Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #46
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevo
I put the full Akrapovic exhaust system on last week. It deletes cat and exhaust valve. Between 4k and 5k it is night and day smoother. Very noticeable performance difference. System isn't much louder then stock. The con is the price...
Ok, so your saying that you had the vibes and after the exhaust you have no vibes?
Is the performance an improvement throughout the rev range or did you loose some low/mid?

Not really a choice for me unfortunately, they sell the slip on for $1600 here and the full system for about $3k .

But if your saying the Akro you got does not keep the valve, does that mean its from an earlier model? The full Akro available here keeps the valve.

Maybe a de-cat job might give the same result with the vibes????
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #47
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
12-1300ish.
Ouch.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:32 AM   #48
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana
Ok, so your saying that you had the vibes and after the exhaust you have no vibes?
Is the performance an improvement throughout the rev range or did you loose some low/mid?

Not really a choice for me unfortunately, they sell the slip on for $1600 here and the full system for about $3k .

But if your saying the Akro you got does not keep the valve, does that mean its from an earlier model? The full Akro available here keeps the valve.

It will be loud as hell, but to test your exhaust change theory, simply remove the muffler and see if the vibes change.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #49
Beevo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:

The vibes on my bike were never bad but noticeably less with the new exhaust system. My Akra is for 2010, system was released last week. All the valve does is make more noise at idle. It's your decision if you want to keep it or not, bike doesn't need it.

2010 BMW R1200 GSA 30th
2009 KTM 950se
2010 KTM 530exc
2010 Husaberg FE390
Beevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #50
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
The vibes on my bike were never bad but noticeably less with the new exhaust system. My Akra is for 2010, system was released last week. All the valve does is make more noise at idle. It's your decision if you want to keep it or not, bike doesn't need it.
Not really. The valve's job is to even out and increase torque in the lower RPMs, the sound increase is just a side effect, despite BMW marketing.

As far as your Akra exhaust, it may obliviate the need for the valve, but is an illegal modification technically, for both noise and removal of the cat, in the US. BMW could not legally replicate the effect the Akra exhaust has because of emissions and noise regulations.

Jim
Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #51
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
It will be loud as hell, but to test your exhaust change theory, simply remove the muffler and see if the vibes change.

Jim
I dont think its the muffler as much as the cat.

Im goint to try and find a SH 2010 header and de-cat it, see if that changes anything.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #52
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
I dont think its the muffler as much as the cat.

Im goint to try and find a SH 2010 header and de-cat it, see if that changes anything.
On the R1200 series the vast majority of the exhaust restrictions are in the muffler, opposite of the R1100/1150.

Pulling the cat material will do very little for flow.

Jim
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #53
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
On the R1200 series the vast majority of the exhaust restrictions are in the muffler, opposite of the R1100/1150.

Pulling the cat material will do very little for flow.

Jim
Im my experience with the last few hexheads, changing the header to one without a cat (and keeping the stock can) made a vastly bigger difference than changing the can alone.

Eveybodies mileage varies though
Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #54
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Im my experience with the last few hexheads, changing the header to one without a cat (and keeping the stock can) made a vastly bigger difference than changing the can alone.

Eveybodies mileage varies though
Sorry, maybe we are talking about different things. I am referring to increasing flow, and effecting vibes, not HP.

Jim
Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #55
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, maybe we are talking about different things. I am referring to increasing flow, and effecting vibes, not HP.

Jim
Me too.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #56
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
I had a 2004 K1200LT for several years. I installed the Remus header (no cat) with the stock muffler. In terms of performance, it woke up the upper rpm range dramatically. I had to pay attention to the rev limiter and tachometer, where with the original exhaust going over 6,000 rpm did nothing but make noise. MOST important, the 4500 rpm buzz was completely gone. Yes, the K-engine has the same buzz. Magical transformation, loved it. Unfortunately... on the K1200LT, neither myself or my partner liked the noise. I sold the Remus and reinstalled the original header/cat.

In the process I noticed that the Remus did not have a support bracket at the rear of the header. Could it be that the vibration change was the lack of that bracket? Maybe the bracket transmitted vibration from the engine to the exhaust, which magnified it in a certain harmonic range?

I left the bracket off the original header. Earlier model LTs didn't have a bracket anyway, although I understand the reinforcement intention. Guess what? The vibration was nearly gone. Not quite the same as the Remus, but 90% eliminated.

Has anyone ever tried removing the R12GS header support (in front of the muffler)?

Anyway... I ordered the Leo Vince header for my R12GS, using the group buy posted in Vendors right now. Don't have it yet. I chose the LV pipe because it has a crossover, versus the Remus which does not. It won't bother me if the GS is a bit louder than stock, its not a luxury cruiser anyway. I'd like to open up the rev range a bit, but I'm really hoping it will reduce the 4500 rpm buzz. My GS hits that at about 85mph in high gear. Really annoying. Yes, I've got the TBs synced precisely, which did help. I just can't stop trying to make things "better"!

:-)
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #57
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman

Anyway... I ordered the Leo Vince header for my R12GS, using the group buy posted in Vendors right now. Don't have it yet. I chose the LV pipe because it has a crossover, versus the Remus which does not. It won't bother me if the GS is a bit louder than stock, its not a luxury cruiser anyway. I'd like to open up the rev range a bit, but I'm really hoping it will reduce the 4500 rpm buzz. My GS hits that at about 85mph in high gear. Really annoying. Yes, I've got the TBs synced precisely, which did help. I just can't stop trying to make things "better"!

I cant find the group buy? Are you referring to the Renazco Racing offer?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #58
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I cant find the group buy? Are you referring to the Renazco Racing offer?
Yes. I guess you're right its not listed as a group buy, although the original discussion was that way. Order away...
Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #59
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman

Have you got the header yet?

Please let us know the result and what you think as soon as you can.

Id like to get some feedback before ordering
Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #60
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Got it, but haven't had time to install it. Maybe this weekend.

As far as whether the bracket is transmitting engine vibes to the exhaust, its pretty easy to remove the bracket on your stock exhaust. Why don't you try it first!