Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #31
Spuds
On my way home

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally posted by queenpdog
The bike handles packed gravel nicely, but the tires limit you quite a bit. I hit some deeper gravel over the weekend and it got real sketchy pretty quickly. There aren't a lot of options for the ST's wheel sizes. I know that is not what the bike is built for, but my exploring will always include some dirt.
One of the best features of the Street Triple is the 17" wheels which gives you so many tire options. I believe your Triumph runs a 120/70r-17 up front and a 180/55r-17 in the rear.

So, for gravel road exploration you may want to look at some of the tires that were developed for the Buell and Ducati big tralies that have a 75% road and 25% dirt profile like the Dunlop D616 and the Perelli Scorpion Sync.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #32
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Anyone else have this issue?

So, for you other owners of the Street....

We have a lot of seal coated roads around here, and since it is summer (road construction season), resurfacing is in full effect. I keep having little pieces of gravel stick to my front tire, and then make a terrible scraping sounds going through the front fender. I'm semi used to it now, but the first few times it scared the crap out of me.

Has anyone raised their front fender a bit to eliminate this issue? I am thinking of experimenting with it.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #33
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, I have put another 600 or so miles on the little beast and thought I'd post up some more "impressions" and pics. Today I really put her through her paces. I did some freeway superslab to some Minnesota secondary roads. Then, hopped through some little towns and crossed the big Sip into Wisconsin. Between Lake City, MN and Pepin, WI lies beautiful Lake Pepin. This is where the river widens to a point of being a couple miles across.

Next up was Wisconsin's Rustic Road 51. It is 4 miles of packed to loose gravel and clay, with 4 water crossings. Yeah, I know....not the best footing for a sport-ish bike, but she did just great.

After that I rocketed south to hit some of Wisconsin's finest "Alphabet Roads". These are county roads named with letters (C, SS, TT, CC, A, D, ....you get the picture). Lots of tight hairpin turns and long 75 mph sweepers. The Street Triple is Nirvana in this environment.

I hightailed it home with some more highway and superslab, all in all covering about 300 miles.

The bike didn't miss a beat, got about 47 mpg, handled everything I could throw at her. I love this bike.

As fall approaches, I will be making a couple of mods to the bike. I am installing some heated grips and an accessory plug for some heated gear. Does anyone know if there is a way to boost the power capacity/output of the battery and charging system? I've heard there isn't much juice to play with there.

Juia

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 AM   #34
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 125
I loved mine too and I'll miss it. I replaced it with a Tiger 1050 so I've got the fantastic triple engine and more comfortable ergonomics. At 6-0 tall though, I can barely flat-foot it. I think the Street 675 has about the same HP as the Tiger 1050!

Enjoy your Striple.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #35
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 613
Here are few pics of my StripleR during a recent weekend trip to the Eifel

lovely nimble little bike, great handling, more than enough power. Suits me perfect
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #36
JeffPM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Those are some beautiful roads up there, I just picked up my STR last weekend. I've been too busy and have only had it out for a couple of short rides. Here she is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
Well, I have put another 600 or so miles on the little beast and thought I'd post up some more "impressions" and pics. Today I really put her through her paces. I did some freeway superslab to some Minnesota secondary roads. Then, hopped through some little towns and crossed the big Sip into Wisconsin. Between Lake City, MN and Pepin, WI lies beautiful Lake Pepin. This is where the river widens to a point of being a couple miles across.

Next up was Wisconsin's Rustic Road 51. It is 4 miles of packed to loose gravel and clay, with 4 water crossings. Yeah, I know....not the best footing for a sport-ish bike, but she did just great.

After that I rocketed south to hit some of Wisconsin's finest "Alphabet Roads". These are county roads named with letters (C, SS, TT, CC, A, D, ....you get the picture). Lots of tight hairpin turns and long 75 mph sweepers. The Street Triple is Nirvana in this environment.

I hightailed it home with some more highway and superslab, all in all covering about 300 miles.

The bike didn't miss a beat, got about 47 mpg, handled everything I could throw at her. I love this bike.

As fall approaches, I will be making a couple of mods to the bike. I am installing some heated grips and an accessory plug for some heated gear. Does anyone know if there is a way to boost the power capacity/output of the battery and charging system? I've heard there isn't much juice to play with there.

Juia

'09 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom
'09 Triumph Street Triple R
JeffPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #37
SportsLawGuru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I was messing around with photo editing today and put this together. I thought the STripR fans might like it.

SportsLawGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #38
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Good stuff, keep the pics coming. I never get tired of looking at this bike. Just lovely.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #39
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking
Here are few pics of my StripleR during a recent weekend trip to the Eifel

lovely nimble little bike, great handling, more than enough power. Suits me perfect
BK,
Looks like you have the Triumph tank protector. I ordered one, but can't figure out how the little tape pad thingies are supposed to work. Are they truly double sided (sticky)? I could only get one side to peel off. Any tips would be most appreciated.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #40
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
BK,
Looks like you have the Triumph tank protector. I ordered one, but can't figure out how the little tape pad thingies are supposed to work. Are they truly double sided (sticky)? I could only get one side to peel off. Any tips would be most appreciated.
I am afraid can't help you there, my STR came with the tank protector (and the bellypan, flyscreen, rear hugger)
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #41
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

I figured out the double sided tape stuff. The first one I tried to peel away from the back side didn't want to come loose. All the rest were easy.

Got out for another 100 + mile ride today. I love this bike more every time I ride. Plus, there is nothing like riding this time of year in MN where the leaves are getting gorgeous. It was around 70 degrees and sunny as well.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #42
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Just ticked over 30,000 miles on my 08 Street bought new in October of 2007. Could not be more happy with my choice.

Adventure mode!

Just took her on a 5200 mile adventure as well.
Dmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #43
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Juia
I run the combination of Hotgrips, an Aerostich heated vest, gps, and my iPhone while touring. Never had an issue.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #44
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino
I run the combination of Hotgrips, an Aerostich heated vest, gps, and my iPhone while touring. Never had an issue.
Ahhh, that's good to know. Hopefully the issues that I have heard of are just isolated. I got the bike with a bad battery and that was replaced under warranty. Haven't had any problems since.

Any chance you could explain how you hooked up the hotgrips? That's what I got, and am just contemplating the best way to connect them. Did you use a fuse? Was there an existing (extra) fuse to work with? If I'm not mistaken, our bikes are wired for alarms -- I was thinking that might be a spot to "plug in".

Any guidance you can provide would be most appreciated.

Julia

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
Old 09-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #45
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

It was an involving install as there is no easy plug in available. I used the FSM to find a wire with switched power and I soldered in a relay. That way if i ever leave the grips on it wont drain the battery. I also mounted the resistor to the sub frame under the bodywork. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction and could shoot a few photos for you.

Glad you are enjoying your bike!