ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #841
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,800
A nature wash for the bike and a boot cleaning all at the same time.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #842
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutman View Post
Camping is out for me as I only have a day pass. I don't really have a route in mind, though I had previously thought about up to Thompson Falls and over the hill, then try to figure out a way down to the river from there? I am game for anything really. Basically just want to do a longer shake down run so I can figure out what needs to be done over the winter. I am just running the scorpions that were on the 950 when I bought it, so that rules out anything too terribly gnarly, You have any ideas??
When I get home on Monday I'll look at the maps and post an idea for those of us up north.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #843
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by big jer View Post
hey, airhead remember last year
Yep, I've only learned a few things in my long life but one of them is that a small light bike is easier to pick up than a big fast heavy bike.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #844
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutman View Post
Camping is out for me as I only have a day pass. I don't really have a route in mind, though I had previously thought about up to Thompson Falls and over the hill, then try to figure out a way down to the river from there? I am game for anything really. Basically just want to do a longer shake down run so I can figure out what needs to be done over the winter. I am just running the scorpions that were on the 950 when I bought it, so that rules out anything too terribly gnarly, You have any ideas??
Here's an option for you. If you head over Thompson Pass, turn south when you get to Murray. That's Kings Pass, and will take you into Wallace. IIRC you can pick either a paved or part gravel route. From Wallace, on something the size of the 950, I'd recommend Slate Creek. No matter how you go, you're on gravel. Head south on Moon Pass road. Go about 5 miles, IIRC, you're looking for the first right after you hit gravel. It's shortly after you hit an open, untreed section. Go about 3-4 miles and it will take you to Slate Creek Saddle. There is some rocky road getting there, but it's all embedded, not a lot of loose stuff. At the saddle, go south, you bear to the right. DO NOT take the trail that's a hard right (it's looking back where you came from), that's trail 16, and I wouldn't call it big-bike friendly. Slate Creek road takes you down to the St. Joe. It's a pretty ride, and easy. IIRC there are 3 mild dips/water crossings along the road. At the river road, if you cross the road, there is a bridge that takes you over to the far side of the river, there is a good gravel road there. This will be at about mile 42 or so. Head down river, the Big Eddy will be somewhere around mile 20.

I'd recommend Latour Creek (FS 50) on the way back. It's a cool ride! You hit it at about the 10 mile mark, it's signed as a route to Cataldo. This has quite a few loose rocks, it could be interesting on a 950. But given that you're a better rider than me, I doubt it will be an issue. It wasn't for me on the DR.

Let me know if you have a GPS, I can shoot you tracks.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 08-14-2011 at 09:41 PM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #845
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 250
Does anyone know if Freezeout or breezy are clear of snow yet?
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #846
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards View Post
Does anyone know if Freezeout or breezy are clear of snow yet?
I ran into 6' drifts on Breezy 2 weeks ago. No idea about now.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #847
moto-treks
Back Home

Selkirks Adventure Rally

Just returned from the Selkirks Adventure Rally. Totally awesome event

Looks Fun!!

Roughing-it in a Yurt

While the others tented

Moto-Treks
Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #848
PNW Buttercup OP
Dancing with dirt roads..

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Boy View Post
In case anybody local needs a ADV bike all setup: I have an '06 Vstrom for sale: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715537

Thanks, BB
Straight trade for a 09 KLX 250, 2300 miles? A few scratches... but still in fine shape?

... wow, did you hear that collective gasp?
PNW Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #849
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Here's an option for you. If you head over Thompson Pass, turn south when you get to Murray. That's Kings Pass, and will take you into Wallace. IIRC you can pick either a paved or part gravel route. From Wallace, on something the size of the 950, I'd recommend Slate Creek. No matter how you go, you're on gravel. Head south on Moon Pass road. Go about 5 miles, IIRC, you're looking for the first right after you hit gravel. It's shortly after you hit an open, untreed section. Go about 3-4 miles and it will take you to Slate Creek Saddle. There is some rocky road getting there, but it's all embedded, not a lot of loose stuff. At the saddle, go south, you bear to the right. DO NOT take the trail that's a hard right (it's looking back where you came from), that's trail 16, and I wouldn't call it big-bike friendly. Slate Creek road takes you down to the St. Joe. It's a pretty ride, and easy. IIRC there are 3 mild dips/water crossings along the road. At the river road, if you cross the road, there is a bridge that takes you over to the far side of the river, there is a good gravel road there. This will be at about mile 42 or so. Head down river, the Big Eddy will be somewhere around mile 20.

I'd recommend Latour Creek (FS 50) on the way back. It's a cool ride! You hit it at about the 10 mile mark, it's signed as a route to Cataldo. This has quite a few loose rocks, it could be interesting on a 950. But given that you're a better rider than me, I doubt it will be an issue. It wasn't for me on the DR.

Holy Crap, that sounds like a blast. Thanks IR, we definitely need to hook up before too long. Things are going poorly with the remodel, so I am back on the fence until I can see how the rest of the week goes for after work progress. As a life long carpenter, I am well aware that the level and square have been around since the egyptians at least. Funny, they didn't see the need to use them on this old house
Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #850
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Scoutman, let me know if you decide to go Sat, I may make the trip. Shouldn't due to a committment I have for Sunday, but what the heck. From Priest River that route we were talking about would be a long day...nearly 200 miles just to Avery. It would be shorter to head south at Clark Fork and catch the N Fork of the CDA river. I can't get google maps to auto route it though.

Moto-treks, that look like a great ride with Black Dog. Did you run the 278 along the south side of the lake?

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 10:04 PM
Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #851
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:

This is close to what I was thinking but I was going to add the east side of Pend Oreille too. However, it is a long day 250+ miles.

Quote:
Scoutman, let me know if you decide to go Sat, I may make the trip. Shouldn't due to a committment I have for Sunday, but what the heck. From Priest River that route we were talking about would be a long day...nearly 200 miles just to Avery. It would be shorter to head south at Clark Fork and catch the N Fork of the CDA river. I can't get google maps to auto route it though.

Moto-treks, that look like a great ride with Black Dog. Did you run the 278 along the south side of the lake?
Yup, 278. You have some GPS tracks south of Wallace?

Moto-Treks
Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #852
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post

Yup, 278. You have some GPS tracks south of Wallace?
I've got quite a few in that area. We've played there for years with the quads, now with the bike. Any in particular you'd like?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #853
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Well the healing up is not going as quickly as I had hoped. In fact I have had more pain the last two days then I have since the “incident” over two weeks ago.

I was really looking forward to this but as of now my status is “on the fence” at best.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine

Alpha One Nine screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 05:03 PM
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #854
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,966
Ouch!

Rick,

sorry to her you're not mending as quickly as hoped for. I've been seeing both a chiropractor and physical therapist and am slowly improving. Summer results so far: Bike 3, Dale 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
Well the healing up is not going as quickly as I had hoped. In fact I have had more pain the last two days then I have since the “incident” over two weeks ago.

I was really looking forward to this but as of now my status is “on the fence” at best.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #855
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post

Sorry to hear about that Rick. My wrist and shoulder are only about 75% after a couple months. Man, this gettin' old sucks, takes far longer to heal than when I was 20.