ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
MountainRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MountainRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The High Country
Oddometer: 112
TTR-225 Timing Problem

A few months ago I purchased a 2003 Yamaha TTR-225. The bike belonged to my Nephew who rode it for about two years. He failed to properly maintain the bike and ran it low on oil. It quit running and he parked it. It sat in his shed for past two years.

Inspection of the bike showed the bottom end was in very good shape. The top end now has a new piston, rings and was punched to .40 over. The air box was cleaned and a new filter installed. The old filter was a KN. The new one is factory. The Carb was removed and cleaned. The fule tank was cleaned and new gas put in. Oil and filter are new.

The bike is back together now. All the timing marks are lined up but it will not start, but it does back fire occasionally. I have spark, fuel and air. So I assume it the timing. The ignition timing.

As I don't have a manual, I am hoping someone here can help.

How do I set and adjust the ignition timing?

Thanks!!!!!
__________________
MountainRider
2007 KLR 650
USMC 1983-1993
MountainRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....
 
webmonstro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portugal
Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRider
A few months ago I purchased a 2003 Yamaha TTR-225. The bike belonged to my Nephew who rode it for about two years. He failed to properly maintain the bike and ran it low on oil. It quit running and he parked it. It sat in his shed for past two years.

Inspection of the bike showed the bottom end was in very good shape. The top end now has a new piston, rings and was punched to .40 over. The air box was cleaned and a new filter installed. The old filter was a KN. The new one is factory. The Carb was removed and cleaned. The fule tank was cleaned and new gas put in. Oil and filter are new.

The bike is back together now. All the timing marks are lined up but it will not start, but it does back fire occasionally. I have spark, fuel and air. So I assume it the timing. The ignition timing.

As I don't have a manual, I am hoping someone here can help.

How do I set and adjust the ignition timing?

Thanks!!!!!
Hi
Don't kwo about the 225 but most of these kind of engines do not have timming adjustable for the ignition. ~Most have just one position for the back plate
Check you valve cam timing.


good luck
Bye
Nuno
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
MountainRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MountainRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The High Country
Oddometer: 112
I am sure that the valve timing is correct.

If I could retard or advance the spark, this may get the bike srarted. From there I know I could dial it in. But, I am unable to get it started.
__________________
MountainRider
2007 KLR 650
USMC 1983-1993
MountainRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....
 
webmonstro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portugal
Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRider
I am sure that the valve timing is correct.

If I could retard or advance the spark, this may get the bike srarted. From there I know I could dial it in. But, I am unable to get it started.
Wish i could help more but I got a xt350 so not close enough to say anyting useful, but if there no adjustment for the backplate and assuming the cdi is not fryed i can't think of a way to advance or retard it.
Can you maybe put the stator plate backwords or someting ? (again not familiar with this engine so don't know if it's even possible)
I'd check valve clearence agin next, and then recheck/clean carb ...
Good luck

Nuno
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Flatulator
Banned
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 733
if the lower end was not disassembled ... (meaning- if the stator was not removed) ... then the ignition timing will be correct as is and will NOT need advancing or retarding

and if the stator plate does not have slotted holes for its mounting ... then it is not in fact adjustable unless you slot the holes ... but there is no reason to slot the holes

you say its backfiring occasionally ... then I say its still not getting enough fuel ... did you remove the individual brass jets in the carb and clean them and look thru them up to a light ? ... if not then do that

as a quick test to see if that might be true ... go ahead and shoot a little starting fluid onto the air filter and try it again ... if it runs for a few seconds ... then its still not getting fuel

... the stator plate ... is the CDI ignition plate that holds all the spark generating coils and stuff ... its under the flywheel inside the left side engine cover ... pull that left side cover ... look thru the holes in the flywheel (if it has some) ... and you might be able to see the stator plate mount screws to see if they are slotted so you could adjust it

If you never removed the flywheel ... then do not try to change ignition timing ... because I garauntee you that the Ig timing .. is not the problem
Flatulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
trailrider383
867-5309
 
trailrider383's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: NP, ID
Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRider
A few months ago I purchased a 2003 Yamaha TTR-225. The bike belonged to my Nephew who rode it for about two years. He failed to properly maintain the bike and ran it low on oil. It quit running and he parked it. It sat in his shed for past two years.

Inspection of the bike showed the bottom end was in very good shape. The top end now has a new piston, rings and was punched to .40 over. The air box was cleaned and a new filter installed. The old filter was a KN. The new one is factory. The Carb was removed and cleaned. The fule tank was cleaned and new gas put in. Oil and filter are new.

The bike is back together now. All the timing marks are lined up but it will not start, but it does back fire occasionally. I have spark, fuel and air. So I assume it the timing. The ignition timing.

As I don't have a manual, I am hoping someone here can help.

How do I set and adjust the ignition timing?

Thanks!!!!!
But do you have compression? You might have the valves adjusted too tight. It won't run without compression.
__________________
DO WHAT YOU LIKE - LIKE WHAT YOU DO
Explain to me again why enjoying life when I retire is more important than enjoying life now?
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
MountainRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MountainRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The High Country
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
if the lower end was not disassembled ... (meaning- if the stator was not removed) ... then the ignition timing will be correct as is and will NOT need advancing or retarding

and if the stator plate does not have slotted holes for its mounting ... then it is not in fact adjustable unless you slot the holes ... but there is no reason to slot the holes

you say its backfiring occasionally ... then I say its still not getting enough fuel ... did you remove the individual brass jets in the carb and clean them and look thru them up to a light ? ... if not then do that

as a quick test to see if that might be true ... go ahead and shoot a little starting fluid onto the air filter and try it again ... if it runs for a few seconds ... then its still not getting fuel

... the stator plate ... is the CDI ignition plate that holds all the spark generating coils and stuff ... its under the flywheel inside the left side engine cover ... pull that left side cover ... look thru the holes in the flywheel (if it has some) ... and you might be able to see the stator plate mount screws to see if they are slotted so you could adjust it

If you never removed the flywheel ... then do not try to change ignition timing ... because I garauntee you that the Ig timing .. is not the problem

I did remove the carb. Cleaned all jets and ensured the floats work properly.

The starter fluid did not work.

The stator is not slotted.

I am not sure what to try next.
__________________
MountainRider
2007 KLR 650
USMC 1983-1993
MountainRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
MountainRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MountainRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The High Country
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383
But do you have compression? You might have the valves adjusted too tight. It won't run without compression.
My compression tester does not fit the bike. But using the finger method, it seems to have good compression.
__________________
MountainRider
2007 KLR 650
USMC 1983-1993
MountainRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
trailrider383
867-5309
 
trailrider383's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: NP, ID
Oddometer: 3,142
Since you say it ran low on oil, how did the camshaft and rocker arms look? That is where things start to go to crap first when you run them low on oil.
__________________
DO WHAT YOU LIKE - LIKE WHAT YOU DO
Explain to me again why enjoying life when I retire is more important than enjoying life now?
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014