Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #106
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
when using my helmet the LED brake light will always look to flashing but it is not...has to do with the speed of the camera etc...not sure about the techie stuff....however, having said that there are brake light kits that will pulsate your brake light and they are legal...something like this although I don't think they have a set up for the newer BMW bikes...but other models

http://adventuretech.ca/index.php?p=shop
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #107
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Yes I have the flashing LED brake light at the moment and it is worth it's weight in gold! I have had many drivers stop at lights and try and tell my brake light is either broken or is annoying...lol.....As long as they see me...I'm good with it!
I thought you had an extra add-on flashing unit of some sort....thanks
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #108
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
I installed a Whelan TIR 3 police light on the back of my bike.
http://www.fleetsafety.com/Whelen-TIR3-LED-28

It has several flash patterns, but I couldn't figure out how to get a CA legal one. SO I added a separate controller. The controller died so I just set it on constant flash.

I've never been hassled for it, I Suppose they could, but I figure I'll just accept a ticket every few years as the cost of staying alive. I have no idea if these are legal in Canada, but I seriously don't care if it's legal.

it is INSANELY bright, and was very reasonably priced, totally sealed, and 'sort of' small.

On a clear night, 99% of cars stop 20-30' behind me because it is seriously so bright it will give you a headache if you look at it.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #109
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I just got to this ride report. I just took my first tour this past summer (only 17 days and 4800 miles for me) and especially understood your disappointment that the ride had to end. I remember our last gas stop before arriving home. We were there for am hour procrastinating leaving. I know all three of us would have kept on going if we only could have. Sigh. Work and family. My dream is to take $10,000 bucks when I retire and just ride until it's gone! M
aybe a month or three?

Thanks for taking us along on your trip.
lookatdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #110
Buffalo Cowboy
LETS RIDE

Oddometer: 17
Just finished reading your report & pictures nice well done. was curious about the Bear any story behind it looked pretty close
Buffalo Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #111
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

no story behind the bear....just one or two on the side of the road and thought it would make a Kodak moment....Black bears are all over Alberta and BC...but always cool to see one in the wild no matter how many times I see one....I am such a wild life freak and next year we get to do my dream trip...BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska. Next RR will be totally revamped now I think I know what I am doing...
Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #112
bennyblanco
n00b

Oddometer: 4
really hot summer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
the day we arrived in NY..maybe you read in the RR...was the worst day on record. My folks called us while we were upstate to say stay up there for the day and come down on Sunday July 25th. The humidity along the east coast almost killed us....I grew up in NY but man have I acclimated to the west. Heat index of 115 that Saturday and all I can say is staying mentally healthy on day like that was way more important than riding skills.

One day we shall never forget!
hi!
last summer was particularly hot and humid, i live in Montreal..
one of the hottest summer in years,GREAT REPORT!
bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #113
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

the east coast humidity this summer almost did us in....next year going NORTH~!!!!!!!!!!!! Way North!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #114
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
no story behind the bear....just one or two on the side of the road and thought it would make a Kodak moment....Black bears are all over Alberta and BC...but always cool to see one in the wild no matter how many times I see one....I am such a wild life freak and next year we get to do my dream trip...BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska. Next RR will be totally revamped now I think I know what I am doing...
Nice!!!
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #115
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

possibly the gear we will be wearing next summer....just got my KLIM Traverse suit today...and we got some other KLIM gear like Dakar and powerxross gloves and the inversion Jacket...
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #116
ChrisZ
Exploring, Not Lost

Oddometer: 175
Cool RR

I miss Canada.

NYC, NY (Until 3rd May, anyway)
www.ChristopherZguris.com / New York to Ohio, Via Canada and Montana 2010: 4 Weeks On The Road
ChrisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #117
SMURPH
Jackass

Oddometer: 385
Great RR Cheryl and Leslie! Looking forward to reading about your next adventure.

S
Blog > http://tinyurl.com/lnqkh4j
SMURPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #118
Aidan1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Thanks for the interesting report ladies. I enjoyed reading it.

Quote:
the east coast humidity this summer almost did us in....
I did a west to east coast to coast ride in the US last summer and the humidity on the east coast was a real shock to someone from Ireland where our max summer temps are around 22C

It seems that BC riders are like Irish riders and enjoy 15 to 20C conditions.

From Sea to Shining Sea. A four week US coast to coast ride in June/July 2010. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=shining

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence.
Aidan1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #119
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

you got that right....my perfect temperature is about 15 Celsius....we have less than 5 months to our next departure date and adventure~
Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #120
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
when using my helmet the LED brake light will always look to flashing but it is not...has to do with the speed of the camera etc...not sure about the techie stuff....however, having said that there are brake light kits that will pulsate your brake light and they are legal...something like this although I don't think they have a set up for the newer BMW bikes...but other models

http://adventuretech.ca/index.php?p=shop
It's an LED light/video frame speed thing (I've been told). Every video of my F8GS shows a flashing taillight too. The MCN video of the Triumph/F800GS comparison shows the F8 flashing as well.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote