Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R
I went from a 2005 to a 2010 GS. The 2005 was very smooth. The 2010 starts to buzz around 65-70 MPH and never smooths out at higher speeds. I am slightly bummed about this. I'll take it to the dealer in a few days.

One of the reasons I'm hanging onto my 07 for at least another year. Butter smooth until 4500-ish, and it sounds like that's where coolbanana's starts getting vibey.

Maybe they'll remedy it by 2011.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack
One of the reasons I'm hanging onto my 07 for at least another year. Butter smooth until 4500-ish, and it sounds like that's where coolbanana's starts getting vibey.

Maybe they'll remedy it by 2011.
Butter smooth, just like my 08 was .

4200 is uncomfortable .

Im kinda hoping that maybe it will get better with time and k's.
The 08 had its issues but by 20,000k's it was really smooth, used no oil, reved up very nicely (with all the mods). Only traded because of other ongoing issues, but the motor was excellent.
Probably going to require some attitude alteration on my part and try to ignore it and see if it improves with time

Maybe there will be a remedy, I hope so,

1coolbanana screwed with this post 08-19-2010 at 09:37 PM
1coolbanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #18
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana
Just like my 08 was .

4200 is uncomfortable .

Im kinda hoping that maybe it will get better with time and k's.
The 08 had its issues but by 20,000k's it was really smooth, used no oil, reved up very nicely (with all the mods). Only traded because of other ongoing issues, but the motor was excellent.
Probably going to require some attitude alteration on my part and try to ignore it and see if it improves with time

Maybe there will be a remedy, I hope so,
For me it was where range where the throttle bodies are synced. Get this close to the "comfort zone" and you'll have it right.

I asked the dealer when I had the 600 mile service about this and told them, that I normally ride in the 3 to 4.5k rpm range and the set it up appropriately and vibes are no problem anymore.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #19
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
For me it was where range where the throttle bodies are synced. Get this close to the "comfort zone" and you'll have it right.

I asked the dealer when I had the 600 mile service about this and told them, that I normally ride in the 3 to 4.5k rpm range and the set it up appropriately and vibes are no problem anymore.
Seems to make no difference to mine.
The dealer set it up and it vibed, Ive redone it multiple times, in that range and out and it doesnt make any difference.

I can set mine up at 2k and its still perfect at 5 or I can do it at 5k and its still spot on at 2 or 3 or 4.5k.
It really does not vary, if its done correctly it will correct throughout the rev range.

Ive even set it a fair way out to see what effect it has and the throttle opening the greater the effect (obviously) and vice versa but it does not remove whats inherently what appears an mechanical imbalance vibe (maybe fueling) not a synch vibe.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #20
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Its interesting how little things have changed over the last 10 years. My 2000 1100 starts to vibrate more at about 4200. Pretty smooth up to that point. No matter what I do you can't make it go away. I'm asuming that it is inherient to the boxer design.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #21
cug
--

Quote:
I can set mine up at 2k and its still perfect at 5 or I can do it at 5k and its still spot on at 2 or 3 or 4.5k.
It's possible that mine was off all over the place as it was much better after I got it back. I had "burning hands / feet" syndrome the first 300 miles, then it smoothed out on its own and got very good after the 600 mile service. It's nowhere near as smooth as a Triumph Triple and I think that everybody who says that a boxer is "smooth as glass" must have the sensitivity of a sledgehammer ... but it's still pretty good on my bike. Good enough that I can ride for hours without any problem now.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dont get me wrong, I can still do 800k days and I do love this bike, but I was expecting it to be better than my 08 after all I read (not worse) and it is in many respects, just that these annoying vibes in the optimal cruise range isnt one of them.
I do have to consciously try to keep out of the 4-5k range on the long haul trips which is just annoying.

Maybe it will get better, maybe there will be a fix?

Im hoping to hear back from texzen to find out whether he had the vibes before his mods and maybe the Accelerator module may be the simple fix.
Ive tried the Boosterplug which I thought was pretty much the same and it really didnt improve anything (with my stock motor).
Old 08-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #23
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I can still do 800k days and I do love this bike, but I was expecting it to be better than my 08 after all I read (not worse) and it is in many respects, just that these annoying vibes in the optimal cruise range isnt one of them.
I do have to consciously try to keep out of the 4-5k range on the long haul trips which is just annoying.

Maybe it will get better, maybe there will be a fix?

Im hoping to hear back from texzen to find out whether he had the vibes before his mods and maybe the Accelerator module may be the simple fix.
Ive tried the Boosterplug which I thought was pretty much the same and it really didnt improve anything (with my stock motor).
The simple fix will likely cone from someone having the time, money and inclination to make some adjustments to the valve timing or gap. On the Camhead that can be more complicated. Some have managed to move the vibes around, and nearly eliminate them, on the R1200 old style by adjusting the valves a bit looser, using aftermarket exhaust, different plugs and other tricks.

For me, either I just got used to it, or the miles smoothed them out. Quality valve adjust and TB sync at 3500 RPM makes a large difference as well.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #24
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
4300 RPM is like throwing a vibration switch on mine.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #25
erikj
Skull Crusher

Oddometer: 15
I'm curious to know about the vibes we're all talking about? I can feel a bit of a change in vibes around 4500, but not unpleasent. i come from Aprilia and Ducati v-twins both of which had more noticeable vibes at all rpm's.

I'm just wondering if I lucked out on my 2010 with very little vibes or am just numbed and not noticing them from previous bikes?
erikj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #26
lopaka
Curiouser&Curiouser

Oddometer: 114
Howz about a little test ...

OK keeds. Not having a accelerometer set we can pass around, let's try something a little (but not much) more objective.

3rd gear. Steady 5.5 KRPM. Rear view mirror view clear? Repeat @ 4.5 KRPM. Can you see the cop behind you?

Lotsa flying variables here not engine related (handlebar gripping, road surface, tire type & pressure, suspension type & setting, 20-20 vision? ...). Results not to be written up in a professional journal, but rotsa fun.
lopaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #27
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARIAH
4300 RPM is like throwing a vibration switch on mine.

Sums it up nicely
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #28
Irish Red
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Mine ran fine until the last service. Since then I've notice vibration at highway speeds, enough that both my hands go numb. Could this be a throttle body sync issue?
Irish Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Red
Mine ran fine until the last service. Since then I've notice vibration at highway speeds, enough that both my hands go numb. Could this be a throttle body sync issue?
Yes, valve adjust and throttle body sync should help, especially since it started right after service.

Unfortunately, some techs do not put as much effort into optimizing these as the owner would.

This might help: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_24K.html

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
cug
--

Some more info on the vibes I have / had with my 2010 GS. When I picked it up the dealer told me they used 89 rated fuel (premium) to fill up. The bike vibrated uncomfortably at that time. I told myself to give it some time an see how it behaves over time. I started using premium plus fuel (rated 91 in whatever rating they have here in Calfornia). Vibrations smoothed out over the next 200 miles and all was good. Had it for the 600 mile service and it was synced properly and it got even better. Decided to try 89 fuel again. Took about 100 miles and suddenly, coming off the highway, no throttle, something "clicked", I couldn't hear it properly because of earplugs and it might have been unrelated, and from one second to the next the vibrations were back! F#%^*+!

I thought something went bad but everything else was flawless. Hated the vibrations. Got pain on my hands and feet after rides. So next time I filled the tank I used 91 premium plus again. I rode it nearly dry before to have the least amount of mixture and guess what? Vibrations are nearly gone again.

It sounds crazy but right now I think the crappy California fuel and the knock sensor + engine mapping are quite suboptimal.

PS: weird typos due to me writing this on an iPhone.