Cheers !
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #32
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,610
Day 22 - Thursday the 16th September - was a ride from Aubern to Old Town, lovely riding, hot...it's been hot since I landed with the exception of when it wasn't...Old Town is..well, it's 1 motel, 1 bar, 2 rednecks and I got a face full of hick booby...so that was all right. Next day I moved on to...oh....I forgot it had the river that inspired a song...the Suwanee (sp?)...it were a perty rivah.

Also hit another state and. for once, I saw the sign...

Day 23 - Friday the 17th September - Old Town to Fort Myers - remember the guy I mentioned earlier...the one who flagged me down in Houston? well he's got a buddy...chris, in Fort Myers...so up we met, and Chris very kindly gave me a tour of Fort Myers and Hooters (us Europeans can't do Hooters like the yanks can). A good night, and the top of the keys.

Here's what Hooters should look like...I figured most, if not all, of you, woudn't object to one non-Goose picture...
Woman+Beer=I asked her to marry me..

Day 24 - saturday the 18th September - Fort Myers to Key West - being "wise" I prebooked into a KoA, booked $54 for the pleasure...no worries as I saw the KoA run a shuttle service into Key West (the KoA is some 15 miles north). Ran the keys from Fort Myers to Key West, hit the southern most point,

rode to the KoA. So yes, they do a shuttle service...once a day, leaving at 10:30 (ish) and coming back ...later..a taxi will run me some $50 or $60 so I told...each way...Doh!! I can only hope that Key West motel would run me more than $170 or..or...or...grrrr!! still..laundry done...time to head into town,.
Tomorrow I head north...oh!! woot woot woot! The Goose has now hit the southerly most point of the trip :)

Just done some math and I reckon I still have 5 days in hand...am wondering if I can make it to Maine..

Metrics
States 18 - Michegan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, California, Arizona, Colorada, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida.
Distance covered (according to mapsource) - 8462 miles (Toronto to Key West).
Encounters with "the man" - 1 - speeding ticket (78mph in a 65) in South Dakota - cost $125.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard

catweasel67 screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 01:53 PM
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #33
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

g'day from KoA Daytona....am headed into the tiown in a couple of hours for beer and food...if anyone fancies joining me, drop me a PM.

Does anyone have any bar recommendations btw? for Daytona Beach
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard

catweasel67 screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 04:52 PM
Old 09-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #34
Burbs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Awesome report!

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on New England. The leaves are turning up here so you should get some gorgeous scenery while riding.

Chris
Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #35
StewartR
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Greetings from Blighty bro!

I take it you've not been stung on the gonads by a wasp this time out?

Back a page or two to Rockaway Beach, the Ramones song is about the one in Long Island. Get yourself there and tick another one of those boxes you didn't know needed ticking. If you make NYC, Guy suggests you make for Coney Island - see if the Warriors will come out and play.
StewartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #36
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

doh!! well..at least it gives me a location in NY to ride to. Stupid Ramones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartR
Greetings from Blighty bro!

I take it you've not been stung on the gonads by a wasp this time out?

Back a page or two to Rockaway Beach, the Ramones song is about the one in Long Island. Get yourself there and tick another one of those boxes you didn't know needed ticking. If you make NYC, Guy suggests you make for Coney Island - see if the Warriors will come out and play.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #37
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

Day 25 - Sunday the 19th September -Key West to Daytona Beach..am staying at the KoA...this time it's $20 not $60 and the taxi into civilisation was only $20 (each way). I'm no longer listening to music, instead I have switched to audio books so I drove up Florida today listening to Harry battle Tom. I have to admit that I used the turnpike all day as I wanted to spend the night at Daytona. Was fairly tired all day as last night was later than anticipated - I bumped into a poker run so Key West was full of bikers, babes and bands (but not one singe goose did I see).

My 5 days in hand that I thought I had have disappeared...I want to arrive in Toronto sometime on the 28th so I can deal with shipping hassles on the 29th and fly on the 30th..so that's taken 2 days. I want to keep 2 days in hand in case of emergencies or shaggin' and I'm gonna visit a friend in Bowie....so..all in all....my next few days (these are over-night stops) run thus...Daytona - Jesup - Ashville - Roanoke - Bowie - Bethal - Punxsutany - Toronto.

Am very much not liking having to prepay most of my fuel...a right royal pain in the arse. Everything else kinda rocks though.

PS; I checked hotel prices in Key West via the taxi driver and they seem to start at $125 but the Poker Run had filled the town so it turned out I'd chosen the most "cost effective" option.

PPS: I think I have fucked my guitar - nigh on a month and I suspect it's warped...still a good practice guitar (better than nothing) but still bugger!!
PPPS: finger still buggered...reckon it's infected...mainly due to the redness and swelling...bugger bugger. Still..have hope that change in altitude will cure :)

Day 26th - Monday the 20th September - Daytona to Greenwood, South Carolina. Seems like today was the first day since Eldorado that I've taken the Goose around a corner. Still perty darn hot mind you, saw 34c today but that's 10c lower than Hoover Dam and the Goose....she was a cruisin'. My initial route was to run from Daytona to Jesup...a tad under 300 miles but in the end I ended up in Greenwood so I can tick off another couple of states. After a bit of hassle in Greenwood I found an open motel who recommended an English bar so...here I am..Orde's of England. No WiFi of course...but it's nice and I'm diggin' the SC accent.

Right now I am looking ahead to New York and trying to work out if I can get from Bowie to Ground Zero to Rockaway Beach (NYC..cos doh!! how was I to know that the Ramones meant the long island one not the one in San Fran...) and then back out again or if I should cave in to the inevitable and book and NYC hotel. Advice appreciated.

Metrics
States 18 - Michegan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, California, Arizona, Colorada, New
Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina.
Distance covered (according to mapsource) - 9240 miles (Toronto to Greenwood).
Encounters with "the man" - 1 - speeding ticket (78mph in a 65) in South Dakota - cost $125.

catweasel67 screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 11:06 PM
Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #38
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

Day 27 - Tuesday the 21st September - rode up from Greenwood today, finished in Roanoke having ridden some of the Blue Ridgeway - awesome riding - shaded, twisty, the first day in bloody ages where it stayed under 30c.

One wee concern that I'm having right now is that the front wheel (I think) howls when I lean the Goose. The taxi guy that drove me to Hooters reckons it might just be the front wheel bearings. Either way I'll keep my fingers crossed that it holds on until I get the bike back to Vienna (less than 2000 miles).

I have a new plan, and it's cunning. Tomorrow I head to Bowie and then onto NYC where I hope to find a motel in or near Rockaway Beach. Then I'll head on out to Bethal and then onto Punxsutawny. I will be visiting Ground Zero to pay my respects, I kinda hope the Goose can come along.

Tomorrow I hit the 10k mile marker, drink a beer with a mate I've not seen in over 10 years and get within 1 day of New York City. It's also..sadly, my penultimate date of heading east and north. After NYC it's gonna be westward bound again. I don't really want to stop. Part of me does, a larger part of me wants to head down south to Mexico but...that's gonna have to be another year.

Metrics
States 18 - Michegan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, California, Arizona, Colorada, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina. North Carolina (I think), Virginia.
Distance covered (according to mapsource) - 9733 miles (Toronto to Roanoke).

catweasel67 screwed with this post 10-18-2010 at 12:51 PM
Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #39
Burbs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #40
Badger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Bowie? Like in Bowie Maryland?

Honey Badger Don't Give a Shit
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #41
sergeibelski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Great adventures!!!
sergeibelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #42
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Bowie? Like in Bowie Maryland?
Yep :)

Today am headed to Manhatten where I am staying at the Chelsea. Anyone fancy showing a NYC newb around tonight? or make bar recommendations?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #43
Jeff Opunx
Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer: 40
Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #44
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

Day 28 - Wednesday the 22nd September - Roanoke to Bowie - am writing this as I sit in Brighton, sadly too much beer has passed through me since then but, whilst the riding was, I think, pretty darned good, the highlight of the day was meeting Steve and his wife and watching some bloody good local jazz. Ahh! I recall something now..for some reason I rode right through the centre of Washington, right beside the National Monumenent and up Pensylvannia Avenue.

My sat nav (a garmin 660), rock steady and accurate to 10ft the whole journey suddenly turned very vague on me. Am wondering if this could be some security measure. I had the same problem in NYC.

Day 29 - Thursday the 23rd September - Bowie to New York - as mentioned above I'm writing this section from Brighton but, even as I type, I easily recall the sense of achievment that had me grinning, shouting, whooping even, as I rode into the "Big Apple".

Got through to Rockaway Beach (although the sat nav was less than idiot proof), paddled in the Atlantic thus completing the "Rockaway Beach to Rockaway Beach the bloody long way round" portion of my ride. Got very wet, sandy boots.

Made my way back into Mahatten where I stayed at the Chelsea on West 23rd. An amazingly atmospheric hotel (Leonard Cohen & Sid Vicious stayed & stabbed here) and the staff were really helpful. Expensive though but worth it.

Paid my respects at Ground Zero.

Spent the evening at Hogs and Heifers (a sad little bar IMO) and Coyote Ugly (a sad little smelly bar IMO) but met some cool people who changed my mind on the route to Toronto. I'd been contemplating the over or under (Lake Ontario) route and one of the guys I met recommended the riding from NYC at least as far as Attica. I was headed to Bethal anyway so...off I went.

Day 30 - Friday the 24th September - NYC to Richfield Springs -

(it's possible that this pic is a day early..)

my original plan was to drive as far as Bethal (Woodstock) and then chill but epic fail. For some reason I just couldn't find the site or the museum (and the garmin was useless). I did however have one of the best steak sandwiches I've ever had. Putting failure behind me I rode onto Richfield Spings (attracted by visions of hot Amish chicks - have you seen Witness?). The KoA here was perty, with no Amish..or bar....or eatery within walking distance. I rode out and that's when I realised that somewhere between then (no idea) and now (the 24th) my main beam bulb had blown. Faced with a choice of riding in the dark or not eating I did the only sensible thing.

The hamburger was yummy and I saw an Amish chick..but not the hot one. Alas!!

Day 32 Saturday the 25th September - Greetings from Brighton, Ontario. Arrived at the KoA a few hours ago, laundered and then headed into town (the KoA owner drove me down...it's a ways) and I'm now quaffing beer at the Legion. Moved on now....am in Vitos for some grub.
Some cold riding today...cold being a relative term of course, the Goose saw 14c and I rolled down my sleeves and got on with it.
Today's riding was sweet - the country side, the feeling (again) of achievement - I left Canada some 32 days ago and here I was, re-entering, having ridden almost 11,000 miles on my Goose. I am more attached to her than ever and whilst I acknowledge there are better role specific bikes, the Goose and I are joined.

The last picture I took...

The border guard told me she'd never seen, or heard of, a foreign plated bike cross this border. She was cute :)

And now, here I am, 100 miles away from handing my bike to the shippers. She's battered, she's bruised, but she's solid and once I've given her some TLC in Vienna she'll be ready for more. I have, btw, ridden through two service intervals so she's well beyond tolerance with nary a complaint (well..hardly nary).
Hmmm...just been reading my own blog...or ride report...and it's, for me, very evocotive. If I have one piece of nostalgic wisdom to pass along it's "keep a diary".
My overwhelming impression, memory, takeaway....call it what you will, is of the incredible hospitality of the North Americans. Because of these two nations I, a single bloke, felt, and feel, confident to recommend the real North America to the single bloke traveller. Just take off, do it. Every night held its own appeal, some were noisy and raucous, others were quiet and talkative, still others allowed me to gaze at the sky - free from polution (it's not often I see the Milky Way) and almost every day held strong emotions - most of them simple joy.

Day 33 - Sunday the 26th September. Brighton to Toronto. Well, I'm "back". I'd hoped to be able to hand the bike over to Swissport for shipping today and hop an earlier flight back to Vienna but they've not received the booking number from Motorcycleexpress so here I am, at the Comfort Inn for one, maybe two days. The delay, if that's what you want to call it, is of my own making so I'm not really too bothered. My plan was always to hold a few days in contingency and to arrive back in Toronto on the 28th so here I am. I suspect I may be too lazy to haul my arse into town but I'll see.
Just one more "leg" left now, to ride from Munich back to Vienna, I'm a bit sad it's all over but I'll be glad to hand the Goose into the Guzzi dealer at Vienna for some R&R

Metrics
States 27 - Michegan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, California, Arizona, Colorada, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina. North Carolina (I think), Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvannia, New Jersey, New York.
Distance covered (according to mapsource) - 11,921 miles (Toronto to Toronto the long way).

catweasel67 screwed with this post 10-19-2010 at 12:41 AM
Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #45
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67
That particular spot you're parked in is about 100 feet from where I proposed to my wife on one cool moonlight night, there in the shadow of the Alamo right after a long ride in a horsedrawn carriage. It's damned hard to kneel down in a horse carriage.

Sorry you took a pass on San Antonio, there is so much to see and do here. And yes, the bugs strikes are painful at times.

Great report, thanks for sharing!
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote