ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #4216
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
Hah, I appreciate it all guys. Even though I'm young, I have a 740 credit score. I've been building my credit since I was eighteen, and doing it responsibly. I used to be a mortgage officer with a bank, so handling money has never been an issue for me. I also hate borrowing money, but 0% is an incredibly big draw. I've already calculated insurance. Since I've been with progressive for years, full coverage on a brand new motorcycle is $60 a month. That includes full msrp of a brand new bike in event of total loss. I have calculated that I need about $500 down to knock my monthly to $180. And I'll still be less than my medical debt has been. I also plan on paying it off sooner, so that I'm never upside down in value. I hope it all works out for me. With this loan under my belt, as long as I don't miss any payments, I'll be up to 780 within a year and a half. 0% and the credit building is the only reason I'm considering this so much.

As far as you guys saying used is the way to go, cash in hand. You're absolutely right. I completely admit that. But I love motorcycles more than anything, this is not only my favorite hobby, but it's my stress management, my transportation. I spent close to $2k on the green machine last year. All in all, this will be a cheaper hobby than it was, and it can do more and have more value when I'm done with it.

Thanks all for the advice. I'll try and negotiate some more. And I won't be afraid to walk away if it won't work out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #4217
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,819
You could get a cheaper hobby. My new quad copter.

Actually, it's not cheaper. I have close to $4k into all of my RC stuff.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #4218
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,819
Or if that's to small, you can go bigger.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #4219
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
You could get a cheaper hobby. My new quad copter.

Actually, it's not cheaper. I have close to $4k into all of my RC stuff.
Hah, I've got an old helicopter. I like my motorcycles better. ;)
Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #4220
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Now that we have EmptiMind's new bike all worked out don't forget to get a gift ready for tomorrow's re-gifting party.

I've been eyen' an old wiring harness I pulled off my 1150 after it caught on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
The Re-Gifting Party has been posted: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956629

Sure hope everyone's able to make it. There are some new people around and it would be nice to be able to put a face to the user names

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #4221
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Now that we have EmptiMind's new bike all worked out don't forget to get a gift ready for tomorrow's re-gifting party.

I've been eyen' an old wiring harness I pulled off my 1150 after it caught on fire
Haha, well. That's for all the advice guys! But, wasn't approved... The reason they gave?

I'd never taken out a large loan before. They wanted to see that I've had a loan of at least 6-8k. Since I pay for everything in cash, it doomed me. My revolving credit lines are only 2-3k. Not big enough for them.

So yeah. Good stuff, they didn't care that I have a 5 year credit history with 0 missed payments, or a 720-740 credit score between the bureaus. They wanted to see that I'd put myself in a lot of debt. I'll never understand how to get ahead in life... If I am not able to get an auto-loan and have it mostly paid before I apply for a mortgage, it'll be the same exact reason I'm denied.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #4222
kimel
I hit what?

Oddometer: 209
Find how much they would approve you for and pay cash for the difference. That work?
kimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #4223
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
Find how much they would approve you for and pay cash for the difference. That work?
Yeah, asked the loan guy that, and he didn't want to do the math, but he said basically it's a little less than double your greatest revolving account. So They'd only be willing to put down like 5.5k, which means I'd have to pay half up front.

So this whole ordeal has been a wash. But I got my eyes on a little TW200 at a decent price. I'll try again next year, and hope they have the 0% thing again. In the mean time, I'll try and get my credit limits increased.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #4224
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,603
Quote:

I might have a well used chain and sharp tooth sprocket laying around.

The options are endless. Maybe if we all bring our "gently" used parts we can build EmtiMind a motorcycle.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #4225
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I might have a well used chain and sharp tooth sprocket laying around.

The options are endless. Maybe if we all bring our "gently" used parts we can build EmtiMind a motorcycle.
I like that idea. Haha! For now, I'm going to try to get that TW200, and convince Rachael it's a real adventure bike, and just use her DL650. ;D Try and sell the Buell this summer, and as long as I can get what she's worth, I'll have a decent amount of money in my hot little hands to spend on a bike. Got a little over 2 grand in spending money laying around, so that plus the Buell money would get me a decent rig.

I also found a re-gift. Looking forward to some delicious nachos.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #4226
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Don't kid yourself to thinking a TW200 isn't an adventure bike because it is. If you don't believe me read the report for the ride to Baja we just did in Nov.: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940916 The TW would be a great bike for Rachael. The Strom might just be overwhelming for her as a new rider. When it comes to dirt I prefer my 200 over my 650 and I have no problem riding it cross country. It takes me longer to get where I'm going but it's a blast getting there.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #4227
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Don't kid yourself to thinking a TW200 isn't an adventure bike because it is. If you don't believe me read the report for the ride to Baja we just did in Nov.: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940916 The TW would be a great bike for Rachael. The Strom might just be overwhelming for her as a new rider. When it comes to dirt I prefer my 200 over my 650 and I have no problem riding it cross country. It takes me longer to get where I'm going but it's a blast getting there.
I honestly love the TWs, I've been hunting for one for about 5 years now, but no one is willing to sell them for under two grand, even for one from the 90s. As far as an adventure, I do believe they're more than capable. The touring might be the issue though. I'm afraid she'll be run over if we hit any highways. They top out around 55 don't they? If you re-gear it, what's the most you can get away with? I remember their first gear is more than powerful enough for a +1 up front. Think I'd be able to lose a couple teeth in the rear and get her up to 65? We do a memorial day camping trip up at Sheep Creek about 1 mile from Canada every year with a big group of our friends. I just want her to be able to take the highway without being rundown.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #4228
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Truthfully I think you need to let her take her motorcycle class and make her own decission on what bike will work best for her and what type of riding she wants to do. If she wants to ride pavement at 65+ mph the TW won't cut it at all. If she wants to do dirt she might feel a 650 is too much. When I met her she seem very apprehensive about riding a 650. The best way to ruin a woman for riding is to try to push your desires on her. Just my opinion and I might be way off.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #4229
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
I honestly love the TWs, I've been hunting for one for about 5 years now, but no one is willing to sell them for under two grand, even for one from the 90s. As far as an adventure, I do believe they're more than capable. The touring might be the issue though. I'm afraid she'll be run over if we hit any highways. They top out around 55 don't they? If you re-gear it, what's the most you can get away with? I remember their first gear is more than powerful enough for a +1 up front. Think I'd be able to lose a couple teeth in the rear and get her up to 65? We do a memorial day camping trip up at Sheep Creek about 1 mile from Canada every year with a big group of our friends. I just want her to be able to take the highway without being rundown.
It is unlikely that you will attain a higher speed on a TW with taller gearing. The bike doesn't have the power to pull it. I believe they will go 65 or so with stock gearing, eventually.
Consider an XT225 which has a six speed gearbox and normal tires and wheels that roll much easier and make for a far better handling bike. They will usually break the 70mph barrier with stock gearing.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #4230
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
The best way to ruin a woman for riding is to try to push your desires on her. Just my opinion and I might be way off.

Words of wisdom

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote