ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #916
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,396
I just got home. Had a good time.

There was a good turn out. There were a few new people that showed up and Allan even rode over from the Portland area for the meetup.

This morning I ran across Rainbow007 & Airhead Bruce as I was headed for home. The three of us came up with a plan for the 3rd weekend of Sept. I post a thread about it a little later today.

As far as pictures go, I took some but they are sitting safely in my camera. I'll see what I came up with and get them post a little later too.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #917
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 473
Becky got kinda tired out on the trail today,
Attached Images

2008 Yamaha Zuma
airheadbruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #918
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Dang, that's not like her.

Good catch Bruce.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #919
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

She's gonna return the favor any minute I bet! Kinda hard to deny with photo evidence.
2008 Yamaha Zuma
Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #920
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
Becky and I appear to have similar riding styles.

Ok, so for next weekends first annual "Spokane/CDA ADVer DS Dirt refresher", what day works better, Saturday or Sunday?

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #921
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,868
Well I made it home safe, it was a long hot ride but it was nice to see an old friend and meet some new folks. This is the only image I have the energy to post today, maybe I will put a RR with the rest.

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #922
Rainbow007
Boldly going Nowhere

Oddometer: 268
And they say you can not train a MC to lay in your lap
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
04 CRF230
11 DR650
Rainbow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #923
Rainbow007
Boldly going Nowhere

Oddometer: 268
AirHeadBruce

Bruce wanted to see what his MC looked like on it side
04 CRF230
11 DR650
Rainbow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #924
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Looks like you guys had fun! Where were the dirt naps?

I just got home from and ATV ride from Pack River to Roman Nose. Great ride and great company. I had one minor issue. Seems like when the snowmobile guys come out and start cutting trees for the groomer to get over, they cut them off at snow level...not ground level. I clipped one about 1 1/2 foot tall, hiding in a thimbleberry bush on the trail today. A touch sore but not bad. See, I can wreck on 4 wheels too!
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #925
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Allan, are you calling me old again? That's a beautiful picture and will probably become my desk top at work for a while. The mountain goat from Hells Canyon is hanging out there now but it's time for a fresh view.

Rainbow007 and Airheadbruce, it looks like it was a good thing I didn't go with you. The Superbug had enough naps Saturday.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #926
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Ok, so for next weekends first annual "Spokane/CDA ADVer DS Dirt refresher", what day works better, Saturday or Sunday?
I'm good for either one. It will be nice to practice in a controlled environment where there are better riders to offer advice. Or at least they can have a good laugh. Will this be a camera-free event?
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #927
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,883
Incredible shot!

Really like the eagle (?) floating in the clouds. You are an incredible photographer Allen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
Well I made it home safe, it was a long hot ride but it was nice to see an old friend and meet some new folks. This is the only image I have the energy to post today, maybe I will put a RR with the rest.

I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #928
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

It was a little chilly at 7:00 am when I headed to the Snakepit for breakfast.

No matter how many times I ride passed CdA Lake I never get tired of the view.

The sun was shining so it was going to get warmer.

Mmmmmmm motorcycles

We had breakfast here. Stories were told including one from someone who stayed upstairs while he worked in that area years ago. He said the bed warmers were still available but cost extra.

This was being taken up to Murray to be in a parade there. Itís a bicycle built for 6 being used by the Shriners. The man who owns it talked with us for a few minutes and explained the front end and back end were from an Indian. He also said there are two of these in the United States. It doesnít go up hill and it sure looks like a challenge to ride. The owner said all the balancing is done by the lead rider.

Look closely you can see the brake lever.

Moto Trek and his buddy Gary headed toward the top of Thompson Pass, back to Wallace then to the Big Eddy. I followed these guys along Latour Creek Rd.

It was a tad dusky and it just hung there. At least I knew I was still behind the guys.

Even though itís clear cuts and there is a lot controversy around the practice I found this view fascinating.

And we're off again

Yo, Kootenai Rider! Look who I got to ride with - - - Dr. Strangeride and his friend Allan (sp?)

You can't tell but in the above picture Fred (Dr. Strangeride) was taking off the garbage bag he was wearing for a little added warmth. Yes, that works and yes, I have done that too.

I loved the views.

And the flowers

If you are energetic you can use this trail to hike two miles to Crystal Lake. I imagine the lake is incredible. Iíve hiked to a few alpine lakes in ID & MT and they were worth the hike even though those hikes about did me in.

Next we cut off on Baldy road, which took us down to about 8 miles east of St. Maries on NF50 (the paved road that runs along the St. Joe River). I liked this road.

Thereís the St. Joe River down there.

We showed up at the Big Eddy and enjoyed lunch as more and more people showed up. I neglected to get pictures and I donít think anyone else got any either. I guess it didnít happen.

Dr. Strangerid,e thanks for lunch and thank you and Allan for taking me on a fun ride to get there. I hadnít been on that road, it was fun and I loved the views. You guys are terrific sports to slow down and keep me company.

My buddy Allan (Loud Al) from the Portland area showed up and we decided things were too busy at the Big Eddy this weekend to camp there so we decided to head down Marble Creek to camp. We were also trying to get him a few miles closer to home for his ride the next day. He had about 450 miles to get home.

Before we headed out to find a campsite we had to go to Avery for ice cream. It didnít sound like anyone else was going to join us for ice cream but shortly after we got there Alpha One Nine and his friend showed upĖ I forgot his name and I missed getting him in the picture. I did get a shot of Alpha One Nine with his best gal sporting her new shoes. Doesnít she look spiffy in those new dancing shoes?

Had to get this for Pickleís GoPostal thread. This post office is being looked at for closure this year. I hope it doesnít close. The building has the post office, a library, and a museum.

Thereís an old railroad car there thatís interesting to go into. There are photos and newspaper articles on the tables.

The railroad car is part of the museum.

We headed down Marble Creek.

It was a nice road for a while. It started when Allan asked if we should go left or right. Right I say, very confident that I knew where I was going. Well, I knew where I was going to get to the Lines Creek Historic Trail and I thought Camp 3 was on the same road. It isnít. Allan spotted one place we could camp and it was nice but he looked at his bench mark and determined we were only about a mile from a turn that would get us to the road we should have been on and then only 2 or 3 miles more to Camp 3. We decided since it was so close we would go there and if it was full we could always come back. Sounded like a good plan.

We went down a wrong road and had to turn around and go back and take a different road, actually more like an ATV trail which started off OK but kept getting worse and worse. As I watch Allan riding his Dakar with street tires negotiating the trails like a skilled dancer I kept telling myself ďif he can do it on that bike with street tires I can certainly do it on the Superbug with knobbiesĒ. A few minutes later, crash, time for a dirt nap. Ah crap! Luckily Allan wasnít too far ahead, saw I was on the ground and came back and helped. There was a pretty nasty area ahead so he took the Superbug through the rutted slime bog for me, giggling saying riding that bike through that was a piece of cake. Compared to the Dakar Iím sure it was, for him.

I got back on the bike and it wasnít long until I hit the ground again. Dang, this isnít the way this is supposed to work. Again Allan came back and helped me. We were in a forest with dense foliage, it was humid and I was sweating. Women aren't supposed to sweat, whatís with this? I was soaked, sweat was running down my face, into my eyes, fogging my glasses, down my back and it was just plain yucky.

Allan decided to walk ahead and see if it was going to get worse and if we were about to hit a main road. He wasnít gone long and came back and said it was only about a mile further and the trail drops right into the campground but itís full. The full campground didnít bother me because I knew once we got there we could get back on a main road and go find camping.

At this point the trail was rutted, slimy, steep and rocky - - - And Iím no Rocky so I wasnít doing well. I wasnít doing well at all and tweaked myself out, froze up and couldn't ride a simple area much less the more difficult stuff. It was something I should have been able to do but I whimped out. I was frustrated and embarrassed Allan tried to help me get through it but it wasnít working. He took the bike down a ways for me to get it to an easier area and even with that the best I could do was duck walk it. Thank goodness he was patient with me even though he was frustrated that I wasnít doing what he knew I could do and things heís seen me do.

Finally we dropped down to the campground just at dusk. Where we came out was right next to a camp with some ATVers that were surprised to see us come out of the trail. The lady asked how many times I went over. I told her and she chuckled and explained they had come down it earlier and she was on her side a couple times too and she was on an ATV. Misery loves company and that made me feel a little better.

There were some other people there that had their car parked at a campsite and they told us they werenít staying and moved their car so we could set up camp.

Once camp was set up we joined the ATV camp and visited with them enjoying their campfire for a while. They were very nice folks and very interesting to talk with.

After a good nights sleep we packed up and got ready to go. The inside of my helmet was still wet from sweat and so was my jacket, yuck. That made for an even chillier ride.

We headed out. Allan would head south to Clarkia and I headed North to the St. Joe River. Thanks for spending time with me and helping down the trail, it was great seeing you and youíre always so good to me. Bye Allan

I headed toward the St. Joe, it was cold but pretty out there.

When I got to NF50 I decided to head to St. Maries for breakfast and as I was happily riding I saw two small dual sport bikes headed the other way. I thought it looked like Airhead Bruce and Rainbow007 but I decided naw, it would be too early, it was before 8:00 am.

Shortly after that I saw a deer on the right side of the road looking across the road and I started to slow down just as I notice another deer off to the left that shot out across the road. I really slammed on the brakes then and got it slowed down but still clipped the deerís hind leg. I had a tight enough grip on the handle bars, it made me do a swerve but I didnít go down and the deer kept going. Hit and run!

Just as I was starting to speed back up, a bit shaken, OK scared half to death, I looked in my rear view mirror to see a grinning Airhead Bruce behind me. The first pull out I spotted I pulled over and visited with Airhead Bruce and Rainbow007 for a while. They were headed to Marble Creek to come see Allan and I where we were camped but the were way too late to catch us at camp. Iím glad they turned around because I needed to get off the bike for a few minutes anyway. While we were there visiting we came up with idea of something to do next month. Iíll start a thread for that probably tomorrow.

Airhead Bruce

Rainbow007

I donít know why half of her googles are black, they werenít really that way.

I stopped to get this post office for Pickle.

Right after that I had a car try to hit me, actually he was trying not to hit me after he tried to shoot across the road from one gas station to another. There was one of those big price signs on the corner and I suspect that blocked his view from seeing me. I slammed on my brakes and he slammed on his brakes. Those knobbies get squiggly on pavement when slamming on the brakes. We didnít collide so all was good and he rolled down his window and apologized.

I sure was glad to be home when I got here, first thing was a shower to get rid of all the sweat and stink from the day before. I sure didnít look or smell very girlie. Then I unpacked the Superbug and hosed the majority of dust and mud off. I found some new scratches on the handguard. I sure am glad to have those.

I don't know what I'm going to do next weekend but I sure hope it's less drama filled.

Tonight Iím stiff, sore, and bruised I must have had a good time.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #929
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow007 View Post

Bruce wanted to see what his MC looked like on it side
When a man needs a nap, a man needs a nap.......... thanks becky for hurrying over to help....
2008 Yamaha Zuma
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #930
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
Looks like you all had a great time.

sector is offline   Reply With Quote