ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #3496
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
Just thought I would weigh in a bit, for another $300 you get fully adjustable suspension on the KLX. From what I have read the new Honda 250 DS bike does not have adjustable suspension. To me some level of tuneablility is worth $300.
And on a side note, no im not dead, no Randis bike isnt built yet, but we are looking at getting her something two wheeled tomorrow...
Hey Dillon and Randi, glad to hear the two of you are still alive! Last time we talked (by phone) you were at the in-laws. Have they converted you to H-D yet? What kind of 2W are you looking for?

I like the idea of an adjustable suspension, but does the KLX come with FI, or is it still carburated?

Nanc and I are headed down to Chaps @ 9 a.m. today. Meeting up with some Beemer buddies. They going for a long ride. We won't do anything too fast on the hack until I get the wheel bearings replaced Hopefully, the beginning of August.

I've got a refrig full of cold ones. You two need to come up some time soon.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #3497
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,657
The KLX is still carbed, so that is one up side to the Honda if you feel the need for EFI. But honestly when it comes to the smaller displacement guys I have yet to see a marked increase in performance or efficiency going to EFI. At least not enough to justify the price of the WR. If you dont mind having set suspension then the Honda would be a great choice.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #3498
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
The KLX is still carbed, so that is one up side to the Honda if you feel the need for EFI. But honestly when it comes to the smaller displacement guys I have yet to see a marked increase in performance or efficiency going to EFI. At least not enough to justify the price of the WR. If you dont mind having set suspension then the Honda would be a great choice.
Well, I am 65; and I don't jump logs. I need somthing that will get me offroad sometime. But won't eat up all my few $$, is built well and can be repaired, and once I go up the chimney my kids can have fun with.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #3499
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I took the WR out for a dual-sport spin yesterday to try out the new oversized fuel tank. Unfortunately my butt does not benefit from the additional fuel range. I have a Seat Concepts kit on the way and I really hope that improves the comfort on the road.

This was at 7-Mile ORV Park around 5:30 PM and it was an empty wasteland. Not surprising though. How much fun can loose sand and silt beds be when it's 95 degrees.

This morning I did some peddling.

I only did about 8 miles but it's been a long time since I spent much time on a bicycle. Every ride is a little further.

At least I had some infotainment with me. I'm still getting the speedo dialed in on the $9 eBay bike computer. I was flipping between iHeartRadio and a GPS app on the smartphone to get the speedo dialed in.

By the way, if you think I ride slow on the motorcycle, you aint seen nothin'.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine

Alpha One Nine screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 02:08 PM
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #3500
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 250
Looks good Rick. Seven mile seemed pretty rutted out when I was there last week. Still fun for how close it is. The technologically enabled mountain bike is right up you alley!
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #3501
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
For those that know Valleyrider and even those that don't he had a get off or colision with another rider at the races at Airway Heights a few days ago. He's bruised up pretty good and has a broker collar bone (I think that's what he said). He's home working on recovering. As you can tell I'm not very clear on the details but wishing him a very speedy recovery.

He's an ADV rider for sure, the picture of him on facebook on the gurney to the ambulance he was smiling and giving a thumbs up but his arm really looked ugly.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #3502
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
For those that know Valleyrider and even those that don't he had a get off or colision with another rider at the races at Airway Heights a few days ago. He's bruised up pretty good and has a broker collar bone (I think that's what he said). He's home working on recovering. As you can tell I'm not very clear on the details but wishing him a very speedy recovery.

He's an ADV rider for sure, the picture of him on facebook on the gurney to the ambulance he was smiling and giving a thumbs up but his arm really looked ugly.
Do we need a meet and greet to give him some shit?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #3503
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,873
Hey Rick, I think you will like the Seat Concepts seat. I just put one on the DRZ and it made a big difference. Rode it over to Missoula last weekend and came back over LOLO pass. About 465 miles and feeling good.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #3504
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
Hey Rick, I think you will like the Seat Concepts seat. I just put one on the DRZ and it made a big difference. Rode it over to Missoula last weekend and came back over LOLO pass. About 465 miles and feeling good.
That's good to hear. Did you staple the cover on yourself? I'm torn between buying an air stapler and trying to do it myself or taking it to a pro. Do you do upholstery work for boats at the shop? I have one for the KLR coming to. I should have both kits tomorrow.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #3505
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Heal up quickly Valleyrider!
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #3506
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,143
Quote:

Ouch, that sucks. Sending prayers his way!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #3507
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
Do we need a meet and greet to give him some shit?
Are you back in town? I thought you were still on the road chasing Harleys to Sturgis or something?

If we do a meet and greet to give Valleyrider some shit I think we'd have to do it at his house. I think I remember where he lives.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #3508
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,873
No, I took mine to an upholstery shop. I wanted it to look good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
That's good to hear. Did you staple the cover on yourself? I'm torn between buying an air stapler and trying to do it myself or taking it to a pro. Do you do upholstery work for boats at the shop? I have one for the KLR coming to. I should have both kits tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #3509
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Are you back in town? I thought you were still on the road chasing Harleys to Sturgis or something?

If we do a meet and greet to give Valleyrider some shit I think we'd have to do it at his house. I think I remember where he lives.
Got back in town last Wed., stopped in Sturgis( 1 hour there and I had enough, of loud HD's anyway) on my way to upstate New York.
I'm heading out again, on the DR, to do some camping somewhere- maybe Spion Kop area, Wed. night and maybe Thursday night. When do ya wanna go give Valleyrider some shit?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #3510
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Saw this thread yesterday, thought I would say hello. Been on ADV since '08, I think I didn't make my first post until '11 when I almost bought a Triumph Scrambler. Currently ride an '07 FJR and considering a Tenere but still feeling out what I want for a bike that can do some dirt and still go all day long day after day.

Erik
smithe is offline   Reply With Quote