ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #3361
DrStrangeride
Let them Eat Roost

Oddometer: 136
Finally got a photobucket account. This was taken from nearly the same location on 5/19/2013

[QUOTE=Kootenai Rider;21559375]In other news...

Pics from Saturday's ride.... started in Newman lake from a lakeside cabin, riding with my buddy Jason....

Overlooking Newman Lake, Muzzy Bay...
DrStrangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #3362
DrStrangeride
Let them Eat Roost

[QUOTE=XR4EVER;21622349]For those who are interested, here is my buddy's GoPro footage from the day we made it up the face of Graham Mt. This footage is from the way back down. Cameras sure have a way of making big rocks look small!

Looks like Fun! Was accross the way this weekend. Cemetery Ridge still snowed-in.

Was down here near Spooner Pass and Minden, NV a few days before.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #3363
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
Cameras sure have a way of making big rocks look small!

Yeah, the gravel in my driveway looks rougher than that!

lamotovita screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 08:06 PM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #3364
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,286
WOW, look at all the fun everyone is having
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #3365
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
So did you guys head down the south face then head back to uh.... I think its trail 33?

I know when my buddy Dylan and I went up Graham last fall we kinda switch backed up the trail a few times... looks like you guys just mobbed...looks easier than what we did.
Looks can be deceiving.... I'm not sure I'd ever elect to go up that way again. We just hated to make it that far and not make it to the top because of a little snow. It turned into a bit of a race to the top.
Trail 33 was still partly snowed in and had a ton of downfall. We came up and back down 17, which eventually intersects the hill we had problems with that goes up and back down to Kellogg. We should name that trail "Zoo Road" for the Baja reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangeride View Post
Cemetery Ridge still snowed-in.
DrStrangeride, is that Elsie Lake? I thought it was for sure until I looked at your Photobucket pictures and saw a gate behind you... Is there a gate up there now?

Did you try to make it back trail #226? (The ridge quad-trail that heads south from the ridge top just before you head downhill to Elsie) I'm assuming that is what you were refering to by being snowed in. I've been wanting to head up that way to see if it is clear yet. My patience is wearing thin to find a melted way into Bronson Meadows.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #3366
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:

DrStrangeride, is that Elsie Lake?
Looks like it to me... From last fall...

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #3367
DrStrangeride
Let them Eat Roost

XR You got it. Had not realized that there was a closed gate, but I don't think it takes you very far. We tried #226 (Cemetery ridge), but way tooo much snow. Also ran up Elf Creek (I think). Trail starts at water crossing at the second bridge as you enter from Big Creek. Hit snow there as well but kept running until I realized that I was having technical difficulties with my rear sprocket. Glad it was mostly downhill to the truck.

DrStrangeride, is that Elsie Lake? I thought it was for sure until I looked at your Photobucket pictures and saw a gate behind you... Is there a gate up there now?

Did you try to make it back trail #226? (The ridge quad-trail that heads south from the ridge top just before you head downhill to Elsie) I'm assuming that is what you were refering to by being snowed in. I've been wanting to head up that way to see if it is clear yet. My patience is wearing thin to find a melted way into Bronson Meadows.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #3368
DrStrangeride
Let them Eat Roost

Yes Paul. I love that place and hesitated to post such a nice little spot. Spent a lot of time there in the late 80's fishing and usually do so at least once a year. Concerned that USFS has "over maintained" the road.

Quote:
Looks like it to me... From last fall...

Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #3369
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Its a shame to find such a well maintained road in the middle of no-where.

The is a trail that leads out of the NE corner of the lake/camp you could probably get through right now that'll get you up to Cemetery or get you to Wallace depending on where you're headed.

We may try and hit the Revett Lake or upper/lower Glidden lake on Sunday though i am a little concerned about the snow.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #3370
DrStrangeride
Let them Eat Roost

Any exploring the ID/MT Trail toward Thompson Falls?

Quote:
Its a shame to find such a well maintained road in the middle of no-where.

The is a trail that leads out of the NE corner of the lake/camp you could probably get through right now that'll get you up to Cemetery or get you to Wallace depending on where you're headed.

We may try and hit the Revett Lake or upper/lower Glidden lake on Sunday though i am a little concerned about the snow.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #3371
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Quote:
Any exploring the ID/MT Trail toward Thompson Falls?
Heading North, no, as I know that there is a lot of downfall. XRs4ever cleared about 5 miles last fall, but again, that was last fall.

I don't have a chainsaw mount yet soooo hopefully going to do trails that don't have much downfall.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #3372
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Concerned that USFS has "over maintained" the road.
You mean how they turned it into a highway? It made me sick when I saw that last summer. Now they had to gate off sections because of overuse... Did they really not see that coming?
My wife talks about how the Boy Scouts would hike in from Big Creek every year to go fishing when she was a kid, in part because it was easier to hike in than drive.
I came down the trail I think you are referring to that crosses over Elf Creek (Dot Creek trail #111? The one with all of the big "speed bumps"?) last summer and had to wait for a convoy of motorhomes and enclosed trailers to pass by before I could get on Big Creek Rd.

BTW, that sprocket!

Did you see this thread concerning the Centennial Trail north of Thompson Pass? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822560
Old 06-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #3373
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Going in from the Burke side? Should be less snow that way but get ready to log hop. If you have to turn back, head up Terror Gulch out of Osburn. There is a road on the left a mile north from the I-90 underpass that leads to some sweet trails that should all be clear.

I am still on the fence about heading out this weekend. I am dying to, and I could probably use my "Father's Day" free pass, but I haven't seen my wife for more than 20 minutes since Sunday. Maybe she just needs to come with me!
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #3374
DrStrangeride
Let them Eat Roost

XR just checked-out the Centennial Trail Thread. That looks fun. Also went to the ID Trails website for the first time. I like to user Google earth to plan and store rides. Do you a way to obtain ALL of the *.kmz files for trails in the CDA and St. Joe NFs? TIA.

Quote:
You mean how they turned it into a highway? It made me sick when I saw that last summer. Now they had to gate off sections because of overuse... Did they really not see that coming?
My wife talks about how the Boy Scouts would hike in from Big Creek every year to go fishing when she was a kid, in part because it was easier to hike in than drive.
I came down the trail I think you are referring to that crosses over Elf Creek (Dot Creek trail #111? The one with all of the big "speed bumps"?) last summer and had to wait for a convoy of motorhomes and enclosed trailers to pass by before I could get on Big Creek Rd.

BTW, that sprocket!

Did you see this thread concerning the Centennial Trail north of Thompson Pass? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822560
Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #3375
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 660
Hey all,

Never posted in this section of adv before.

Long story short, many MC injuries have left me with a metal hip and a foot that doesn't look or work quite right. I decided to ditch the full on dirtbike so I don't keep doing stupid shit and moved to an F800GS in the name of self preservation.

I was thinking of riding from Hayden over to Whitefish MT next week, by way of Fire roads etc and was hoping to get some local feedback on my proposed route.

Take a look and let me know thoughts, and if you have any other more interesting stuff. Now remember, 800GS, no Goat trails. ;)

http://goo.gl/maps/xFxow
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote