User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
gus007 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
mix/matching tires

I am in need of some new rubber and was hoping to put on a set of Anaakee 2's but no one has a front 90/90-21 in stock in Sydney and no idea of when they will get them in. I can get the Pirelli Scorpion Trail's but I was thinking about using a MT90 up front with the Trail on the back. I've seen a couple riders using the MT90 front with the Anaakee 2 rear as well.

I had the MT90's on another bike and thought they were OK. I have a set of bridgestones on now and they suck ass. They are also very squared-off.

Any thoughts? Or should I just go with the Scorpion Trails front and back?

My riding is going to be 75/25 Street/ unsealed-gravel-dirt. But the crew I ride with tends to haul ass on the street (dirt as well).

gus007 screwed with this post 10-06-2011 at 01:36 AM Reason: More info about riding style
gus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Don't go with the scorpians, mine came with them and they are not good on or off pavement. I didn't even wear them out when I put my K60's on
Old 10-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
I've only had 2 sets of tires that matched since I bought my F800. The first was the "OEM" tires, a set of TKCs. The second was the current matched set of D606s. I don't see any need for matched tires, unless you happen to like both of them.

I was very dissatisfied with the MT90 on the front (never tried the rear). I don't know if it was a bad balance or what, but it never felt planted on any surface, including pavement. It also always had a visually noticeable wobble, if I stood up and looked over the beak. I've not seen that behavior in any tire before or since the MT90. It's still sitting in my garage with 80%+ of the tread left. $0.02

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Skip the Scorpions. My bike also came stock with these tires. They suck in the dirt, are downright dangerous in mud and are surprisingly poor on pavement. I have been riding TKC's for a while as I do probably 75% dirt now but even on pavement I can corner harder on my TKC's than I ever felt comfortable on the Scorpions. I'm sure there are better road biased choices. I don't know much about the Anakees as I have never ridden on them and I wouldn't necessarily pick the TKC's for lots of pavement as they wear pretty fast but I will never go back to the Scorpions even for long paved stuff.

Dan
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison

Ronin ADV screwed with this post 10-06-2011 at 06:30 PM
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Well, I guess tires are like seats...few people agree!

My bike came stock with the Scorpion Trails and I found them fine for pavement, no issues at all.

Offroad, fine for flat, well maintained hardpacked dirt/gravel. Throw in some mud or good puddles and I was sliding fast.

I went with an Anakee2 on the back and a TKC80 up front and have found it a very good compromise. The front doesn't feel as planted on pavement when really leaned over but is great off road. The Anakee is good enough offroad and smoothes out the paved road ride vs. having two knobbies and should get me a lot more miles than having a TKC on the rear and probably runs a little quieter, and less vibration.

FWIW, I probably do 10-15% offroad because it takes me a while to to the dirt. Probably depends on how gnarly the offroad riding is that you do.

BillsburgGS screwed with this post 10-06-2011 at 01:39 PM Reason: Typos
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 581
Hey Gus, Don't be afraid to mix tyre types front to rear, it's only the manufacturers who want you to put their tyre on both ends.

Not that I want to open a can of worms as the non matched front/rear argument has been done to death, but....

The only thing to be careful of is the construction combination.

Radial front, cross ply rear
Bias belt front, cross ply rear
Radial front, bias belt rear

have been frowned upon by those that think they know, but the reality is that lotsa people including me have broken the rules for years and got away with it, but that's not to say that it's best practice.

IMO if you ride conservatively then from a construction point of view it doesn't really matter (up to a point) what is on the rims as long as it's black, inflated and has plenty of knobs.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
By coincidence, I have a spare Anakee front with only 1,000km sitting around...

I personally think the tyre on the F800 that best meets your needs is the Tourance. Failing that, I'd mix them: it's not that critical on a low-performance bike like the F800.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:10 AM   #8
Dirt Junkie
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I'm using a Michelin t63 front and a Heidenau k60 scout back with no problems.
Dirt Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Jdubb
DL1000, WR250R

Oddometer: 135
Mixing tire construction types

I see you mention using an Anakee 2. Note that it is a radial construction. if you check most any of the tire MFG spec literature they do not want to see radial tires mixed with bias type construction. I can not verify what types of problems this causes. I run a metzler Karoo on the fron with an Anakee on the back.
Jdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubb View Post
I see you mention using an Anakee 2. Note that it is a radial construction. if you check most any of the tire MFG spec literature they do not want to see radial tires mixed with bias type construction..
I don't think anybody makes a radial 21" front tire, so we are all mixing radial rear, bias type construction front
Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Currently running the Anakee2 rear and Pirelli MT90 front. I actually really like this combination. I had been using the shinko 705 rear and liked that better than the Anakee for offroad. It doesn't last as long but works good for a combo tire. Will probably go to Shinko rear and pirelli MT90 front in the future when the current tires wear out. It's an inexpensive combo and lasts reasonably long in comparison to knobby tires on the F800GS
Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
marcoma
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I think we can confirm that both the Pirellis and the Bridgestones suck royal ass in the mud, right Gus?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
thleon
Theo

Oddometer: 47
Has anyone tried a pirelli MT90 front and a K60scout rear?

I am planning a trip and I find the front Heidy K60 very stiff and not stable on the motorway.

@Gangplank you have already tested the pirellis with Anakee2 and Shinko 705
how you find the front is it stable on pavement gravel dirt?
thleon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
MT21 front, good luck on a rear....

Scorpion Rally's suck balls
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
I actually run this exact combo with my " on road" wheels.
Scorpion trail on rear (17in), MT90 (19in) on the front.
I commute daily, regardless of season.(Im in Melbourne Australia and can get 4 seasons in a day). I also use it for "spirited" bitumen rides on the weekend with my sportsbike buddies.
Admittedly we dont get snow here, 0 deg celcius is about the min in winter.
I fond this combo works well. I run HD tubes, and "slime" so wheel balance is never perfect, but Im ok with that. Never found it unbalanced front to rear.

I rarely do any offroad with these tyres...i have two wheel sets that I change as required.
Im running this combo because the bike came with the scorpions and I couldnt get a matching front in 19in, so bought an MT90. When they wear out, I am going to fit a pair of Michellin Pilots.

If the question is, are they a great all round tyre, I would say no....but then again..compromise is a bitch. Scorpions good on road dry or wet, ok off road on good gravel rd in the dry, suck in anything else. They wear well.
TKC80s are suprisingly good on the road, good off road, but wear quickly.
I dont have to compromise. I use the scorpion/mt90 comboon road, and Motoz Desert Rallys off road.

If the question is, does this combo work safely on road, the answer is yes.

If 75/25 is genuine....not 90/10...then seriously think about tkc80s.

Hamish71 screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 04:49 PM
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote