Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #31
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by themobb
Thank You, Ian for all the updates,

As you can see, lots of interested inmates here...

Lance
No pressure then !!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #32
LilDirtRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256

LilDirtRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #33
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Test rider was 5'8", but as you can see from the photo, the ideal height for the screen was about 4" below it's maximum.

We have quite a lot of testing experience under belt with our other fairings and have learnt that adventure type fairings are always a compromise between function and looks and we have found that bigger screens are not always better when it comes to overall comfort. This fairing is particularly challenging, because we are trying to accomodate everybody from 5"2" on a lowered seat 650, to 6'5" on an 800. The fairing height you see here was set so that a short person on a lowered seat 650 probably won't raise the screen at all !

The unit will have further testing on and off road on an 800 as soon as we have the first true manufactured parts available to us, before it is released for sale. The prototype you see in the photo is a combination of wood, filler and fibreglass and so we have to fully check out the real thing and spec the final composite layup.
6'2" on an F800GS with the BMW comfort seat if you need a beta tester
Old 08-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #34
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Actually, I have found another photo taken from the side, but it doesn't show you much more detail. Hopefully we'll get some more photos soon, including one fitted to a yellow 800.
I have the yellow 800. Send me one and I will send you all the pics you want
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #35
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,085
Ian B.......

Seeing this makes me want to make my own cf shield......hmmmmm..... I have one question though. Does the obscuring of the view with a non transparent shield not bother you???? I always wondered.....That when you hit a techno section....it is great to see where the wheel is going..... But perhaps I am missing something....Please enlighten me.... I gotta get over this viability thing......

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 08-22-2010 at 06:24 PM
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #36
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Ian B.......

Seeing this makes me want to make my own cf shield......hmmmmm..... I have one question though. Does the obscuring of the view with a non transparent shield not bother you???? I always wandered.....That when you hit a techno section....it is great to see where the wheel is going..... But perhaps I am missing something....Please enlighten me.... I gotta get over this viability thing......

Erling
I guess you would have to ask the Dakar racers the same question. They're fairings are about 7" taller !

Seriously though, if you were dealing with some really rough stuff, then you would be stood up, so it isn't really an issue and when you are sat down, the expets say that your eyes should be about 50-100 yards in front, so it's no problem. This does raise the issue of why we choose to design our fairings with totally slide away screens. I have it imprinted on my mind seeing someone smash their face into a tall fixed screen when they baled and it wasn't a pretty sight !

Some experienced guys that I know say that having something in front of you that stopped you from looking directly at the ground is a good way to help you ride smoother.

It's a good point you raise though, and I guess it can only be answered once there are a few out there.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #37
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
What's the height range (max/min " above the headlight) for the screen?
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #38
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I guess you would have to ask the Dakar racers the same question. They're fairings are about 7" taller !

Seriously though, if you were dealing with some really rough stuff, then you would be stood up, so it isn't really an issue and when you are sat down, the expets say that your eyes should be about 50-100 yards in front, so it's no problem. This does raise the issue of why we choose to design our fairings with totally slide away screens. I have it imprinted on my mind seeing someone smash their face into a tall fixed screen when they baled and it wasn't a pretty sight !

Some experienced guys that I know say that having something in front of you that stopped you from looking directly at the ground is a good way to help you ride smoother.

It's a good point you raise though, and I guess it can only be answered once there are a few out there.
Yeppers..... Reason that I asked....is that I am really starting to like that kind of setup. A year ago, I did not think it looked nice, and on my drz470.....I am pinned with my eyes when I crawl over boulders........But the more I look at this set up.........the more I want to build one. It is a great idea with the flex-height screen. I like that a lot. Hmmmmmm....... Now I gotta go and design one........Ohhh....well.....

Erling
Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #39
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Yeppers..... Reason that I asked....is that I am really starting to like that kind of setup. A year ago, I did not think it looked nice, and on my drz470.....I am pinned with my eyes when I crawl over boulders........But the more I look at this set up.........the more I want to build one. It is a great idea with the flex-height screen. I like that a lot. Hmmmmmm....... Now I gotta go and design one........Ohhh....well.....

Erling
Good luck. But just to give you some idea, we are currently at 230+ man hours to get to the prototype stage ! you do the math.

Cheers Ian
Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #40
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good luck. But just to give you some idea, we are currently at 230+ man hours to get to the prototype stage ! you do the math.

Cheers Ian
I believe you more than you know........ Great work.

Erling
Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #41
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether
What's the height range (max/min " above the headlight) for the screen?
Bump on my question...
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #42
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether
Bump on my question...
The prototype is now being used to form the molds so it isn't attached to a bike currently. However the fairing is 11" higher than the mounting screws on the OEM screen. The sliding screen then extends up to 7" above that when fully extended.

Ian
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #43
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
TT Handguard clearance?

I noticed the bike in the pic is using TT (Touratech) handguards so I just wanted to confirm that there was no contact with the screen, and based on the screen's shape, I doubt adding 20mm bar risers would cause the guards to contact your screen.

I just installed TT handguards on my F800GS and discovered they contact the TT windscreen at full lock. I also have the TT 20mm risers, and I bet without them there wouldn't be a problem.

I had been using the BMW OEM handguards in conjunction with the TT 20mm risers and TT windscreen, and that combination worked fine. I just wanted the TT handguards for better wind/rain coverage. That'll teach me...
Gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #44
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious
I noticed the bike in the pic is using TT (Touratech) handguards so I just wanted to confirm that there was no contact with the screen, and based on the screen's shape, I doubt adding 20mm bar risers would cause the guards to contact your screen.

I just installed TT handguards on my F800GS and discovered they contact the TT windscreen at full lock. I also have the TT 20mm risers, and I bet without them there wouldn't be a problem.

I had been using the BMW OEM handguards in conjunction with the TT 20mm risers and TT windscreen, and that combination worked fine. I just wanted the TT handguards for better wind/rain coverage. That'll teach me...
I'm a bit surprised the two TT products interfere with each other. We won't know exactly how much clearance there is on ours until the cockpit/dash moldings are delivered from our suppliers (about a week), but I am fairily sure there was at least an inch clearance between the handguards and fairing at full lock.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #45
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Three to tango

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised the two TT products interfere with each other.
It took three TT products together before there was an issue. Their wind screen is wider and has two distinct cut-aways to accommodate handguards. When the risers are added however, the guards are no longer align with the cut-aways.

I'll post some pics later -- and forward them to Touratech so they can put a warning on their web-page.
Gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote