ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #2236
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Fall Frolic Wallace to Lolo

Ok guys and gals. Here is your change for a great fall ride. Leave Wallace on Saturday morning (October 13th) at the crack of dawn and ride to Hwy 12 via Moon Pass; NF 391, NF 1222, St Joe River Rd, NF 320, Gospel Hill, Deception Saddle, Tobaggan Ridge and on to the Lolo trail and Hwy 12. I've not ridden this route but it looks doable.

Its 190 miles without gas so make sure your bike can do the distance. Well overnight on Hwy 12 someplace; Lolo Hot strings, Lochsa Lodge (gas), or some soft looking dirt patch in the area and return Sunday still working on the route.

Youll need to be prepared to spend the night out on the trail in case we dont make it to Hwy 12 in the available daylight. Meaning camping gear and food. I'm pack'n lite so that's about all I'm bringing.

Im going to get to Wallace Friday, late afternoon/evening, so that I dont have to freeze riding to Wallace early Saturday morning

I tried this ride last year but canceled due to the weather but so far this year the weather looks great

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #2237
TrailsEnd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I would totally be down for this but I have a course I am taking that weekend that I can't cancel

If by chance you could move it to Oct 27th, sign me up! Otherwise, I will wait for the RR

Derek
TrailsEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #2238
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailsEnd View Post
I would totally be down for this but I have a course I am taking that weekend that I can't cancel

If by chance you could move it to Oct 27th, sign me up! Otherwise, I will wait for the RR

Derek
Oh man - tried that last year and that's when the weather turned

Moto-Treks
Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #2239
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,512
If you wait until the 27th you just might be riding and camping in the snow.

I've looked at that route a few times too, on mapsource and benchmark, and would like to ride it but I'm out for this year.

You guys go out and pre-ride it then do it again next season when I can come along.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #2240
moto-treks
Back Home

Fall Frolic Day 2

The next day will be another early start as we need to make 150 miles from Lolo pass to Elk River via the Lolo Trail

Then it's back to Spokane

Moto-Treks
Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #2241
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
If you wait until the 27th you just might be riding and camping in the snow.

I've looked at that route a few times too, on mapsource and benchmark, and would like to ride it but I'm out for this year.

You guys go out and pre-ride it then do it again next season when I can come along.
I sure hope the weather holds as it was getting cold up in those hills a few weeks ago. Right now it's looking like a weekend high of 63 and a low of 38.

Moto-Treks
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #2242
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
It snowed in Kellogg last night I heard from a friend of a friend.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #2243
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
It was 28 degrees at my house this morning.
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #2244
TrailsEnd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Yep, rode into work this morning, it was brisk to say the least...
TrailsEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #2245
moto-treks
Back Home

brrrrrrrrrr I've not tried off-road riding with my heated jacket yet. Maybe this trip will be a first Heated grips are sure nice

Moto-Treks
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #2246
mcjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Mt Spokane got a little snow.
Might head up to the baldies for a little ride saturday
mcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #2247
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

I went for a night ride last night up from the fernan side of Canfield by the gun range up to Spades on the single track. We rode back via 802 then pavement down from the saddle. It was a cold ride down with just a jersey and armor on. Would have been nice to have heated grips. Brrrrrrr

Even with the wind last night the dust was horrible on the trail. Both of us were only running headlights (no helmet lights) which can be disconcerting airing out those Kelly humps on 802.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #2248
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Ok guys and gals. Here is your change for a great fall ride. Leave Wallace on Saturday morning (October 13th) at the crack of dawn and ride to Hwy 12 via Moon Pass; NF 391, NF 1222, St Joe River Rd, NF 320, Gospel Hill, Deception Saddle, Tobaggan Ridge and on to the Lolo trail and Hwy 12. I've not ridden this route but it looks doable.

Its 190 miles without gas so make sure your bike can do the distance. Well overnight on Hwy 12 someplace; Lolo Hot strings, Lochsa Lodge (gas), or some soft looking dirt patch in the area and return Sunday still working on the route.

Youll need to be prepared to spend the night out on the trail in case we dont make it to Hwy 12 in the available daylight. Meaning camping gear and food. I'm pack'n lite so that's about all I'm bringing.

Im going to get to Wallace Friday, late afternoon/evening, so that I dont have to freeze riding to Wallace early Saturday morning

I tried this ride last year but canceled due to the weather but so far this year the weather looks great

I so want to do this ride! I've been thinking about it for a couple years now. In...reasonable weather and snow level permitting. Only thing is, I don't know about doing the entire Lolo motorway and home the next day. We did it this summer, starting about 25 miles into it, it still took till 11:00 or so at night to get home. Of course...there were some detours/stops involved. There are several bailouts possible though.

BTW...guess who I ran into at Slate Creek Saddle last weekend...
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #2249
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post

Probably some asshat dirt biker.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #2250
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I so want to do this ride! I've been thinking about it for a couple years now. In...reasonable weather and snow level permitting. Only thing is, I don't know about doing the entire Lolo motorway and home the next day. We did it this summer, starting about 25 miles into it, it still took till 11:00 or so at night to get home. Of course...there were some detours/stops involved. There are several bailouts possible though.

Well then, meet up in Wallace on Friday night (Oct 12th)

Yeah, day 2 is still being worked on. The Lolo Trail is the long way home. The route home may need to be adjusted based on when we wake Sunday morning and how tired we are. I'm looking into some alternate shorter return routes too.

Moto-Treks