ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #3136
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
As dry as it was overall.... the muddy butt still lived up to its name in spots..

At one point I had my bike up to the tank in mud.. 4 laps per rider in the Heavyweight (250+ CC)

My partner and I pulled 8th in our class out of 34 teams. Not sure about overall.
Good job. It's nice to see you rewarded the bike with a beer, it needed something to wash all that mud down with.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #3137
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Sunday was a great day for a ride. I met Rainbow007 at 9:00 am and we headed toward Murray, ID.

Canyon Road

Following the Coeur d Alene river is always fun no matter what time of year

We headed to Settlers_Grove to take a walk

We almost made it to the trailhead before we were stopped by snow. We were close enough to walk in so no problem.

Eagle creek was high, flowing hard but yet extremely clear. The snow melt had the water a nice shade of blue.

Rainbow007

Lots of things to look at in the grove

After the walk in the cedar grove we went to the Sprag Pole for lunch. Yum.

The ride back along the river was just as nice as it was that morning but this just looked cold to me.

It was a nice day riding with a good friend.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #3138
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I've been meaning to ride out that way to see where the snow levels are; you answered that question!
Very jealous of that ride. That area is my home away from home. I still hang onto the Shoshone license plate on one of my cars, and I still have the "208-512-xxxx" prefix (silver valley) on my cell phone. My wife and I have been talking about riding out to the Sprag Pole for lunch one of these days. Dang kids make everything so difficult!

Have you ever continued the hike through the grove of cedars? The hiking trail turns to single track and continues (apparently into MT). We followed it for about 4 hours to the top of the mountains to where we lost the trail at logging roads. We were convinced that we were finally going to reach the limit of our dog's endless energy after that hike, but she slept for about 20 minutes on the way home, hopped out of the car and wanted me to throw the tennis ball.

I finally had a chance to sit down and read your DV RR, Ladybug. Very well done! A good friend of mine has been there multiple times and always talks it up. I always thought he was just a little different, but your pics are making me want to go!! Looking forward to more.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #3139
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
. We were convinced that we were finally going to reach the limit of our dog's endless energy after that hike, but she slept for about 20 minutes on the way home, hopped out of the car and wanted me to throw the tennis ball.

Where is this trail and can I ride it?

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #3140
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Don't think that my wife was't sick of hearing me say, "I wish we could ride this!"

It is strictly a hiking trail, and there are a few switchbacks and rock climbs right out of the grove that would make it impossible to try. Not to mention, I don't think people would think too kindly of us squeezing by on the bikes while they are gawking at the cedars! I've actually thought about finding the back way in from the logging roads and riding the top section...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #3141
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Where is this trail and can I ride it?
I was just trying to find this trail on Google Earth. I need to do a little more studying on the topo maps, but I think this trail ties into our now-infamous Centennial Trail, right around Black Peak. I found this trail years ago in a hiking guide, and it mentioned how it eventually crossed into MT. That would explain where the crossing/merging point would be. You need to get a saw mounted up for this season! There are quite a few legal single track trails right around that area that I'm sure are in just as bad of shape as ole' #7.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #3142
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
You need to get a saw mounted up for this season! There are quite a few legal single track trails right around that area that I'm sure are in just as bad of shape as ole' #7.
On it!

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #3143
dylanj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Can't we just hop over downed trees?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #3144
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

You haven't seen those trees. You go first!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #3145
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Quote:
I've been meaning to ride out that way to see where the snow levels are; you answered that question!
Very jealous of that ride. That area is my home away from home. I still hang onto the Shoshone license plate on one of my cars, and I still have the "208-512-xxxx" prefix (silver valley) on my cell phone. My wife and I have been talking about riding out to the Sprag Pole for lunch one of these days. Dang kids make everything so difficult!

Have you ever continued the hike through the grove of cedars? The hiking trail turns to single track and continues (apparently into MT). We followed it for about 4 hours to the top of the mountains to where we lost the trail at logging roads. We were convinced that we were finally going to reach the limit of our dog's endless energy after that hike, but she slept for about 20 minutes on the way home, hopped out of the car and wanted me to throw the tennis ball.

I finally had a chance to sit down and read your DV RR, Ladybug. Very well done! A good friend of mine has been there multiple times and always talks it up. I always thought he was just a little different, but your pics are making me want to go!! Looking forward to more.
I haven't gone beyond the cedars but I did find the trail you are talking about.

Thank you for the compliment on the DV ride report. I'm glad the pictures are making you want to go. DV has a variety of things. You can go see all the tourist attractions, the old mines, a salt tram (I didn't get there) and you can go ride easy to super technical roads/trails. I stuck with the easy stuff.

It was my first ride since last Oct. and my skills are getting worse and worse every year. I keep saying I'm either going to have to practice and get those skills back up or give up riding before I injure myself. I think I better go with the latter since I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't riding.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #3146
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Don't give up!!!! What I always tell my wife, "You don't quit riding because you get old. You get old because you quit riding!"
Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #3147
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Don't give up!!!! What I always tell my wife, "You don't quit riding because you get old. You get old because you quit riding!"
OR....you can get yourself a hack. We need to get together and you can try mine out and see what you think. But even with a hack, you'll still want to keep that pretty yellow little ds you have. Selling my Dakar was a MAJOR MISTAKE!
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #3148
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

I doubt that a hack is in my future. I have tried one and didn't care much for it. Thanks for the offer to try yours though.

The Superbug won't go any where it's part of the family. I just need to get out riding more instead of working so much.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #3149
NorthIdaHozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Cry

Hey all! Haven't posted yet this spring but I have been riding quite a bit; The old NX just got valves adjusted and new chain, sprockets, and knobbie sneakers that just plain kick ass! Rode around hayden lake then did some dirt scootering around hayden creek area. Sad thing is I got a nice little ticket from the local moto cop and to make matters worse I tipped it over while pushing it in the driveway and bent the brake lever...

'88 Honda NX650
NorthIdaHozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #3150
fatherof4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
OR....you can get yourself a hack. We need to get together and you can try mine out and see what you think. But even with a hack, you'll still want to keep that pretty yellow little ds you have. Selling my Dakar was a MAJOR MISTAKE!

I always thought that they needed to come out with an adventure version of the Spyder. Beef up the suspension, give it some more ground clearance and knobby tires.
fatherof4 is offline   Reply With Quote