ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #4606
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Well, Dishman-Mica road is right there, and there's Chester Store which sells ethanol-free premium. Probably go that way and then south on Sands and after that, I haven't figgered it out yet.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #4607
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
Regardless, I'm still in. Feike and I have ridden most his "weekends" since the weather's been nice. He always picks a good route. I for one am really excited for this Sunday.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #4608
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Well, Dishman-Mica road is right there, and there's Chester Store which sells ethanol-free premium. Probably go that way and then south on Sands and after that, I haven't figgered it out yet.

Sounds good. I think I know where the Chester Store is. I am gonna shoot to be there by 0900 and top off. I'll be on a blue 950. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Phil
Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #4609
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,569
S on Sands? I haven't been south on Sands from Chester so I just looked at the map and all I see is it pretty much ends at the Chester Landfill. Then again that's looking at it on mapsource and there could be something there I don't know about.

I'll probably meet you at the gas station. I don't know if I will ride with you but I'll at least say hi.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #4610
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Well, since everyone seems to want to meet at the Chester Store, that's where I'll be, ready to go kickstands up at 9 AM. The Chester Store is at the intersection of Dishman-Mica and Bowdish.

I pick up Sands at the intersection just under the one-lane bridge, right off Dishman-Mica and Madison. Usually take it to Elder, since shortly after Elder the road ends (according to my maps) and returns after the creek to continue south to Valley Chapel road.

Scoutman, looking forward to meeting ya, and riding with you. I'm on a beat-up silver 9fiddy. Ladybug, it'd be nice of you joined us. I'll slow down (a bit), I promise . Besides, Emptimind tends to run a bit more moderate pace as well.

I'm hoping for a decent amount of water in the falls. I keep postponing this ride to do more "local" loops. I'm thinking it needs to happen now, before all the water's back in the Pacific.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #4611
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,569
I'm not going to make the ride today. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day for riding too.

Have a great time and take pictures.

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 06:48 PM
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #4612
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Well, the ride to Palouse Falls was just shy of epic. 250 (+/-) miles, great weather, very little wind and pretty light traffic. That is, until we got to the State Park there. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who had the idea to go to the falls on Easter.

That, and the Rangers were there ensuring everyone had their Discovery Pass. Needless to say, I now am the semi-proud owner of a year's pass.

All in all a great ride. Emptimind and I were joined by Scoutman (nice meeting ya!) and BGunn. Wish more of you could have made it. Pics to follow. I'm too burnt to upload them now. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #4613
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Ride good. Pictures:

Yay!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #4614
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,325
4/20/2014

Quote:
I'm too burnt to upload them now. Maybe tomorrow.

The 4:20 jokes just keep coming.

Great way to spend Easter today...Thanks for having me along

You never get a day off do ya ?

Bgunn screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 07:34 AM
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #4615
Scoutman
Master of Ale

It was a fun little trip. I wound up at about 340 miles for the day with the trip to Spokane and back. Thanks to Feike for the route planning and to everyone for letting me come along. It was good meeting all of you.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #4616
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Guess a real ride report is in order.

We all took kickstand up at 9 quite literally, and were all there by 8:50. Believe it or not, I was the first to arrive. About 5 minutes after me, Bgunn, then Feike and Scoutman. It was a KTM 950 party with me and my little Wee as the odd man out.

I'd had food poisoning the last two days, and had hives large enough that it made fitting my boots on my feet a task this particular morning, but I was still there! Scoutman left home when it was still in the 30s. So no excuses for you folks who missed out!

Feike started it off by telling us his approximate plan for the route. We all just nodded and said, "Okay!" Introductions to Scoutman, since the rest of us knew each other, then we were off. Sands to Elder to Valley Chapel, then I don't know the rest...

Looked something like that. Couple summer roads, good amount of very twisty pavement. Lots of fun.

Only one hiccup the entire way. The picture of Feike wrenching on Bgunn's 950 because his exhaust became loose and was making an awful racket. While we were on the side of the road a nice lady stopped by and asked if we needed assistance. Later that day, she made us all food. But that's later in the ride.

Not too long after the muffler mishap, we arrived in Palouse Falls Stat Park, where park rangers were there in force making sure you paid. All the KTM owners bought their Discover Passes, and I filled in the License plate number on mine. Stayed at the falls a little while, and marveled at it. Talked about the guy who took a Kayak over it. Saw a large squirrel. He sure wasn't afraid of us.

After contemplating the meaning of life, the universe and everything, we decided it was lunch time.

We headed back to Washtucna and ate at Sonny's? Not sure what the place was called, but it was about the only place you could eat in Washtucna. And that kind lady that stopped and offered assistance? She was the one behind the counter. We had a discussion about Hitler's birthday, Feike told some stories about Hawaii, Harley's and other humorous topics. We discussed the importance of insurance on rental cars, enjoyed our food, then moved on.

Fuel up, then ride home. We basically took the same route backward. Slight variance because my feet had become so swollen my boots were cutting off circulation to them. Scoutman split from us, then Bgunn took off. I just followed Feike through Valley Chappel, onto the Palouse Hwy, and wound up on Park and Sprague. Feike split by Winco, and I made my way home on Sprague from there.

Was a great ride with a good mix of summer roads and curvy pavement. The falls were terrific, with a ton of flowing water. To all of you who missed it, you missed a terrific ride!

Soon as I got home, I had to pop a couple benedryl and I was a zombie the rest of the day. My boot literally had a screw fall out of one of the buckles because my feet were swelling that much. Totally worth it.

Here, another picture of the falls. Kind of wish I brought my real camera.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #4617
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Emptimind summed it up well.

Here's a couple more pics-

The group at Chester's Store (notice one of these is not like the others....)

Rolling on Sands (I think)

A look at the cliffs lining the Falls "bowl"

And the river canyon going away from the Falls:

Great ride fellas. When I first came up with the route, BaseCamp said 152 miles, and 7 hours!

Took about 4 to get there. A bit less to return.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #4618
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Great ride fellas. When I first came up with the route, BaseCamp said 152 miles, and 7 hours!

Took about 4 to get there. A bit less to return.
Think it expects us to go 20 on the dirt, rather than 60... And you know, 50 on the slab, rather than 90...
Old 04-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #4619
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
Think it expects us to go 20 on the dirt, rather than 60... And you know, 50 on the slab, rather than 90...

They should really allow you to choose your pace when calculating a route. Perhaps an ADV Only model that lets you choose between:

1. Legal Beagle
2. A "Spirited" Pace
3. Wanton Disregard For All Posted Warnings and Speed Limits
Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #4620
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

At times, I would have had to peg our pace as somewhere between Wanton Disregard and Absolute Madness......

(I think you meant 90 in the dirt, and 110+ on the asphalt there, Emptimind!)