ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #4186
Bgunn
Mucha distancia
 
Bgunn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Rockford Wa
Oddometer: 1,363
VStrom mpg

Did a ride last month to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I rode a KTM 950 and my Dad rode his DL650. My normal mileage is about 36 mpg. When we rode 55 mph his mpg's was up there in the 50's. At high speeds we were pretty much even.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:44 AM   #4187
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister
 
Ladybug0048's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
Oddometer: 10,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Don't worry, I still do lots of dumb things. But with age comes wisdom, which is why I can see palm trees out my window right now and the only ice I've seen lately has been in either a glass or a blender.
I have a DL650 here, it will do 80mph all day and get 55mpg with its 6 gallon tank, that's it's best feature.
Enjoy the warm weather for me too.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #4188
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer
 
lamotovita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA/AZ, USA
Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
That's what I was expecting... I hope something isn't wrong with the one I got. Maybe it was that stupid tall windscreen and the extra 10-15mph of cross, but mostly in my face wind. So even at 80MPH you're able to still get 50+? Any adjustments you'd suggest I can do?
My bike is stock except for the Jesse bags that are usually on it, and a fork brace. It is the later model with dual plug heads, I don't know if that makes a difference.
While you are cleaning and servicing the bike look for any "performance mods" that may have been made to the intake or exhaust system that might affect fuel economy.
Then WAIT for spring and test ride it.
__________________
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #4189
Stephenmarklay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Stephenmarklay's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Oddometer: 294
Your crazier than I am and I'm a bit off

I have not missed a day of riding but my VStrom has. I switch to a TW200 for my commute in winter. There are not too many bikes I would ride in the winter.

Even with the TW200 I have gone down 2 times and had a lot of sketchy moments. The TW takes it all in stride however.

Be safe.

BTW I may have some bars for you. Mine are from a 2012 but they may fit (not black however). Perhaps a bar end weight, and a signal lens too.
Stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #4190
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Did a ride last month to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I rode a KTM 950 and my Dad rode his DL650. My normal mileage is about 36 mpg. When we rode 55 mph his mpg's was up there in the 50's. At high speeds we were pretty much even.

Well, that makes me feel a little better.




Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
My bike is stock except for the Jesse bags that are usually on it, and a fork brace. It is the later model with dual plug heads, I don't know if that makes a difference.
While you are cleaning and servicing the bike look for any "performance mods" that may have been made to the intake or exhaust system that might affect fuel economy.
Then WAIT for spring and test ride it.

Believe me when I say, I don't like riding in snow, swore I'd never do it. The bike won't be out until roads are clear.

I've checked intake and exhaust, they seem stock to me. I'm getting a stock windshield, and hoping it was just that stupid tall one and the wind that made mileage so bad.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
Your crazier than I am and I'm a bit off

I have not missed a day of riding but my VStrom has. I switch to a TW200 for my commute in winter. There are not too many bikes I would ride in the winter.

Even with the TW200 I have gone down 2 times and had a lot of sketchy moments. The TW takes it all in stride however.

Be safe.

BTW I may have some bars for you. Mine are from a 2012 but they may fit (not black however). Perhaps a bar end weight, and a signal lens too.
Are you the guy who works out at Westside that I've heard about? One of the sales people talked about a crazy who worked there riding a t-dub in the snow. I love the little tw200s. Some of my favorite bikes. I'd probably mess around in the snow on one if I had one too.

As far as parts, if you happen to see them around, let me know. I also need the front bracket of the brake reservoir, the part that takes the bolts and holds the mirrors. It cracked in half, but oddly enough, my mirror doesn't have a scratch...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #4191
Live2Ride
Not Famous
 
Live2Ride's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Spoklahoma, Wa.
Oddometer: 3,873
I noticed your front signal is broke. I have some extra's if you need one. LMK and I will bring it to the re gifting party.
__________________
Loud pipes don't save lives, but they do let you know I'm in the area.
Live2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #4192
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
I noticed your front signal is broke. I have some extra's if you need one. LMK and I will bring it to the re gifting party.
Mighty kind of you, sir. I'm contemplating ordering flush signals, so that this doesn't happen again. But if you happened to have a right side hand guard, stock windshield, bar end weight, or that mount for the brake reservoir, I'd take you up on it. ;)
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #4193
Live2Ride
Not Famous
 
Live2Ride's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Spoklahoma, Wa.
Oddometer: 3,873
Sorry, signals are all I have. I replaced my front ones with flush mounts and the rears are integrated in the brake/tail light. Oh, and you can get the flush mounts at Cycle Gear for around $12.
__________________
Loud pipes don't save lives, but they do let you know I'm in the area.
Live2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #4194
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
Sorry, signals are all I have. I replaced my front ones with flush mounts and the rears are integrated in the brake/tail light. Oh, and you can get the flush mounts at Cycle Gear for around $12.
Good info! Thanks for that. Do you by chance have better hand guards than stock? Because those are pretty flimsy for how much they charge. Tusk ones with aluminum in them are almost the same price.
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #4195
Live2Ride
Not Famous
 
Live2Ride's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Spoklahoma, Wa.
Oddometer: 3,873
Just have the stock ones on mine. They were on the bike when I bought it. I have had the bike 8 years and haven't had a problem with them. But, I don't ride it in the winter.
__________________
Loud pipes don't save lives, but they do let you know I'm in the area.
Live2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #4196
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
Just have the stock ones on mine. They were on the bike when I bought it. I have had the bike 8 years and haven't had a problem with them. But, I don't ride it in the winter.
Hah, do suppose that'll help a bit. No need to worry, until I get a hack no more snow for me.
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #4197
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Alright guys, I need some advice. While going up to Powersport to order a part for the DL650, they clued me in on a deal they're running on their 2013s. 0% interest for 60 months. That means, for less than $200 a month, I could have a 2013 DL650 Adventure, with a 6 year warranty, and they'll throw in a free givi skidplate and center stand.

So, here's my dilemma, I'm a poor kid. I only make about $1400 a month, but that is such a low payment that I can actually afford it. Since I have a roommate, my monthly expenses are around $500 a month including food. Mathematically it all works out for me. My question is, is it worth it to buy a new one for the warranty, or should I get a low 3-5% loan from a credit union for a used 2010 $6000-7000 bike? Where monthly payment would be closer to $120 a month for 60 months, or $190 for 36. $80 to me is like three trips to the plasma bank.

I've never bought a new vehicle in my entire life. I've never had an auto-loan either. I usually come, cash in hand, and buy used for way less. But then again, I've never ever been offered 0% interest and an unlimited warranty.

I'm set on buying an adventure bike for myself, pretty sure I've mentioned, but the 2005 DL650 was for Rachael. I miss having my KLR to kick around. My Buell just isn't the machine I need, and it will be sold spring/summer for hopefully around $3500.

So, I ask you guys, who are much wiser than this foolish kid. What do you think?
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #4198
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,778
New or Used

Interesting question. Do you have a 2010 DL650 picked out or are you just thinking you will find one? Iím asking because condition of a used bike makes a difference. Japanese bikes are are typically pretty reliable so not sure if the warranty is that important. Iíve not looked into DL650ís - is there a difference in the model years? Did you make an offer on the new bike? I wouldnít pay asking price.

In general, I hate loans and canít think of the last time I had one (not counting the house ) 5 years is a long time Unless there is a good reason for a 2013 (model wise) I would sell your Buell and then look for a good used bike.
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #4199
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer
 
lamotovita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA/AZ, USA
Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
Alright guys, I need some advice. While going up to Powersport to order a part for the DL650, they clued me in on a deal they're running on their 2013s. 0% interest for 60 months. That means, for less than $200 a month, I could have a 2013 DL650 Adventure, with a 6 year warranty, and they'll throw in a free givi skidplate and center stand.

So, here's my dilemma, I'm a poor kid. I only make about $1400 a month, but that is such a low payment that I can actually afford it. Since I have a roommate, my monthly expenses are around $500 a month including food. Mathematically it all works out for me. My question is, is it worth it to buy a new one for the warranty, or should I get a low 3-5% loan from a credit union for a used 2010 $6000-7000 bike? Where monthly payment would be closer to $120 a month for 60 months, or $190 for 36. $80 to me is like three trips to the plasma bank.

I've never bought a new vehicle in my entire life. I've never had an auto-loan either. I usually come, cash in hand, and buy used for way less. But then again, I've never ever been offered 0% interest and an unlimited warranty.

I'm set on buying an adventure bike for myself, pretty sure I've mentioned, but the 2005 DL650 was for Rachael. I miss having my KLR to kick around. My Buell just isn't the machine I need, and it will be sold spring/summer for hopefully around $3500.

So, I ask you guys, who are much wiser than this foolish kid. What do you think?
Suzuki's extended warranty (SEP) is worthless, they will wiggle out of anything you ever need!
Very little ever goes wrong with DL650s, I'd ask for a discount instead of the warranty. I'd also spend some time riding the one you have (when the snow is gone) before you decide to buy another one.
__________________
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #4200
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Interesting question. Do you have a 2010 DL650 picked out or are you just thinking you will find one? Iím asking because condition of a used bike makes a difference. Japanese bikes are are typically pretty reliable so not sure if the warranty is that important. Iíve not looked into DL650ís - is there a difference in the model years? Did you make an offer on the new bike? I wouldnít pay asking price.

In general, I hate loans and canít think of the last time I had one (not counting the house ) 5 years is a long time Unless there is a good reason for a 2013 (model wise) I would sell your Buell and then look for a good used bike.
I've got my eye on a used bike, but it's half a world away. As far as the DL650s, they got a big upgrade in 2012. Fairing was changed, and is supposedly much more aerodynamic. Looking at Fuelly, pre-2012 models seem to average 51, with many getting higher, and many getting lower. Post 2012 sees averages closer to 55, with very few getting less than 51 and lots getting 56-60.

Here are the other 2012 changes
  • Fuel tank capacity reduced from 5.8 gallons to 5.3
  • Seat height raised from 32.3 to 32.9 inches
  • Internal transmission changes to reduce noise and boost low to midrange torque
  • Power increase from 63.5 horsepower and 41.2 lb-ft of torque to 66.2 horsepower and 43.0 lb-ft of torque
  • Rear suspension travel increased .4" to 6.3 inches
  • Redesigned instrument panel with trip counters as well as average mileage and ambient temp displays.
  • Reduction in GVW by 18 lbs

2012 was a complete redesign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Suzuki's extended warranty (SEP) is worthless, they will wiggle out of anything you ever need!
Very little ever goes wrong with DL650s, I'd ask for a discount instead of the warranty. I'd also spend some time riding the one you have (when the snow is gone) before you decide to buy another one.
Alright, I won't get the warranty then. I actually added that thinking that the warranty was a good deal. It'll save me $800 to skip the extra 5 years. Taking off around $15 a month. So $186.85 for 60 months.

As far as my comfort on the bike. I honestly love it. I have broken both of my wrists close to 10 times. I can't ride on my Buell for more than a couple hundred miles even with every vibration reducing thing without my wrists hurting. I rode the 2005 for 800 miles, without cramping. That's huge to me. I used to ride a friends DL1000, and I've always been a fan of the V-stroms, but I used to hate the way they looked. It grew on me. And the 2012+s look good in my opinion. The only other bike I've been considering is the F800GS... And as far as that goes, I'll have to pay this same exact price for a used one from 2009. But I'll have to pay interest on the loan.

As far as dealer discounts, they say they're not allowed to do any with the 0% deal. But I talked them into getting me a skid plate and center stand. If you don't already know, the Glee-Strom adventure model comes with metal adventure cases with locks, and even has a spare lock. Has two windshields, and already has crash bars mounted. The only modification I would have to do is add barkbusters and an ABS switch, since they're giving me a Givi skid plate.

I agree that 5 years is a long time, that's why with every extra penny I get, it'll go to paying it down. I'll throw the Buell's money as well as a couple scoots I have at it. That'll take 2 years off. And it's all principal because there's 0 interest. In all honesty, I hate loans. But this is an interest free loan to get a bike that I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014