Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #31
Grumpy
Grumpy

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheedle
I am typically very picky about who I will ride with. There are probably 10 or so people on that list.
I am starting to lean in this direction as well, if I can't ride with my son or a couple of my mate's - max 3 people on the ride then I will mostly ride alone apart from benefits like "toy runs? etc. As an example there is a rally on the 27th around 700km from here and if my son cannot join me Im acing it
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #32
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by njd
What's the point? I understand riding with a bunch of your buddies, but I feel like riding in huge groups greatly increases your chances of going down, and it can't really be that much fun.

I was riding up to NYS yesterday, and coming the other way was a huge group of maybe 30 or so riders. It was a mixed group of all kinds of bikes, I'm not sure what kind of organization it was, maybe just a riding club. Anyway, I thought to myself, how is this fun? I felt claustrophobic just passing them the other way, I can't imagine what it's like to be in the middle the group and have to constantly worry about the people in front of you and behind you. All it takes it one rider with bad technique and you could get multiple people down.
Having participated in a couple of 150+ bike rides, all I can say is congratulations, because you are obviously a faster learner than I am. Both rides were no fun and a lot of work for the same reasons you surmised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
We have DS rides with as many as 20 riders and never have an issue. But I do not do the Pirate Parade type of groups. Poseurs on cruisers are far too dangerous.
I ride a cruiser of sorts, but I have to agree with you. Most cruiser riders I know are way too casual about good riding discipline, in my opinion. I only know two with whom I would be willing to ride. It's scary to ride with somebody who has twenty-plus years of accumulated bad riding habits and is unteachable.

I also do not care for the pirate social scene, but that's something for another thread.

* Edit: To be fair to the cruiser crowd, on the first of the group rides in which I participated, it was just one idiot who was a problem. He was supposed to be behind me and to my right, but every time we took a sharp right turn at an intersection, the imbecile would pull up alongside me and run wide. On the second ride, it was morons on sportbikes who couldn't follow directions and maintain formation; the cruiser riders were generally on top of things. *

PalePhase screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 02:31 PM
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #33
PerfectStranger
Systema Encéphale

Oddometer: 366
I usually kick in money for the 'cause' of the ride. The cause is almost always worthy of consideration and donation. However, on the morning of the rides I'm already 100 miles away before they're out of bed. Those big group rides are a circle jerk IMO.
PerfectStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #34
Mike W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Group riding doesn't really appeal to me. So far I've been riding alone. Wouldn't mind having 1 or 2 more riders for company and help if something breaks, but that's it. (I do a lot of whitewater canoeing, and feel the same way about that. Paddling alone is not very safe, but once the group gets bigger than 4-6 boats (depending on the size of the river), people just start getting in each other's way.)

BTW I would love to have that tiger costume windmill posted above!
2003 Mercedes S500 4matic

"No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government"
"Tom Sawyer" by Neil Peart
Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #35
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Group rides tend to be trains, with similar dynamics. Slow to start, slow to stop (and the latter is what really worries me.) I can correct for the noise and the egos, but not the physics. That's why this ol' boy chooses to ride alone.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #36
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
I dont rmind riding in company with one or two riders I know and trust, I have done a few group rideouts using the BMW "drop off" system that were pretty successful, but I really dont like the idea od a procession, there are enough careless and distracted drivers out there without taking my own.
Stewart
Old 08-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #37
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreMrNiceGuy
I ride a cruiser of sorts, but I have to agree with you. Most cruiser riders I know are way too casual about good riding discipline, in my opinion. I only know two with whom I would be willing to ride. It's scary to ride with somebody who has twenty-plus years of accumulated bad riding habits and is unteachable.

This is something I get a laugh out of, from this forum.

Do you think it matters what bike your on? There are tons of bad riders. Around here more crotch rocket riders where shorts, and as far as the rest of the bikes level protection is about the same.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #38
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk
This is something I get a laugh out of, from this forum.

Do you think it matters what bike your on? There are tons of bad riders. Around here more crotch rocket riders where shorts, and as far as the rest of the bikes level protection is about the same.
Of course it isn't the bike. It is people who are drawn to certain types of bike by image but get too wrapped up in the fun factor to remember that a moment's inattention is all it takes to have a disaster. Both squids on sport bikes and way-too-casual cruiser riders bring too much dramatic baggage with them for me to want to ride with them. In my mind, the difference is that the squids seem to spend more time practicing and improving their skills -- note that I did not say judgment -- than the typical cruiser owners with whom I am acquainted. Also, I am not going to have to worry about the squid for very long because he is going to leave me far behind.

One of my close friends just scares the be-jeesus out of me to ride with him: he's a great guy and he is actually quite sharp, but he zones out when he is on the bike and doesn't pay enough attention to what is going on around him. He scares me me about equally whether he is flying lead or wingman. In the lead, he will not hold lane position, but if you both have to stop for any reason, he will invariably change lane positions right before you come to a stop. When "following", he will inevitably pull up directly alongside, no matter how fast or slow you are going and will either be directly behind you or else crowding you from the side when you are trying to stop. He is out there to socialize on two wheels and to soak up the ambience, not to become a better rider. Yes, he rides a cruiser.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #39
RedWolf
Corporate Zombie

Oddometer: 511
I don't seem to like enough people to ever be in a position to get into a large group.

I just seem to be in the majority here, might ride with a few close friends of similar mind and skill, but tend to prefer to be alone.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #40
Inked
Tattooed Biker

Oddometer: 175
Depends on what kind of riders they are. Huge groups tend to get seperated. I like to keep my groups to a max of 10 people. That way the ride leader and tailgunner can control people with less confusion.

BMW R1200 GS Adventure
Inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Parade Stupidity

I inadvertently ended up in the middle of a cruiser 'parade' today. This happened on MN23 between Spicer and New London; I was in my cage headed north on the 4-lane, divided highway when I noticed a bunch of bikes entering the highway from the right. I moved over to the left lane to give them room at about which time I notice flashing lights ahead. Turns out that this is a 200+ bike parade that was running a stop sign and turning north onto the highway. The bikes ahead of me are moving into the left lane, so I slow down and filter back into the right lane. Needless to say that these bikers are giving me the stink-eye and worse since I'm right in the middle of their formation. I work my way to the front where there is a Sherriff's deputy and a fire engine, with the engine running right down the middle of the road. I pull in behind the deputy and follow them off the highway into New London, where I take the first available left in order to get out of the procession.

My question is how these goobers can use the public roads in this manner? I realize that these parades are charity events, etc. and that the bikers love riding in them, but for fuck's sake, if you are going to illegally enter a divided highway with a posted 65mph limit, at least make an attempt to stop or signal the oncoming traffic.

To be fair, when the whole parade made the left turn off of the highway, there was a MN patrol unit blocking the oncoming traffic lanes. I suppose that the whole thing was a mistake of some sort, the LEOs didn't make it to the point where the parade entered the divided highway, but why wouldn't a couple of the bikers stop to warn the oncoming traffic (me?).

Parade season in MN.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #42
Advntr
Dilbert

Oddometer: 445
I ride alone, with nobody else.

Be careful when following the herd as you may step in what it leaves behind.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #43
ULY-RPG
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 295
This is not an insult to anyone's ability to handle a bike or how they choose to dress or what they choose to ride.

I have ridden in large groups a handful of times and it's not what I enjoy. When I do ride in a group it's from the tail end and take a deep breath when it's over!

The most fun I have is riding alone, riding my own ride, MAN AND MACHINE. No worries, No distractions.
If it's a planned event I'll meet you there We can B.S. then.
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #44
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,457
I really enjoy riding with 2 or 3 good riders, that, in my case, have ridden with for 10 years. The synchronization of good riders cranking through the corners is a fantastic experience. I won't ride in big groups, or with people that I don't know...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #45
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Oddometer: 532
When I ride alone, I ride alone. When I ride in a group, I ride alone.
PSYCHO II is offline   Reply With Quote