ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #3511
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post
Saw this thread yesterday, thought I would say hello.
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #3512
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Saw this thread yesterday, thought I would say hello. Been on ADV since '08, I think I didn't make my first post until '11 when I almost bought a Triumph Scrambler. Currently ride an '07 FJR and considering a Tenere but still feeling out what I want for a bike that can do some dirt and still go all day long day after day.

Erik
Moved from sport touring to adv riding myself about five years ago and rarely pine for the old K12RS. The big trailies are good at many things which to me is better than great at just one thing! Don't rule out the GS and Multistrada until you've tried both. They might move you away from that Yammie!
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #3513
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
I think I will feel the same when I make the switch. I had to rule out the GS because my knees hit it's bodywork worse than the Tenere. The only thing that appeals to me on the Multi is the power and even that is becoming less important to me to a point.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #3514
DiamondLie
Banned

Quote:
The only thing that appeals to me on the Multi is the power and even that is becoming less important to me to a point.
Better not test ride one unless you want that notion really challenged. Wow... Superbike power in an ADV chassis... Fuhgettaboutit!!!

BTW, Westside has a demo model. Heh heh.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #3515
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,940
Hey Smithe, welcome!

Unless you really are set on a monster DS, give the F800GS and Triumph 800XC a shot. The Triumph triple is really one smooth engine.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #3516
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
Of course, Dave Russel has a 990 Baja sitting on the floor....

It all comes down to priorities. I'm still a dirt guy at heart, and the 990 is a bit more dirt oriented than the others in the category.

Oh yeah, hi there Smithe

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #3517
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

I am going to test ride a Tenere this week, was planning on riding the Multistrada and a GS back to back a week ago but I didn't get back from a work trip as early as I planned and then stuff just got in the way of it. There aren't really any of the big dualies that I don't like for one reason or another but, a good dealer network, readily available parts, etc will play a part in my choice.

There is a part of me that says buy a used KLR, XL, DR or something along those lines and keep the FJR. Two bikes are better than one right?

Thanks for the welcome.
smithe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #3518
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
What izzit with you kids wanting these big monstrous bikes? Small bikes R fun.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #3519
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
They can be, heck I kinda want one of the new Honda Groms! My problem is at 6'3" a lot of bikes aren't a good fit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #3520
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Speaking of small bikes, mine speaks to me louder every year . Last time I went to the BMW Rally in Replublic I went on my beemer F650GS. http://wsbmwr.org/ . This year.... I'm going on the Yammi . And Maureen is going on her Sherpa. We've both ridden all the pavement and basic gravel roads around there, but according to Benchmark Maps there's a lot more to be checked out.... Think those Beemer Heads will welcome a couple gals on ... welll .. not beemers? Anyone else want to help "spoil" the party?

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #3521
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by sector View Post
Think those Beemer Heads will welcome a couple gals on ... welll .. not beemers? ?
I think you will be fine. (Take some Keystone, it will go a long ways)
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #3522
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Speaking of small bikes, mine speaks to me louder every year . Last time I went to the BMW Rally in Replublic I went on my beemer F650GS. http://wsbmwr.org/ . This year.... I'm going on the Yammi . And Maureen is going on her Sherpa. We've both ridden all the pavement and basic gravel roads around there, but according to Benchmark Maps there's a lot more to be checked out.... Think those Beemer Heads will welcome a couple gals on ... welll .. not beemers? Anyone else want to help "spoil" the party?
Years ago I was at a BMW rally when some riders came to the gate and asked if they could come in even if they didn't ride BMWs. The immediate answer was "C'mon in, we don't even care if you have motorcycles or not".
The BMW crowd has changed a bit since then, but I like to think some of the old spirit remains.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #3523
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
If you don't wind up doing that, but want to ride down at LPO (Beaver Lodge) my Boss and I are probably going to ride there Saturday. He's a newer off-road rider, so we won't be going too fast or crazy, just putting around the trails... feel free to join us...

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #3524
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,646
Well Randi is finally on two wheels...

We got a Genuine Scooter Buddy 50 (from Steve at Stex) for her primarily to commute on. We had been talking about a small scooter for her as her commute is 8 blocks at 30mph. We looked at the Zuma and Ruckus, and both had horrible fit and finish and performance compared to the Buddy. I test rode this guy and was able to hit a real world 40mph (admittedly it was uncorked, but Steve sells all his 50s with the limiters removed), not bad for a 50cc 2stroke. And the build quality on this guy is miles above Yamaha and Hondas offerings. Oh and $2600 OTD.
We went cruising a bit on Sunday and it was loads of fun, and honestly it has me wanting one too...
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #3525
DiamondLie
Banned

Quote:
They can be, heck I kinda want one of the new Honda Groms! My problem is at 6'3" a lot of bikes aren't a good fit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
+1. Big monstrous guys typically like/need big monstrous bikes.

I was riding with a friend in the Columbia River Gorge area last weekend. Me on my 1200GSA and he on his 2nd gen KLR. The winds were blowing 30+mph right into our face and the West-Side drivers were doing their normal freeway average of 80mph. When we pulled over for gas he looked white as a ghost and pretty stressed out. He said he had to keep it pinned WFO to barely keep up and then was getting buffeted all over the place by the winds and semi truck blasts.

Yeah...I'm just fine on my big monstrous machine.