ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #4231
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Truthfully I think you need to let her take her motorcycle class and make her own decission on what bike will work best for her and what type of riding she wants to do. If she wants to ride pavement at 65+ mph the TW won't cut it at all. If she wants to do dirt she might feel a 650 is too much. When I met her she seem very apprehensive about riding a 650. The best way to ruin a woman for riding is to try to push your desires on her. Just my opinion and I might be way off.
Hah, I'm not the one pushing her to be honest, I want to put her on a T-dub. She picked out the V-strom on her own, she told me all about stuff she read saying it had smooth gear changes, and wasn't overpowered, making it a good bike for anyone to learn on, as long as they had the height. Since she's tall, and she seemed excited, I agreed to it. Still wanted to get her something smaller to begin with though. As far as her riding wants, she seems to want to do dirt roads, and camping more than anything. No extreme offroading, and no high speed twisties. We'll figure it out. Worst comes to worst, we'll get a TW for cheap, and I'll enjoy the hell out of it. No downside to us picking up a TW200 for cheap. Plus, if she doesn't like the Wee, I'll still ride the hell out of the thing, and we can always use the Buell money to find something she'll enjoy.

@lamotovita I'd really like an XT250/225, but that's not in the cards, been looking for a while and they're never as cheap as I think they should be. Bummer that we can't resprocket the TW to do 65 comfortably. Guess that means we get to take different roads than everyone else. I'm sure there's a way for me to get up north besides 395.

Cause yeah, for the first time in 5 years, I've found a TW200 in decent shape for around 1k. That's pretty much an instant purchase for me.
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #4232
Stephenmarklay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Stephenmarklay's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
It is unlikely that you will attain a higher speed on a TW with taller gearing. The bike doesn't have the power to pull it. I believe they will go 65 or so with stock gearing, eventually.
Consider an XT225 which has a six speed gearbox and normal tires and wheels that roll much easier and make for a far better handling bike. They will usually break the 70mph barrier with stock gearing.
This is accurate. I do find the TW sufficient around town and short stints on the highway. It will do 70 mph indicated which is about 65. It is winding out at that speed but will do so without protest.

The XT is faster and will handle that speed well. I do however find the TW to be extremely stable at high speed. More so than say my previous KLX250 or XT225.
Stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #4233
Roadglide
Riding since 1965
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Dalton Gardens Idaho
Oddometer: 28
I'm shocked at what people pay for m/c insurance. I have Progressive with full coverage on a newer Harley, KLR650, and liability on an older Yamaha Enduro and a 4 wheeler. I pay $250 per year. I live in Idaho and have a good driving record. Always pays to get new quotes every couple of years.
Roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #4234
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
This is accurate. I do find the TW sufficient around town and short stints on the highway. It will do 70 mph indicated which is about 65. It is winding out at that speed but will do so without protest.

The XT is faster and will handle that speed well. I do however find the TW to be extremely stable at high speed. More so than say my previous KLX250 or XT225.
Well, the girl weighs 120lbs wet. So I'm hoping that'll help the situation. Besides that one camping trip, we'll be destined for back roads, so I'm not worried about the top speed as much. It'll be our get around town bike, and our weekend warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadglide View Post
I'm shocked at what people pay for m/c insurance. I have Progressive with full coverage on a newer Harley, KLR650, and liability on an older Yamaha Enduro and a 4 wheeler. I pay $250 per year. I live in Idaho and have a good driving record. Always pays to get new quotes every couple of years.
Here I was thinking my rates were good. I pay about $30 a month for full coverage for the Buell, and this 2005 Wee is right around there as well. But they're both either $100 or $0 deductible with collision and comprehensive. Pretty sure collision is the expensive one. I can drop it down to like $1000 deductible and I'll be in the $20 range for each, but I like to have my bases covered. They won't do comprehensive unless there's a police report attached, as I found out when my Buell was vandalized. Of course, progressive offers a huge discount when you pay it off in one go, but I prefer my small monthly drain.

Do you also have cars through them? I'm curious to know what I can do to get mine lowered.
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #4235
Roadglide
Riding since 1965
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Dalton Gardens Idaho
Oddometer: 28
I have $500 collision and $100 comp on both. Also road side assistance. Don't have any other insurance with them.
Roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #4236
glassman64
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
Hah, I'm not the one pushing her to be honest, I want to put her on a T-dub. She picked out the V-strom on her own, she told me all about stuff she read saying it had smooth gear changes, and wasn't overpowered, making it a good bike for anyone to learn on, as long as they had the height. Since she's tall, and she seemed excited, I agreed to it. Still wanted to get her something smaller to begin with though. As far as her riding wants, she seems to want to do dirt roads, and camping more than anything. No extreme offroading, and no high speed twisties. We'll figure it out. Worst comes to worst, we'll get a TW for cheap, and I'll enjoy the hell out of it. No downside to us picking up a TW200 for cheap. Plus, if she doesn't like the Wee, I'll still ride the hell out of the thing, and we can always use the Buell money to find something she'll enjoy.

@lamotovita I'd really like an XT250/225, but that's not in the cards, been looking for a while and they're never as cheap as I think they should be. Bummer that we can't resprocket the TW to do 65 comfortably. Guess that means we get to take different roads than everyone else. I'm sure there's a way for me to get up north besides 395.

Cause yeah, for the first time in 5 years, I've found a TW200 in decent shape for around 1k. That's pretty much an instant purchase for me.
Hey John,
Nice to meet you at the regifting party.... even tho you broke my heart of taking home a new BMW for the weekend...... oh,,, and the first aid kit....
I went thru the same thing last year with Squirrel66...she wanted to ride more gravel,,, a lil pavement ,,, not affraid of doin a lil roughin it while campin.... so when she found a DR200 with really low miles... and a really good price i said "go for it".
Out together, me on my KLX250, and her on the DR200 will run down the pavement pretty good at 60...and has been a good bike for her.
Mostly anything in the 200 to 250 range will be a good choice for someone new. Pavement riding will depend on the persons comfort level,,, the lil bikes will get you there.
Its most important,,,,, what kind of rinding is intended...dirt/gravel,,, or pavement.
glassman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #4237
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman64 View Post
Hey John,
Nice to meet you at the regifting party.... even tho you broke my heart of taking home a new BMW for the weekend...... oh,,, and the first aid kit....
I went thru the same thing last year with Squirrel66...she wanted to ride more gravel,,, a lil pavement ,,, not affraid of doin a lil roughin it while campin.... so when she found a DR200 with really low miles... and a really good price i said "go for it".
Out together, me on my KLX250, and her on the DR200 will run down the pavement pretty good at 60...and has been a good bike for her.
Mostly anything in the 200 to 250 range will be a good choice for someone new. Pavement riding will depend on the persons comfort level,,, the lil bikes will get you there.
Its most important,,,,, what kind of rinding is intended...dirt/gravel,,, or pavement.
Hah, sorry about that. We really were out of Band-aids here, but mostly I didn't want to end up with the roadkill rodent.

As far as bikes go, I think as long as this seller is serious about selling his TW200 we can't go wrong. Even if she prefers street riding in the end, I'll still enjoy the hell out of the TW.
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #4238
glassman64
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
Hah, sorry about that. We really were out of Band-aids here, but mostly I didn't want to end up with the roadkill rodent.

As far as bikes go, I think as long as this seller is serious about selling his TW200 we can't go wrong. Even if she prefers street riding in the end, I'll still enjoy the hell out of the TW.
Sounds like a similar thing with Susi's DR200,,, low miles ,, great price. I told her that if she doesnt like the bike.. she can always get her money back on it.. Hopefully this Tdubb is the same way....Its a great bike,,,, for beginners or not.... Ive ridden one and it was a hellova lot of fun,,,,
If ya make it down to Wallowa,,, i will be sure to bring extra Band-Aids...
glassman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #4239
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,776
Boots

I've called a few shops in the area but none seem to carry SIDI Crossfires. Cyclegear had Alpinestars Tech 10s (forgot to check if they have Tech 7s.)

Anyone seen Crossfires in the area?
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #4240
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer
 
DoktorT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Chewelah, WA
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I've called a few shops in the area but none seem to carry SIDI Crossfires. Cyclegear had Alpinestars Tech 10s (forgot to check if they have Tech 7s.)

Anyone seen Crossfires in the area?
All you need do is go to the SIDI website and find the dealers in your area. Easy Squeezy.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #4241
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
All you need do is go to the SIDI website and find the dealers in your area. Easy Squeezy.
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #4242
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!
 
XR4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Post Falls, ID
Oddometer: 1,083
Lemonade Peak

I've been thinking about a variation on a group ride for this summer... Just wondering how many of you would be interested before I start planning.

There is a fire lookout on top of Lemonade Peak that I have tried 4 or 5 times now to make it up to - and failed, mostly because of poor time management on my part. And once because of Paul. I think he moved to Hong Kong out of shame. Hi Paul!


According to the maps, there are a few different ways to make it up there. I was thinking it would be neat if some of you DS/gravel road/light duty single track guys and gals would meet a few of us hardcore singletrack guys up at the lookout to trade a few stories from the day's trip and enjoy the view.

DS folks: To come in from the St. Joe River side (from Calder), most of the route is (trail or road?) #748, what should be a gravel road until it turns into what appears to be a mile and a half of well-worn easy ridgeline singletrack, trail #555. I've never been on those trails/roads to give any pointers, so plan accordingly. After the meet-up, you could keep heading north from Lemonade Peak and end up in Pine Creek/Pinehurst on logging roads. (If you go this route, you may want to pre-program a GPS; the last time I was in that area, I got lost in the maze of logging roads and had to ask a logging truck driver for directions.)

For the hardcore guys, we would be heading in from the north side, starting from Pinehurst, eventually making it to Pierce Ridge Trail, #563 that will take us up to Lemonade Peak from the east. If you would be interested in this, but want a shorter ride, you can get to the Pierce Ridge trailhead by car from the south, heading up #537 from the Calder area. (537 ends at the trailhead.) Pierce Ridge Trail is a real bastard... just know what you are signing up for. We would take all different trails home to keep it interesting.

This would have to be mid to late summer because of the one water crossing.... I can't imagine trying to cross it in snowmelt. I just figured I'd throw this out there to see what kind of interest it generates. In all reality, it would probably end poorly with one group finally giving up on waiting for the other group, but we'd end up with great stories, right?
__________________
I hate bear grass.

XR4EVER screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 11:10 AM
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #4243
Edwards
Gravel Eddie
 
Edwards's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Spokane
Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
I've been thinking about a variation on a group ride for this summer... Just wondering how many of you would be interested before I start planning.

There is a fire lookout on top of Lemonade Peak that I have tried 4 or 5 times now to make it up to - and failed, mostly because of poor time management on my part. And once because of Paul. I think he moved to Hong Kong out of shame. Hi Paul!


According to the maps, there are a few different ways to make it up there. I was thinking it would be neat if some of you DS/gravel road/light duty single track guys and gals would meet a few of us hardcore singletrack guys up at the lookout to trade a few stories from the day's trip and enjoy the view.

DS folks: To come in from the St. Joe River side (from Calder), most of the route is (trail or road?) #748, what should be a gravel road until it turns into what appears to be a mile and a half of well-worn easy ridgeline singletrack, trail #555. I've never been on those trails/roads to give any pointers, so plan accordingly. After the meet-up, you could keep heading north from Lemonade Peak and end up in Pine Creek/Pinehurst on logging roads. (If you go this route, you may want to pre-program a GPS; the last time I was in that area, I got lost in the maze of logging roads and had to ask a logging truck driver for directions.)

For the hardcore guys, we would be heading in from the north side, starting from Pinehurst, eventually making it to Pierce Ridge Trail, #563 that will take us up to Lemonade Peak from the east. If you would be interested in this, but want a shorter ride, you can get to the Pierce Ridge trailhead by car from the south, heading up #537 from the Calder area. (537 ends at the trailhead.) Pierce Ridge Trail is a real bastard... just know what you are signing up for. We would take all different trails home to keep it interesting.

This would have to be mid to late summer because of the one water crossing.... I can't imagine trying to cross it in snowmelt. I just figured I'd throw this out there to see what kind of interest it generates. In all reality, it would probably end poorly with one group finally giving up on waiting for the other group, but we'd end up with great stories, right?

This sounds familiar. Although I could be thinking of another ridge but I dont have my maps in front of me. I rode a ridge near Slate Saddle that took me to Bad Tom and it seemed like it headed towards Pinehurst? At any rate it was a beautiful area and great ride.

This sounds fun to me. I would have to decide which group to ride with.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #4244
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Whew, got a line on two different TW200s. I'm excited. Long as Rachael's comfortable on her bike by then, I think we'd be up for an adventure.
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #4245
godaddygo
drdude
 
godaddygo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Post Falls ID
Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
I've been thinking about a variation on a group ride for this summer... Just wondering how many of you would be interested before I start planning.

There is a fire lookout on top of Lemonade Peak that I have tried 4 or 5 times now to make it up to - and failed, mostly because of poor time management on my part. And once because of Paul. I think he moved to Hong Kong out of shame. Hi Paul!


According to the maps, there are a few different ways to make it up there. I was thinking it would be neat if some of you DS/gravel road/light duty single track guys and gals would meet a few of us hardcore singletrack guys up at the lookout to trade a few stories from the day's trip and enjoy the view.

DS folks: To come in from the St. Joe River side (from Calder), most of the route is (trail or road?) #748, what should be a gravel road until it turns into what appears to be a mile and a half of well-worn easy ridgeline singletrack, trail #555. I've never been on those trails/roads to give any pointers, so plan accordingly. After the meet-up, you could keep heading north from Lemonade Peak and end up in Pine Creek/Pinehurst on logging roads. (If you go this route, you may want to pre-program a GPS; the last time I was in that area, I got lost in the maze of logging roads and had to ask a logging truck driver for directions.)

For the hardcore guys, we would be heading in from the north side, starting from Pinehurst, eventually making it to Pierce Ridge Trail, #563 that will take us up to Lemonade Peak from the east. If you would be interested in this, but want a shorter ride, you can get to the Pierce Ridge trailhead by car from the south, heading up #537 from the Calder area. (537 ends at the trailhead.) Pierce Ridge Trail is a real bastard... just know what you are signing up for. We would take all different trails home to keep it interesting.

This would have to be mid to late summer because of the one water crossing.... I can't imagine trying to cross it in snowmelt. I just figured I'd throw this out there to see what kind of interest it generates. In all reality, it would probably end poorly with one group finally giving up on waiting for the other group, but we'd end up with great stories, right?
I am in on the easy part..I have seen what your call hard and that would be not fun on my DR-650...oh I have that promised vapor instrument ready for you...have the speedo and temp sensor and the price is right...I have your card and will give you a call. Sorry for the delay.
__________________
godaddygo!
godaddygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014