ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,665
Tell me about Spokane!

I applied for a job in Spokane so I thought I'd ask about it, just in case. I've never been west of Grand Junction, CO or north of Rapid City, SD. I was born and raised in Iowa and lived there for just under 16 years, now in Colorado for over 17 years.

I live in the 8th highest-income county in the nation, and the highest outside the NE. So, I am hoping the cost of living will be a bit cheaper.

How much snow does Spokane receive per year, average?

What other pros/cons?

Thanks

DakarNick screwed with this post 11-24-2014 at 10:44 AM
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
firecrotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
whatever you do....if you move there dont live in the "valley" unless you like fog in winter and forest fire smog in summer. Other than that its really a killer place. very very underrated if you ask me. lots and lots of sunshine year round. Close to some killer riding in all directions, 4 full seasons, people are friendly. I am in the process if trying to figure out how to move out there.
firecrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
kenbob
Gnarly GnOOb

Oddometer: 423
Spokane

What he said .

Spokane is about 4 hrs West of me -I get there 5 or 6 times a year. I think its a very nice town . There is a reason its the center of a area they call - " the Inland Empire " .

Mountains to North and East - The Palouse area to the South .

A large but grand ( my opinion ) town . When we were kids we just loved it when the folks said we are going to Spokane .

I don't think you can go wrong .

Ken
kenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Trinity_Session
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Stay out of the valley and I hope you don't have to fly much as fog is a big reason for delays at GEG.

Beautiful country, great riding areas as well.
Trinity_Session is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Spokane should be lower cost of living. There's usually some snowcover in the winter, but not deep (with occasional exceptions). No shortage of cold though.
Spokane is a small big city or maybe a big small city. You can be out in the country in minutes in most directions.
I like it.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,210
I like Spokane. My daughter lived there a few years, and a buddy did a while back. I would check out alternative employment opportunities and also for the spouse if applicable. There is a shortage of well paid jobs in many fields.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,873
Do you have a boat? (I work on them)

Live2Ride screwed with this post 11-23-2014 at 09:33 PM
Live2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Thanks, everyone, for the info! I do not have a boat but I do have a radio-controlled float plane

Keep the ideas and info coming.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,873
I have one to.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
Speed Triple
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Spokane...

First let me say Spokane is not my place in the sun. I have been here 14 years now and I am actively trying to move on... It is no where near your 8th highest income county, in fact it's closer to the oposite end of that spectrum. The wages here are very depressed. I think it's a good place to retire honestly, and we see a lot of that. People make their money else where and come here to retire. There are quite a few ski resorts and lakes for your winter and summer fun. The winter's here in town vary quite a bit as far as snow fall goes but we seem to always have the ice so the moto's get put to bed after halloween and don't come out again until April usually. I came from northern Nevada and I am used to lots of public lands that are open to the public and you won't find that here. Far too much "control" around here for me. Some people like it and some don't, most of the people around here that really like it are either retirees or have never lived anywhere else... It's not the place to come and expect to make money. As far as cost of living, yes houses are fairly cheap but you won't see any appreciation to speak of either. Nothing else is really any cheaper. Spokane never see's the big rise and fall of the housing market like other places, which can be both good and bad depending on where you are at in life. There is quite a lot of unemployment although the numbers don't really show it because there is a large portion of the poulation that quit looking for jobs years ago and just live off the system, sometimes for several generations. It's a shame really, it could be a great little city and I think it once was back when the railroad and kaiser aluminum was going. For me, it's just a place to visit family once a year in the summer time... Not tying to be a downer, just want you to see the whole picture. You may well love it here. BTW, I have a house and shop I'll sell ya'!

Speed Triple screwed with this post 11-24-2014 at 10:14 AM
Speed Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Triple View Post
First let me say Spokane is not my place in the sun. I have been here 14 years now and I am actively trying to move on... It is no where near your 8th highest income county, in fact it's closer to the oposite end of that spectrum. The wages here are very depressed. I think it's a good place to retire honestly, and we see a lot of that. People make their money else where and come here to retire. There are quite a few ski resorts and lakes for your winter and summer fun. The winter's here in town vary quite a bit as far as snow fall goes but we seem to always have the ice so the moto's get put to bed after halloween and don't come out again until April usually. I came from northern Nevada and I am used to lots of public lands that are open to the public and you won't find that here. Far too much "control" around here for me. Some people like it and some don't, most of the people around here that really like it are either retirees or have never lived anywhere else... It's not the place to come and expect to make money. As far as cost of living, yes houses are fairly cheap but you won't see any appreciation to speak of either. Nothing else is really any cheaper. Spokane never see's the big rise and fall of the housing market like other places, which can be both good and bad depending on where you are at in life. There is quite a lot of unemployment although the numbers don't really show it because there is a large portion of the poulation that quit looking for jobs years ago and just live off the system, sometimes for several generations. It's a shame really, it could be a great little city and I think it once was back when the railroad and kaiser aluminum was going. For me, it's just a place to visit family once a year in the summer time... Not tying to be a downer, just want you to see the whole picture. You may well love it here. BTW, I have a house and shop I'll sell ya'!
According to a few people I've talked to in the medical sector the wages are substantially lower there compared to other parts of the PNW. I guess if you have a job lined up it must not be an issue though.
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
Speed Triple
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Correct. If you have a good paying job you are bringing here, then great. I just hope it doesn't run out, a $20/hr job around here is an amazing find, $15 is more the norm... That's why I pointed out the bit about the housing market as well. You can't count on that to appreciate so that you can sell and move on. I'm at a point with my house and shop that I'd be lucky to pay the closing costs and walk away with what I put down 14 years ago. If you figure taxes ($2000/year) insurance and interest, I would have been better off renting. Spokane has not been very good to me.
Speed Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Thanks for the job info, guys. I applied at Amtrak for an engineer position. They're picky so I am not getting my hopes up too much. Their site doesn't note pay but I have and idea of what it would be. My 1 bed + den, 1 bath, garage, 930 square foot apartment is $1230 a month. It looks like I could rent a decent sized house for that or even less.

Keep the good (and bad) coming. At least I could use some of the info for a future vacation to Washington if the job doesn't work out.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #14
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Thanks for the job info, guys. I applied at Amtrak for an engineer position. They're picky so I am not getting my hopes up too much. Their site doesn't note pay but I have and idea of what it would be. My 1 bed + den, 1 bath, garage, 930 square foot apartment is $1230 a month. It looks like I could rent a decent sized house for that or even less.

Keep the good (and bad) coming. At least I could use some of the info for a future vacation to Washington if the job doesn't work out.

Thanks!
Have you considered Sandpoint, Idaho? There is an Amtrak station there, and in my admittedly biased position, I think it's a nicer, though much smaller, community. But right on the end of Lake Pend Orielle, with some spectacular views and all kinds of outdoor activities. Though Spokane sees a LOT less snow; Sandpoint has a ski resort right outside of town. Makes our riding season too damn short.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Well, I'd be based out of Spokane. That's the crew hub/change point. But, I am not limiting myself to only Spokane. However, I'd need to drive to downtown Spokane for work.

As long as it's not too long of a commute I am up for other areas.