ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 01:45 AM   #61
1coolbanana OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
1coolbanana's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NW Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
Got it, but haven't had time to install it. Maybe this weekend.
I just looking for justification for getting the header , thats why I need to know
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #62
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger
 
Tn. Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Oddometer: 303
I have a new 2010 GSA. Two weeks old and I have put just over 2000 miles on it. 600 mile maintenance done with no problems. Mine vibrates at highway speeds bad enough to make my right hand numb. Very uncomfortable.
__________________
Forever West ....Murphy says NO!

Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.

IBA# 49285
Tn. Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #63
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn. Walrus
I have a new 2010 GSA. Two weeks old and I have put just over 2000 miles on it. 600 mile maintenance done with no problems. Mine vibrates at highway speeds bad enough to make my right hand numb. Very uncomfortable.
Some things to consider:

- Does your shop normally do really good work? Meaning, do you trust them to do a good throttle body sync?

- I think have differences depending on the fuel type I use (not validated yet, but I might do more testing over time). Mine is just in the "smoothing out phase" again and I like to leave it there for a while. Then I maybe try a tank of cheaper gas again.

- Do the vibrations go away when you pull the clutch and let the engine idle at that speed?

What is highway speed? Which gear? Which rpm?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #64
Wheelie Howell
n00b
 
Wheelie Howell's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 1
2010 Engine vibes

I did the running in phase and did my first trip on my 30yr Adv.I got pins and needles feeling in my hands within the first 30 kays.It has been 3 days since my ride and my hands have not recovered yet.I 've had 3 Hp2's and 2 Adv's and this is the first time I've experienced such bad harmonics.It is most pronounced beteween 5500 ans 6500rpm.Vibration like this have serious medical effects.Anyone have a fix for this?
Wheelie Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #65
farrell caesar
Seezer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Trenton Il.
Oddometer: 405
vibes

I have a 01 1150gs with 31K miles. It has vibes above the 4K rpm range but that is above 85mph with the tall 6th gear, so it is not much of a problem because I don't go that fast as a rule. I would not be happy if that was my crusing speed.
__________________
seezer
farrell caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #66
strmboui
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 2
Question 2010 Engine Vibes, 27k + miles

I have just gtton the bike out of the shop since it lost it's mind and had to be re-flashed so that idle accuators would work again. At least it idles now. However the dealer could not account for the high frequency vibration starting at 3700 rpm+ and 5000 rpm the worse and slight change upward to red line. They had just finished re-syn of the TBs.

Had 24k service in DEC 2012 and rode it back from dealer (slow) in April and parked until April. Had friend ride it to dealer for one last checkup before warranty was up. Dealer re-seatdd front ESA plug to alliviate sporadic pogo sticking.

Never had this problem prior to the reflash of the ECU. Already had the valve ring recall done around 1500-3000 miles time frame. Dealer re-checked valves and were with in tolerance.

Up to the 24k service and the reflash of the ECU never had this problem before. This bike was smooth but not any more. My hands and feet are numb with 40 minutes of super slab in 3700+ rpm range.

Anybody find a fix for this? Perhaps a KTM?
strmboui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #67
ZR1000A1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmboui View Post
I have just gtton the bike out of the shop since it lost it's mind and had to be re-flashed so that idle accuators would work again. At least it idles now. However the dealer could not account for the high frequency vibration starting at 3700 rpm+ and 5000 rpm the worse and slight change upward to red line. They had just finished re-syn of the TBs.

Had 24k service in DEC 2012 and rode it back from dealer (slow) in April and parked until April. Had friend ride it to dealer for one last checkup before warranty was up. Dealer re-seatdd front ESA plug to alliviate sporadic pogo sticking.

Never had this problem prior to the reflash of the ECU. Already had the valve ring recall done around 1500-3000 miles time frame. Dealer re-checked valves and were with in tolerance.

Up to the 24k service and the reflash of the ECU never had this problem before. This bike was smooth but not any more. My hands and feet are numb with 40 minutes of super slab in 3700+ rpm range.

Anybody find a fix for this? Perhaps a KTM?
I have the same issue with vibration. Really annoying! Any solution? The bike is GS 2012 with 5,000 miles on it
ZR1000A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #68
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer
 
WindSailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere out West
Oddometer: 637
Mine had a noticeable vibration around 4200k - one dealership said that was normal and it would get better as it breaks in.

Had a rear main seal leak and took it in to another dealership to replace it. That mechanic replaced the seal and did a throttle body sync on it. Now it has very little vibration throughout the rpm range. 2011 GSA.

It may be the difference in the shop personnel. The guy that did mine stayed with it until he was satisfied with the balance. World of difference. Night and day difference.
WindSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #69
sonic578
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: SE Florida
Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
Mine had a noticeable vibration around 4200k - one dealership said that was normal and it would get better as it breaks in.

Had a rear main seal leak and took it in to another dealership to replace it. That mechanic replaced the seal and did a throttle body sync on it. Now it has very little vibration throughout the rpm range. 2011 GSA.

It may be the difference in the shop personnel. The guy that did mine stayed with it until he was satisfied with the balance. World of difference. Night and day difference.
I wish you hadn't said this. I was just starting to get used to the 4,200rpm buzz, after 19k mi on my 2011 GS. Are you SURE the TB sync helped?
__________________
Dave
'11 GS
Crash bars for sale
Corvette Manuals for sale
sonic578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #70
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
I wish you hadn't said this. I was just starting to get used to the 4,200rpm buzz, after 19k mi on my 2011 GS. Are you SURE the TB sync helped?
A proper TB sync and stepper motor calibration will smooth the motor. It will not eliminate it 100%, and a lot depends on each person's sensitivity to vibes.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #71
ZR1000A1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
A proper TB sync and stepper motor calibration will smooth the motor. It will not eliminate it 100%, and a lot depends on each person's sensitivity to vibes.

Jim
Thanks! I checked TB sync in 3 - 4K RPM range and it's perfect. Did not calibrated a stepper motor yet, but will do it soon (I guess GS-911 can do that).
I just noticed one thing and not sure if that may be related to the issue. There is a noticeable difference in discoloration between left and right exhaust manifolds. I remember, that it means that 2 cylinders are running at significantly different temperature. How should I investigate the cause of that? My plan is:
1. Adjust valves
2. Check spark plugs
3. Check TB sync again
4. Calibrate stepper motor
5. Clear and re-learn adaptation values
Anything else I should look for? I want to do as much as I can before bringing my bike to a dealer.
Thanks
ZR1000A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #72
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1000A1 View Post
Thanks! I checked TB sync in 3 - 4K RPM range and it's perfect. Did not calibrated a stepper motor yet, but will do it soon (I guess GS-911 can do that).
I just noticed one thing and not sure if that may be related to the issue. There is a noticeable difference in discoloration between left and right exhaust manifolds. I remember, that it means that 2 cylinders are running at significantly different temperature. How should I investigate the cause of that? My plan is:
1. Adjust valves
2. Check spark plugs
3. Check TB sync again
4. Calibrate stepper motor
5. Clear and re-learn adaptation values
Anything else I should look for? I want to do as much as I can before bringing my bike to a dealer.
Thanks
On an R1200 that is not at all uncommon. The lengths of the pipes are a but different due to the offset of the cylinders.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014