ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #2296
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,260
First weekend of November and I can start joining you XR

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #2297
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
First weekend of November and I can start joining you XR
I could have used your help yesterday!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #2298
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post

Looks like an adventure to me!

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #2299
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Rig a sail on the bike this weekend and you won't even have to start the engine! Don't get blown off a cliff out there man.
Skis might have been just as helpful! I hit about 4" on one of the peaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post
Looks like an adventure to me!

Pete
Adventure is an understatement! I was really close to hiking out to get some help at the point of this photo.

I'll try to write a detailed trail report on Tuesday. 76 miles solo in sun, rain, hail, gropple, snow, ice and fog. Good times.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #2300
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Are you guys riding or logging?
With the truly hardcore (stupid) it is a fine, fine line.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #2301
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

This was yesterday's handiwork.... 4th in class....rode with MCtraveler for a partner as it turned out.

I may or may not have hit the mud pit with Ginger. My friend Eel was riding Donna in the background and he managed to keep her that clean...weird.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #2302
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,701
XR4EVER, I hope you are carrying a SPOT when you are out there riding alone. I'm glad you didn't get hurt and was able to get the bike out.

KR, congrats on the 4th but why are you and your buddy running the same number. I'm easily confused and that really confused me, right along with how the heck that bike is so clean.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #2303
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
Ya may want to invest in one of these

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #2304
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

I wanted one of those but I'm too cheap and wasn't sure my Superbugwould have enough electrical power to pull its self out of trouble. I bought one of these instead: http://www.adventureengineering.com/...oducts/ez-pull Cheaper and smaller although the warn sure does look nice.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #2305
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I wanted one of those but I'm too cheap and wasn't sure my Superbugwould have enough electrical power to pull its self out of trouble. I bought one of these instead: http://www.adventureengineering.com/...oducts/ez-pull Cheaper and smaller although the warn sure does look nice.
I built one like that out of some old rock climbing gear I had laying around. However, I've not tired it yet

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #2306
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

The numbers are the same since they are both my bikes. Had the 112 on Donna before I got Ginger.... My friend who is borrowing the bike was riding with my good riding buddy Dylan.

No wrecks for any of us, now we are laying off riding this week. 24 hr race this weekend. Just bike prep. Changed two tires tonight, got two more tomorrow night.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #2307
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

I realized they must have both been your bikes after I had already posted. It was one of those duh moments a few hours later.

When your next race?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #2308
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
XR4EVER, I hope you are carrying a SPOT when you are out there riding alone.
I don't have a SPOT, but I do have a wife who grew up on a bike over in the valley. She and her brothers are familiar with those trails, and I leave a very detailed plan with her and walk her through the route the night before on Google Earth and the trail maps. Whether or not she is listening....

I then try to call and check in whenever I am in cell service to let her know where I am and where I am headed. I felt this route was fairly safe because it is accessible from Calder in case of an emergency or excessive snow.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #2309
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Here is my embarrassingly long trail report! I had some time to kill before the kids woke up.

My complex route was set: Leave from my mother-in-law’s in Pinehurst at 7 am. Head back Maple St to the trails that head up and over Pine Point and drop back down to Highland Creek. Take old mining roads up the back of Haystack Mt. to where it intersects with Trail #16. Find single track trail #44 off of 16/16B (the maps are confusing and it had been years since I had been back there). Connect to ST trail #155 in Bronson Meadows and head south. Hop east over Cabin Ridge on ST trail #565 to connect to northbound ST trail #252. Follow this to the southern section of #44 and head north back up to Bronson Meadows. Climb out of Bronson Meadows on ST trail #570 up to Cemetery Ridge. Meet back up with trail #16 due west to Kellogg Saddle. Turn right on #111 heading down to Big Creek Rd. Follow Big Creek Rd. to another trail that “only the locals know” that crosses Big Creek and climbs up behind Silver Mt, connecting with the “end” of trail #16. Follow 16 to where I branched off earlier in the day and head back the way I came.

So that was my planned route. Did I make it? The only part that I didn’t follow according to plan: I had been on Ames Creek Trail #570 before, but I have never tried to find it from down in Bronson Meadows. I gave up trying after about a half hour of following swampy water-covered trails, and I headed up what I now know is trail #155 on the topo map. This climbed relentlessly up a rutted out mountainside, directly to trail 16, bypassing Cemetery ridge altogether.

It was a day of mixed emotions. Unloading the bike, it was cold and cloudy. I was fully expecting to hit rain and snow. The first 25 miles were wide/narrow 2-track that are normally high-speed, but the recent rains made the traction similar to greece on ice. All of the accumulated dust turned to fresh cold goo and the rocks felt like chunks of ice. Progress was slow and cold. The higher I went, the more things turned white from the fog and snow. 20 miles in, I was really glad no one came along; I would have felt bad for putting them through this and was questioning if I should continue.

I climbed to the top of Silver Hill (6990’) and was plowing through 4” of drifted snow with a 40mph cross-wind. But as I descended the south face, things got happier. The sun came out, the trail turned narrow, and the next 25 miles were single track bliss.

I was cold and soaked but having a blast until I reached Cabin Ridge Trail #565. Whomever decided this trail could be used as a dirt bike trail had a sick sense of humor. Aside from the downed trees that nearly ended my day with a hike, the switchbacks were insane. They would have been challenging on foot. I had to do pivot turns on 2 of them simply because I had no room to get off the bike. I then had about 6 feet of a run to climb a 4 foot granite face or mudslide. I took years off my clutch on that trail, and I now know how an air-cooled bike acts when it is overheating. I think the only thing that kept me from heading out on foot was the fact that a half mile back, I came up on a VERY pissed hunter. The look on his face was a mix of pure anger that I was on HIS trail, and sheer confusion of how I got that bike up as far as he is, after spending his whole morning hiking up a mountainside. As I approached him, he arrogantly stood directly in the trail square to me, rifle in hand, standing his ground. Luckily the ground was level enough that I could get around him. I nodded as I slowly passed him and he just angrily stared me down. Awwwwkwaaard. As I rode away, I waited for my chest to explode as a 30-06 slug pierced my body. Luckily, that didn’t happen. But the last thing I wanted was to cross his path on foot, so I did EVERYTHING in my power to drag that lump of lard over two slick trees and up a muddy mountainside in the snow.

Overall, my odometer read 76 miles when I loaded back up at 3:30. There were about 18 creek crossings, 2 severe trail washouts, 1 tree I had to drag my bike under, countless trees to hop/drag/tumble over, my boots were full of water and I could feel eyes looking at me through scopes all day. I WILL do this loop again next year, but maybe I’ll hit it before elk season!

XR4EVER screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 02:45 PM Reason: typo
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #2310
dylanj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Pretty excited about the 24 hour race...but miss the crazy borderline stupid adventure rides already...I'm ready for some snow adventures....