just stayed a short time, and continued on down the road.

And we camped with those folks one night near manic 5. They were from Toronto i believe. Really nice folks. (unfortunately, i am horrible at remembering names). He eventually wants to convert that rig into electric powered.

If I had to do a caged vehicle to NFLD, I think that this one would be my choice:

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #43
blaster11 OP
Living the dream!

Day 17-Bar Harbor, ME to White Moutain, NH

We'll not too spectacular in mileage today, but still able to crank out a few hundred miles without every touching a four-lane road!

While we were up at 0500 intending to get to Cadillac Summit for sunrise, the interest in re-packing the kit for the zillionth time this trip was less than appealing. So promptly 2 hrs and 22 mins later, we departed the hotel. But hey, this is my vacation, and there is no penalty for lolly-gagging.

We had a rather low traffic trip plotted for MT Washington taking the northern approach. Since it was "only" three turns, we didn't need the stinkin' GPS. Anyhow, turned on the GPS after over-shooting the way point. However, looking at the SPOT track, you'd never know we FUBARed.

We did go over this lovely bridge about 1 hour into the journey. There is a very nice Fort about 2 mins south of bridge, but it didn't open for 45 mins later and we already felt "pressed" for time (see previous paragraph:)

Drove through the town of Conway/North Conway. They are very family oriented with the the feel of upscale ski resort town complete with StoryWorld and multiple mini golf places.

Anyhow, today's theme was RxR trains.

There was this scenic/dinner train in the town of N. Conway:

And this one at the summit of Mt. Washington

For those that don't know, Mt Washington is the highest peak (6,288 ft) on the East Coast. Until very recently, it held the record for the highest wind speed recorded (231MPH) which held for most of century until being very recently toppled.

Anyhow, for a mere $14/bike you can take the 8 mile trek to the summit. Today's conditions at the summit:

62F
100 mile visibility
50MPH gusts

The road is not built to today's standards and lacks guard rails, and although there have been over 150 deaths in the park, only 1 is attributed to a MC miscalculation.

This was one of the original structures, and personally, I never thought of chaining my entire home to the earth like this one. Maybe a solution to high-crime areas too?

Old rail tracks:

It was about 1430 by the time we descended Mt Washington. A fellow Maine ADV recommended RT 113, so we took that which looped us back to town. The road is about 40 miles long, and meanders next to 2 babbling brooks, through some farms, and partially through the Park.

After a great steak dinner at the Red Parka Tavern, we bedded down in town.

Tomorrow heading off two more state parks as we approach home zone...
Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #44
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
ETA back Home

I know the SMIBs would love to welcome you back... what is your schedule? We can crash your place or mine. I would like to hear all the details left out of the trip because the fear of a hand cramp was too great. As you probably saw... you missed out on a fun weekend @ CHII... we tried to have a rumble with the cats... they kept missing the time Scotty would yell out. It was a good thing because I always had trouble pulling off dance moves from Grease. You both were missed... Cheers!
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #45
blaster11 OP
Living the dream!

Probably late this afternoon