ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #3466
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
Would love to make it, but Westside has ONE new 2014 CRF250L in stock and I want to see it first thing in the morning. They also have a new F800GS Adventure I want to throw a leg over.

BTW, got in well over 100 miles on the hack today. First, Nanc, then my daughter rode monkey for me. Perfect weather!!!
Those are two drastically different bikes Dale. My boss has the 250L. Its a great bike for the price. Surprisingly nimble in tight stuff. Good gearing for dual sporting. If i owned one id do minimal mods, clean up the subfender, slip on pipe and a real skidplate.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #3467
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I'll do my best to make it on time for breakfast. I want to publicly thank Motomedic for coming over to help out with my steering stem maintenance today. Your breakfast is on me and lunch too.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #3468
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
I really should check this more often. One of these days.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #3469
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Those are two drastically different bikes Dale. My boss has the 250L. Its a great bike for the price. Surprisingly nimble in tight stuff. Good gearing for dual sporting. If i owned one id do minimal mods, clean up the subfender, slip on pipe and a real skidplate.
Paul, Thanks for the input. I really like the 250L. I especially like the weight, which for an old fart like me is becoming more of an issue. FI is also something I like. What does your boss think of the suspension. I am assuming that is it's weak point. I sat on a WR250 also. The price of replacing the Honda's suspension with better springs, emulators, and a better rear shock surprisingly bring the price advantage of the 250L down really fast.

The F800GS and adventure are beautiful bikes. Both pretty pricey, and both a little heavier than I want anymore Stock, my old 650 Dakar was only 20-40 lbs lighter, however, and I had a ball on that. One of my biggest mistakes was selling that Dakar.

So, once I win lotto, giggle, snort, howl, I will promptly pick up the 250L and have you help me mod it out. I will also get a BIG GS and new sidecar for long distance driving. My monkey likes the sidecar.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #3470
mcjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
WU7X, what does the stock Honda suspension not do that you need it to do? Could a simple spring swap front and rear solve the problem?
mcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #3471
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjunky View Post
WU7X, what does the stock Honda suspension not do that you need it to do? Could a simple spring swap front and rear solve the problem?
That's about all I'd do. Springs, emulators, and a better rear shock. Jay (Sasquatch) taught me the need for upgrading suspensions, as they seem to be the weak point (with the exception of Yamahas) from all the manufacturers.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #3472
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Well, I'm sure Alpha One Nine will be along shortly to post the route of today's ride, but I will say we had a blast. South to McCloskey State Park, over Iron Mountain, out to St. Maries, and north along the east side of Lake CDA. Saw a passel of Ferraris, with a couple Lambos and a McLaren SLR in St. Maries, then caught up with them in Harrison.

One of the F430s decided he wanted to play. I watched him pass Rick and John in my mirror, then said to myself "Buddy, you wanna pass me, I'm gonna make ya work for it!"

And so I did. Stayed ahead of him all the way north to the boat ramp at Mineral Ridge. Speeds were, ahem, supralegal at times. Good fun, although I have to admit, I (and the Ferrari) put down some passes that the State Patrol would have frowned upon. All were done safely, and with plenty of warning to the passee, but I'm betting the pirates were irritated. If you're reading this, and you're one of the guys I passed, sorry man.

No doubt there's some dude posting on a Ferrari forum about how he got smoked by a dirt bike!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #3473
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Great Breakfast meet up and ride! Motomedic summed up the ride pretty well. Here are a few pics starting with the track map.

194 miles per the track file

Taking a break at McCrosky. John pulled some BBQ'd spare ribs out of that high tech top case/helmet rack of his.

A little ways off the main road on Iron Mountain.

Motomedic lead the way from McCrosky to St. Maries. It was a great route. I didn't think he knew this area.

Those pesky cages

Almost to Wolf Lodge. We crossed I-90 and took the Yellowstone Trail into CDA then back to Spo Valley "the back way".
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #3474
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
One of the F430s decided he wanted to play. I watched him pass Rick and John in my mirror, then said to myself "Buddy, you wanna pass me, I'm gonna make ya work for it!"
I saw a red blur in my left mirror for a few milliseconds and then it was passing John who was quite a ways in front of me. That thing was moving!
2005 KLR650 - The KLR

Alpha One Nine screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 10:30 PM
Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #3475
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Nice route you guys took. Glad you had fun and didn't get a ticket or worse yet get squished by one of those fast cars being piloted by someone trying to show you just how fast they are.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #3476
Schweitzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Otis Grill

Looks like a great ride. Hope you enjoyed the Otis Grill. It's my local breakfast joint. Is anyone riding tomorrow, Sunday.
Schweitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #3477
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweitzer View Post
Looks like a great ride. Hope you enjoyed the Otis Grill. It's my local breakfast joint. Is anyone riding tomorrow, Sunday.
How's it going Larry? Yeah yesterday's ride down SR27 was much more pleasant than the one we did a few week ago on our way to Enterprise.

No riding for me today except to run a few errands. I have an irrigation system that needs some serious maintenance.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #3478
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Nice route you guys took. Glad you had fun and didn't get a ticket or worse yet get squished by one of those fast cars being piloted by someone trying to show you just how fast they are.
In reality (a place I try not to inhabit too often...), the dude in the F430 showed pretty good skills/restraint while he was behind me. Didn't really tailgate, and didn't make any unsafe passes. I have no doubt that on the right road/track, the car has the potential to show me it's taillights, with absolutely no recourse on my part. But, he let me have my fun.

The rest of the pack came along 10-15 minutes later....

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #3479
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Not "ADVing", but a cool story to share....

We borrowed my brother-in-law's quad on Saturday to take the kids up in the mountains to let them play in some snow in July!

It is a long trip up the mountain when you have to go slow, but the kids got a real kick out of seeing snow in the summer. And they loved playing with the bear grass pom-poms.

We kept swapping kids to keep them entertained on the way back down, but it still wasn't enough to keep the little one awake! I thought she was just looking down at the ground when I realized she was falling asleep. I wrapped my arm around her, and that was all she needed to go into a deep sleep. I must have held her like this for a slow and agonizing 3 miles until I caught up to where Susan had pulled over. We propped her up in our oldest's lap and headed another 6 miles to Gramma's house. She finally woke up after we got there and looked a little confused at where she was!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #3480
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Paul, Thanks for the input. I really like the 250L. I especially like the weight, which for an old fart like me is becoming more of an issue. FI is also something I like. What does your boss think of the suspension. I am assuming that is it's weak point. I sat on a WR250 also. The price of replacing the Honda's suspension with better springs, emulators, and a better rear shock surprisingly bring the price advantage of the 250L down really fast.
Quote:
That's about all I'd do. Springs, emulators, and a better rear shock. Jay (Sasquatch) taught me the need for upgrading suspensions, as they seem to be the weak point (with the exception of Yamahas) from all the manufacturers.

The stock suspension is a little stiffer than I'd care for, but overall not bad.

I guess you have to ask yourself, what are you doing with this bike? Honestly, unless money is no object, I'd probably just leave it. I rode it through some stuff that isn't easy on my KTM, and while stiffer than the KTM, was just fine.

I wouldn't upgrade just because the guys on the innernets said you had to. Jay also had a vested interest in telling you that you needed it upgraded.

While I am a big fan of nice suspension, out of the the box, the suspension works for 95% of the people buying this bike. You don't need to upgrade suspension if this is a grocery hauler/commuter/minor dirt road bike. You can if you want to though.

My boss is a new rider so I don't think he has much feedback.

I can't compare the 250L to the WR as most of the time I"ve ridden on a WR is of my other boss and its all Super-Moto'd out with some stiffffff suspension and a hopped up engine.

Other input.... the stock headlight is very bright, even on low beam. It has a nice wide seat stock, compared to the 2x4 the WR has.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote