User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
BryceB OP
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 297
Highland Park Big Bike ride.. or Not

Highland Park ( http://www.highlandparkresort.com/ ) is a really cool paradise for dirtbikers... you'd normally not see big DS bikes out there, but there was a post on a couple of forums (here included) that there might be a gathering of Big DS bikes on some of their easier trails. I figured I'd be the light weight for a change on my KLR and planned on going.

It looked like were were going to have a decent turn out, but the weather looked iffy and some folks bailed out, others had other excuses (most were vaild :) ). In the end, only 2 of us showed up. Dan (BlueLghtning) on his Wee-Strom and me on the KLR. We decided to just hit the roads around Highland Park instead. Me being a cheap-assed KLR rider didn't want to pay $25 to ride at HP if I was only going to do a trail or 2 and since it was only us.

At Highland Park

We hit the back roads around Highland Park (Treat Mountain Area) on our way to Snows Lake. Looked like they got more rain here than the folks at HP let on. The mud holes were pretty deceiving... if you tried to ride around the edges, they were just slick, sloppy mud that sucked you into the holes. It was actually better to just ride on through the mud holes and hope that they weren't hiding any bike swallowing pits. The bottoms were actaully pretty solid.

We made it to Snows Lake and decided to eat our lunches. Good thing we packed something because there was nothing around to stop for lunch at. After lunch, I had a little scare... I thought I had locked my keys in my top case... luckily, I had only closed and latched the case and the keys and locks were in the top case. Dan and I just missed the chance to see exactly how indestructable a Pelican Case really is!

We headed through an open gate and came up to this No Drinking Sign. A bit down the trail, we cam upon a trailer park/campground... I'm sure the No Drinking rule is observed and enforced! We decided not to hang around.. I've heard rumors that there are still Moonshine Stills active around there.

We started to back track and took off down a road that we passed earlier. We eventually came up on this Old Cemetary... a lot of the markers were from the 1800's and some looked much older and were unmarked... lots of short lived children too.

It started to get HOT and I didn't want to be out too late today, so we started heading towards the main road. We followed an ATV for a while... he was kicking up a lot of dust. We stopped at a bridge with a another trail that was not on my GPS's but looked like it might be fun. It branched off a few times... on branch just sort of ran out. Another had a tree fallen across it. A third made it out to the road, but was gated and locked. That didn't stop us. Off came Dan's side cases, a rock was strategically moved, over a bump next to the gate and we were out! At this point Dan and I were about 50/50 from our house in opposite directions so we parted ways here and headed home.

I stopped and put some air in the tires and gatorade in me

Just before nome, I washed the mud off since I cleaned out the garage yesterday and didn't want to mess it up again.

Good day of riding. for those that bailed out, you missed out. It was a bit rough in parts and it got HOT and HUMID out there after a while. Dan and I kept the bikes upright all day, so in my books, that was a good day of riding.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver

BryceB screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 04:59 PM
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
simpson
wild rover of hell

Oddometer: 510
Nice job. I've never been to HP and was hoping to see what some of the easier trails looked like. Sorry you guys didn't get to ride there, but there is definitely some good DS roads to ride in that area. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson
Nice job. I've never been to HP and was hoping to see what some of the easier trails looked like. Sorry you guys didn't get to ride there, but there is definitely some good DS roads to ride in that area. Thanks for sharing.
I've got vids and pictures of the trails. In fact, I have video of the perimeter loop and trail #2 which is pretty easy that I took today. I'll work on getting them uploaded.

I took a ton of video with my GoPro today.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Nice job guys.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Here are my pics

Here are my pics from this day. I have tons of vids I'll work on too.

The bikes started out so clean.

My new Shinko 705 Radials

Oh yeah and new skid plate that would get well tested

This is a 4wd haven, so you never know how deep the mud holes are, but it turned out trying to stay up on the edge wasn't working either.

I kept sliding towards the water

Bryce checks out the depth and gives me a thumbs up

I like this pic. Got Bryce's reflection in the mirror

Lots of fun

We came up on this steep hill, but decided it wasn't in our cards

Lunch Time at Snow's Lake

We headed off in search of some more roads

This turned out to be a private hunting club
Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

We ended up just back tracking to where we had been and just exploring more trails we had skipped.

Back to some more fun

We saw this big hill in the distance, but our trail didn't take us there

Taking a break

Old cemetery we came up on

Then we started really exploring

Road Block

Back the way we came

Bryce goes to check out if its worth climbing this hill.

It is so we move forward

Back at HP hanging out

A friend of ours (Dixie) I chased down on the perimeter trail

I have the GoPro mount on my dirt bike helmet right at the chin as you can see in the pic above. I also had my street bike helmet along to get me to/from the dirt park. I tried to do something similar on my street helmet, but wanted to be able to see the lens to make sure it was recording. I decided to grab an old shield and mount it to that. It actually works pretty well. Even in this position, its not in my way, and I can move the shield up and still rotate the camera forward.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
Looks like some good riding. Do it again when it's not so hot and I may join you.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
BryceB OP
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 297
Here's a GPX file of where we went
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Ride 8-15-2010.gpx (375.1 KB, 48 views)
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
That creek is down CR 224, a little south of your route.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote