ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #4996
Dr. Hemlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
The only time I ever rode from Avery to St. Regis the road was closed right at the ID/MT state line. I think they plowed the Idaho side right up to the line where there was a big pile of snow and a road closed sign. We had no problem riding around the snow and the sign. It was early June of 2009.
I'll be returning from Bozeman next Sunday. Maybe we'll drive the Subaru from St. Regis to Avery rather than I-90...give it a look-see.

^^^This is the ID/MT border between Avery and St. Regis. There's a gravel road behind the sign on right side of pic I want to explore.

^^^Anybody ridden around in this area? Looking at this road on Google Earth, looks like some great camping/hiking/fishing opportunities.

It's NF-391 and pretty much follows the border.

What the hell am I asking...of course some of you have ridden this area. Probably a lot. Anyone care to share some info about this road/ride?
Dr. Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #4997
DrStrangeride
Let them Eat Roost

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
Those trails are well-hidden. I used to live out there and ride there all the time and they are new to me. Get off I-90 at Osburn and head north up 2-mile. Keep going straight and that rickety bridge in the video will be on your right (Beefcamp trail). Take a saw; I was really wishing I had.

Or, Trail 103 heads north from the quarry between 2-mile and Terror Gulch off of Patterson Rd. and eventually gets to the intersection of Beefcamp. There is actually a trail marker at the corner of the quarry.

The sun-lit snow levels are right at 5000' and I was finding snow in the shade as low as 3500' in the woods.

Thanks googling around now. Looks good----mostly S-facing slopes. Again thanks.
DrStrangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #4998
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNerd View Post
Hey.. I have been combing this thread for a while.. now that the weather is getting PERFECT, how come I don't see anything like a 'Wednesday Burger Ride' or 'Thursday Wing Run'? hess questions having been asked, would people actually be interested in meeting up once a week for a ride for dinner? or just a ride? Im tired of riding alone!!!
I'd be up for something like that on a semi regular basis... A guy has to ride and should eat on occasion too
Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #4999
scootersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thank you for letting me tag along on the Moon Pass ride. I had a great time. Nice to meet part on the Spokane ADVrider group. I hope to caught you guys again. Thank you Motomedic and A19 for posting the very nice pictures.
scootersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #5000
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Great pictures. Everyone sure was busy riding this weekend. Love to see that.

Smithe, congratulations on the new T bike.

Scoutman, good job on the flower. Everyone else missed the "take your time to enjoy the flowers" boat.

XR4Ever, you certainly need Junior back from China to go riding with you. Nice video.

I was out on pavement this weekend. The Yaak River is full and flowing hard.

And right over the falls.

I took the time to enjoy the flowers.

There wasn't any traffic on the road from Yaak, MT to Lake Koocanusa but there were a lot of pine needles.

This was easy to get through.

About a 1/2 mile later I found this one that at first looked like it would be easy to get through then I realized the track didn't go all the way through. The snow up ahead had no tracks and continued as far as I could see. I turned around, I'm not as brave as some of you adventurous souls.

Thompson Falls Pass was open with no problem.

And the pass between Avery and Wallace is open and looks like it has been for a while.

Spring is here and my backyard is full of lilacs.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #5001
Dr. Hemlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I was out on pavement this weekend. The Yaak River is full and flowing hard...There wasn't any traffic on the road from Yaak, MT to Lake Koocanusa but there were a lot of pine needles...About a 1/2 mile later I found this one that at first looked like it would be easy to get through then I realized the track didn't go all the way through. The snow up ahead had no tracks and continued as far as I could see. I turned around, I'm not as brave as some of you adventurous souls...Thompson Falls Pass was open with no problem...And the pass between Avery and Wallace is open and looks like it has been for a while...
This is all great info. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #5002
Dr. Hemlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
...I was out on pavement this weekend.
Were you riding solo, Ladybug?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #5003
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hemlock View Post
I'll be returning from Bozeman next Sunday. Maybe we'll drive the Subaru from St. Regis to Avery rather than I-90...give it a look-see.

^^^This is the ID/MT border between Avery and St. Regis. There's a gravel road behind the sign on right side of pic I want to explore.

^^^Anybody ridden around in this area? Looking at this road on Google Earth, looks like some great camping/hiking/fishing opportunities.

It's NF-391 and pretty much follows the border.

What the hell am I asking...of course some of you have ridden this area. Probably a lot. Anyone care to share some info about this road/ride?

That whole border road is a beautiful big-bike friendly ride. You can get on not far from Taft and ride down to the St. Joe road. Or further, someday I want to run it down to Lochsa Lodge. Lots of country above tree line, with some great views. There are also a bunch of little lakes on the Montana side you can look down on. Only thing is it's high and probably won't be open till late July. A few years back (bad snow year) I hit a 6 foot drift the last week of July. If you head that way, I recommend a detour over to Shefoot Mountain. Beautiful spot, with about a 1000 foot straight down (actually overhung!) drop! If we ever get around to claiming the tag-o-rama that's where I'm dropping it! We should get a group ride/campout going in that area later this summer.

Hey, if anyone is looking for something to do this weekend, the jet boat races are going on on the Joe. They run from St. Maries to Caulder, Saturday and Sunday. Patty and I are taking the camper down Sat night, will spend the night and head back Sunday night or Mon morning. Not sure where we'll set up camp, maybe just a wide spot on the old RR grade. The racers are impressive-they have some turbine boats hitting 140 mph. Makes us look sane.

Great pics Ladybug and Rick, looks like you had some good times riding. I was laid up with a cold all weekend. Getting to be an old wimp, used to be they didn't take me out like they do now.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 11:41 PM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #5004
Dr. Hemlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
That whole border road is a beautiful big-bike friendly ride. You can get on not far from Taft and ride down to the St. Joe road. Or further, someday I want to run it down to Lochsa Lodge. Lots of country above tree line, with some great views. There are also a bunch of little lakes on the Montana side you can look down on. Only thing is it's high and probably won't be open till late July. A few years back (bad snow year) I hit a 6 foot drift the last week of July. If you head that way, I recommend a detour over to Shefoot Mountain. Beautiful spot, with about a 1000 foot straight down (actually overhung!) drop! If we ever get around to claiming the tag-o-rama that's where I'm dropping it! We should get a group ride/campout going in that area later this summer....
Thanks. Sounds like perfect riding for me. Camping dirty and fly fishing some of those little lakes are on my wish list for this year.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #5005
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
...If you head that way, I recommend a detour over to Shefoot Mountain. Beautiful spot, with about a 1000 foot straight down (actually overhung!) drop! If we ever get around to claiming the tag-o-rama that's where I'm dropping it!...
If no one claims it before then, that Tag-o-Rama is mine come mid-July. If i remember correctly, it currently sits at Idaho Point, at the end of my nemesis Centennial Trail, that I WILL finish this year. (I hope no one takes the 'easy' way up before me!) IdahoRenegade, I'll lob you an easy one from there just so you can take it to that amazing cliff. I haven't been there in a looong time. I've had too much of a single-track mind (pun intended) to get back there in recent years.

Ladybug, it looks like you really racked up some miles over the weekend!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #5006
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Ceramic Coating For Exhaust?

So this last winter my bike went from this:

To this:

The rest of the bike looks good(thanks to a liberal application of ACF-50) but the exhaust didn't fare well. Anybody local do ceramic coating??

Thanks

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #5007
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:

Smithe, congratulations on the new T bike.

[/URL]
Thank you.

I would be up for an after work ride of a couple hours on a semi regular basis. I am off work at 330, home by 4, unless I ride into work, then I could head straight to wherever. I think I am going to swing by long lake dam on the way home from the base today.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #5008
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post
....Anybody local do ceramic coating??

Thanks

Pete
The last leads didn't pan out?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #5009
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
The last leads didn't pan out?
Couldn't get a hold of Lake City. After your reply, I tried harder with my "Google FU" and got a better phone number-(208) 664-9485. Gonna give them a try. I'm thinking the other number( 208-664-9516) might be a fax number?

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #5010
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post
Looks like you guys had a great day of riding!

Managed a bit of dirt road on my commute home today. Definitely would be better with a bit more tread and a little less air but was just fine.

You might think about the small 12 volt pump made by Slime that I bought at Walmart for about $15. Airing down takes less than a minute and airing up takes about 5 minutes. So, if I am riding in the dirt for more than a couple of miles, I run low pressure for the traction. Crashing sucks...
professorkx is offline   Reply With Quote