Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #16
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
I like the look of your prototype, I reckon that an 800GS needs an adjustable screen so you can cover both road touring and off road use.

I much prefer dealing direct with the manufacturer for things like this ... A distributor just adds another layer of cost to the item. Appointing distributors all over the world is just so 20th century.
I am with you there. Additionally, dealing direct allows us to offer more choices to the customer. For example, our Lynx fairing has 8 colour choices, plus the option to upgrade the lights to HID, plus headlight protectors. This would be a nightmare for a distributor to have to stock.

Equally we may also offer an OEM matched colour choice option on this fairing, although I think it is going to look best in a carbon colour.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #17
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno2w1
I can't eat popcorn and wait with anticipation! I'm about 3 weeks from riding to TT and forking over the cash for a D3 (far less than 800 clams here). If this amazing sounding product is just on the horizon I might hold off if someone "leaks" a few pics and specs!

I'm all about supporting small business. BCL isn't Apple with a new iWhatever so some prerelease info would probably bolster sales, not hurt them.

Damn !! -- we were going to call it the i-fairing
Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B

Damn !! -- we were going to call it the i-fairing
Will it stop working properly if I hold it the wrong way?
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #19
Mollygrubber OP
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
If it's upside down, my guess would be yes.
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
OverlandHank
Loves to Farkel

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
The test rides are now done on the fairing and it will be in production around mid Sept.

As with our Lynx fairings, The design features a dashboard on which the OEM speedo unit is relocated and incorporates a platform for a GPS above it in the 'head up display' position. The dash is a structural part of the fairing and acts as a brace, so we have eliminated the need for separate metal bracing (when you make things from composites, you don't like metal !).

The design features the same variable and slide away screen as used on our other designs, but we have formed a lip at the bottom of the screen to increase the ram air effect behind it to further smooth out the airflow.

Testing showed that we could ride quite comfortably at speeds up to 120kph with the helmet visor cracked halfway open ( Shoie Hornet) and then went on to flat out at indicated 190 kph without any issues. (closed circuit of course !!)

Overall, I'm really pleased with this one and it's certainly turned some heads locally.

Not finalised, but should be around $500 and available by the end of Sept.

Here's a pic of the Prototype
Thanks for posting this. It's nice enough to make me hold off pulling the trigger on the DS3. I can't wait to see what the dashboard looks like.

Subscribed.
OverlandHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Probably !
Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
dash

What (if any) rewiring/rerouting etc will be necessary to move things into the dash?
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #23
Mollygrubber OP
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
What (if any) rewiring/rerouting etc will be necessary to move things into the dash?
... and further to that, will the HID ballasts etc. be tolerated by the CANBUS?
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
Really easy. The OEM instrument comes off it's mounting very easily and you just unplug the electrical feed, remount the instrument to the pre-drilled holes in the dash and plug it back in. Very quick.

The new dash places the speedo at the same angle as stock, but it is about 1-1/2" nearer to you. I actually prefered it to the stock location which is well forward. the GPS platform sits above the speedo and is a bit closer to you. In other words the dash sort of forms a visor over the speedo unit.

Our fairing doesn't involve any changes to the lights, so the HID issue doesn't apply. However, for those who do upgrade their lights to HID, the back of our dash will make an ideal place to mount the ballasts. I believe that www.futurevisionHID.com have a solution to the CANBUS issue in their kits.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #25
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
This solution looks better and better. Every time I read another detail and see another photo I like it more. I was so close to ordering a Desierto... I'm glad I didn't.

Hurry and get this sucka' to market so you can take my money!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #26
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Actually, I have found another photo taken from the side, but it doesn't show you much more detail. Hopefully we'll get some more photos soon, including one fitted to a yellow 800.

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 05:56 PM
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #27
matho...
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Oddometer: 107
Is there too HOT today???.................. I'd like to participate that buy if...
But so useful would be a test ride and the body dimensions of the driver.Also the terrain(tour-off road - city traffic-highspeed ps)of moving...

matho... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #28
AHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Awesome, awesome, awesome, the dashboard part sounds really cool....definitely interested in test rider dimensions too as I have the long upper torso/shortish legs thing going!

Always choose a hobby you can still do when you're 80!
AHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #29
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHS
Awesome, awesome, awesome, the dashboard part sounds really cool....definitely interested in test rider dimensions too as I have the long upper torso/shortish legs thing going!
Test rider was 5'8", but as you can see from the photo, the ideal height for the screen was about 4" below it's maximum.

We have quite a lot of testing experience under belt with our other fairings and have learnt that adventure type fairings are always a compromise between function and looks and we have found that bigger screens are not always better when it comes to overall comfort. This fairing is particularly challenging, because we are trying to accomodate everybody from 5"2" on a lowered seat 650, to 6'5" on an 800. The fairing height you see here was set so that a short person on a lowered seat 650 probably won't raise the screen at all !

The unit will have further testing on and off road on an 800 as soon as we have the first true manufactured parts available to us, before it is released for sale. The prototype you see in the photo is a combination of wood, filler and fibreglass and so we have to fully check out the real thing and spec the final composite layup.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #30
themobb
Is this thing on???

Oddometer: 504
Thank You, Ian for all the updates,

As you can see, lots of interested inmates here...

Lance
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote