ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #1981
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadglide View Post
I'm new to the dual sport riding. Looking for some weekday rides with local folks. Do you maintain an email list or just use this forum to plan rides. I'm also a long time Harley rider so open to both.
This thread is about all the planning this group can muster.

Looks like we're meeting at the Country Kitchen in Athol at 8:00am Saturday morning for a dual sport ride that will last as long as we want. I might bail early. This would be a good group to go with. We're out to have a good ride, nothing too fast.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #1982
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,889
Looks like I will be showing up Sat. morning. Dillon change the spockets and chain on the Superbug for me so I don't have a wimpy excuse not to come. Oh yeah and Dillon says he will even ride to Athol with me to make sure I get there.

See you guys Saturday.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #1983
CommanderDave
Big Dave

Oddometer: 20
Sat Ride

Hello all, Can another newbie join? I have been wondering what the Geo-caching is all about. Weather is supposed to be drop dead gorgeous this week-end. Camping might be fun.....dave
Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #1984
CommanderDave
Big Dave

Continental Divide Trail This August - Anyone Interested???

Hello All,

I am planning to do the Continental Divide Trail this August. Anyone interested in going? leave date is open. I have been working to get my KLR650 ready. Still haven't purchased a GPS. Everyone seems to like the Montana. Pretty rich for my budget. Looking at etrex Vista HCx. Mainly I just want to be able to follow Big Dogs track. Always looking for input on what it takes to accomplish this ride. Thanks...dave
Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #1985
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDave View Post
Hello all, Can another newbie join? I have been wondering what the Geo-caching is all about. Weather is supposed to be drop dead gorgeous this week-end. Camping might be fun.....dave
Absolutely Dave, the more the merrier. I'm glad to see Ladybug and Dillon are coming! I'm so ready for a good ride!
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #1986
CommanderDave
Big Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Absolutely Dave, the more the merrier. I'm glad to see Ladybug and Dillon are coming! I'm so ready for a good ride!

Oh Crap! You want a good ride??? I'm not sure I am up for that kind of pressure!!! See you at breakfast....dave
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #1987
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
I'm gonna try to make to too if it's ok with everyone.

Gonna have to get up pretty early to be in Athol by 8AM.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #1988
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Hello All,

I am planning to do the Continental Divide Trail this August. Anyone interested in going? leave date is open. I have been working to get my KLR650 ready. Still haven't purchased a GPS. Everyone seems to like the Montana. Pretty rich for my budget. Looking at etrex Vista HCx. Mainly I just want to be able to follow Big Dogs track. Always looking for input on what it takes to accomplish this ride. Thanks...dave
I've got that planned for next year but this year I'm doing the WABDR in August if you're interested.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #1989
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
I'm gonna try to make to too if it's ok with everyone.

Gonna have to get up pretty early to be in Athol by 8AM.
Glad to hear you're gonna be there, it'll be good to see ya again. Feeling like reunion time!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #1990
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
There are multiple "bail-out" points that can shorten the ride. We can sort out some details at breakfast. I'm probably gonna make a pretty full day of it...I want to see if it's possible to go from the Bunco and catch Eagle Creek down towards Murray. Some of my maps say yes, some no.... If you'd like to bail a bit quicker, it's easy go hop over to Clark Fork or down the CDA river road and slab it back in a hurry. Of course, I might just be tired and decide to shorten my day too!
I gonna try and make this one, its been a couple of years since I did an ADV ride. Will have to verify my schedule tomorrow.

Eagle Creek near Murray is doable, but somewhat technical and time consuming, kind of a wild ride on a big bike, numerous water crossings and you will get wet. I would advise caution depending on a riders ability.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #1991
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards View Post
I gonna try and make this one, its been a couple of years since I did an ADV ride. Will have to verify my schedule tomorrow.

Eagle Creek near Murray is doable, but somewhat technical and time consuming, kind of a wild ride on a big bike, numerous water crossings and you will get wet. I would advise caution depending on a riders ability.
Thanks for the heads up, good to know. We may want to do the more major FS roads down that way, I'll load a track.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #1992
CommanderDave
Big Dave

Moto-treked

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I've got that planned for next year but this year I'm doing the WABDR in August if you're interested.
Hello Jeff,

I didn't really mention my ride back from Enterprise a few weeks back. Basically it was blowing the bells of Hell. I was pushing it a little in the twisties going down to the Grande Ronde River. I went around one of the corners that was exposed to the full force of the wind and damn near kissed a guard rail. So....I slowed down and a few turns later I was behind a white pick up with 2 dogs in the back. It was going slow and the dogs were happy to see me, at least their barks seemed happy. I was thinking that I probably need to go slow any way. So the dogs and I barked at each for a mile or so and then the truck slowed down to let me pass. Just as I moved over to go by, there was a white flash, a roar and a big KTM (white...not orange) smoked past me. Damn! The down shift was lightning fast! The big KTM was picking up a 1,000 rpms per second! 3 seconds later...it was gone. So...I was thinking I had just been Moto-treked!

I enjoyed our visit at camp. You gave me stuff to think about. Is a 1150GS in my future?? I will pass on the WABDR. I did read your road report on S America. I'm thinking Mexico down to La Paz this winter. Your report will help on that trip. Alaska again next summer. so many roads...so little time/money! Take care....dave
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #1993
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Possible list of caches to try for.

Pend-O-cache
Lonely Lilac
Whisky on the rocks
2706 trail top
Montana/Idaho divide
Little Guard

I'm hoping to plant one at Spion Kop. If you have any suitable trinkets, especially ADV related, might want to bring them.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 10:33 PM
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #1994
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
there was a white flash, a roar and a big KTM (white...not orange) smoked past me. Damn! The down shift was lightning fast! The big KTM was picking up a 1,000 rpms per second! 3 seconds later...it was gone. So...I was thinking I had just been Moto-treked!
I do remember some of that Moto-treked? Dang I'll have to give you a sticker It was windy that day wasn't it. But, the rain had cleaned the road so there wasn't a lot of junk all over it.

Take notes on the Continental Divide I hear there is a lot of re-routing due to the fires in Colorado.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #1995
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,889
Quote:
Possible list of caches to try for.

Pend-O-cache
Lonely Lilac
Whisky on the rocks
2706 trail top
Montana/Idaho divide
Little Guard

I'm hoping to plant one at Spion Kop. If you have any suitable trinkets, especially ADV related, might want to bring them.
Thanks, I haven't even looks at maps yet. I'll get these loaded in my GPS. I don't have any ADV trinkeets but I do have Ladybug trinkets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I do remember some of that Moto-treked? Dang I'll have to give you a sticker It was windy that day wasn't it. But, the rain had cleaned the road so there wasn't a lot of junk all over it.

Take notes on the Continental Divide I hear there is a lot of re-routing due to the fires in Colorado.
Moto-Treked I guess I was Moto-Treked coming out of Troy but it was a nice slow sane pass. Thank you.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote