Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #211
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,515
Yep - that HUGE header mount is gone on my bike. It looked cumbersome and messy for mine. I have it mounted from the pillion peg. (take out the 2 plastic bungs and its threaded in there - they knew what I was thinkin before I did - cool). Much neater and less obtrusive - no chance of rubbin the swingarm.
If I do individual tanks down the track then yep - twin fillers but not on the single unit. 40lt + from a side stand fill should be plenty of riding before a refill.
Is your HID setup from Touratech? Very interested in seeing your screen - its one of the "to dos" on my bike. I think the light output from the oem is OK, but not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogg View Post
hi Pete - Just to let you know I am also monitoring the development of your rallye tank's. I have a much modified 2004 950s (owned from new) with pukka rallye headlights (both working DID , like night sun!) and works style fairing which I made, so know how much effort this project takes. You have a really nice concept. Will you have an option for twin rear fillers as the rallye bikes (I always fill my bike on the centre stand to get more fuel in on long trips. Recently completed a 600 mile day coming back from Spain to the U.K. - your right about the bikes abilities/comfort. I love them (you know what I mean). Interestingly I have a very similar set up to you; GPR exhaust. Will the mount for that have to be modified on the footrest hanger? Put me on your list as a contender and best of luck with your ride -enjoy!

Pete640 screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 04:11 PM
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #212
Trogg
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Cool2 lights/screen

hi Pete- my lights are from the KTM LC4 rallye bike, but sit on top of each other. I got some ideas from looking at pictures on orange crush and made my own lighting mount. I then made a 'plug ' around this/the lights. I added HID bulb units and they are Bright!! Night becomes day.The screen is almost identical to meoni's bike. I only completed the first sceen from the mould three weeks ago and last two weeks going through Spain with it (mountains and deserts) and back home through France in all weathers and its perfect (credit where credits due! ). Mind you I experienced a slipping clutch for the last 150 miles, at night, in heavy rain, but she got me home.The original lights are like candles in comparison. You can fit one Hid to the 'main (lower) h/light but, if you try fitting one to hi beam, the projected beam is to high and is not road legal. sadly, the 'Hi' cannot be adjusted independently of the main. I looked at the touratech units at the bike show here in the U.K. and was not impresssed for the money (no additional room to mount GPS or other items). I have mounted the KTM road book and my speedo unit sits above that. I then made a seperate mounting unit and my Garmin GPS sits above that. Ideal for navigating without taking your eyes of the road/track. I have my exhaust mounted off the footrest bolts and this is very similar to the rally 950. As you know making these things takes a bit of time and effort (and getting dirty/dusty). I have not been successful at up loading photo's but will try again (need a lesson). If you want to send me your e-mail then I will send a picture or two for you to view.
Trogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #213
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

OK - so Im just about to start moulding the tank. But I can see 1 major problem with the set up/design as it is. Its 1 tank (2 sides joined through the subframe). So if the bike has a "non upright moment" and one of the sides is damaged then all of the fuel within is lost. 2 separate tanks wont do this, ud only lose the fuel in the damaged tank.
Input required from the faithful??? Do I continued or split them now?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #214
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,832
IMO you've got to split them just for the very reason you've said.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #215
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,127
+1 on splitting them. More work now (unfortunately) but it will pay off in the long term.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #216
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

OK - so I have 3 for splitting them (me included). If we get to 5 then its a done deal. Now where are 1stiski and deadly Very important input..
Old 07-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #217
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
OK - so I have 3 for splitting them (me included). If we get to 5 then its a done deal. Now where are 1stiski and deadly Very important input..
Pete

Just a quick thought (and I am happy to be shot down if it won't work or I am completely wrong !)

If you are going to split the tanks is it worth looking at doing it so you can sell a left side tank that will fit an ABS 990 ? So the right side tank can fill the space taken by the abs stuff on the 990 but those of us with 990's can just buy the left side from you ? Potentially opens up a bigger marketplace to sell the tanks ?

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #218
Adventcha UnCut
Wannabe

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Pete,

If it's any help I'm up for splitting them too but not because I want to retain the ABS on the 990, it's going too

Sorry I haven't been in touch for a while, is the CF bashie ready to go or are you still waiting on the metal fabrications ?

Cheers,

Adv UNCuT
Adventcha UnCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #219
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,135
Split
Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #220
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Pete

Just a quick thought (and I am happy to be shot down if it won't work or I am completely wrong !)

If you are going to split the tanks is it worth looking at doing it so you can sell a left side tank that will fit an ABS 990 ? So the right side tank can fill the space taken by the abs stuff on the 990 but those of us with 990's can just buy the left side from you ? Potentially opens up a bigger marketplace to sell the tanks ?
+1 to Pebble's idea.

I dunno if i need to be on the "list" for my vote to count, nevertheless i vote for splitting them even though it may mean a li'l bit of fuel capacity will be lost.

btw Pete, put me on the list for the dual tanks+bash plate. I am committed to this .
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!

Vicks screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 04:19 AM
Vicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #221
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
I'd say split. I'd also say add a tail tidy kit of some sort with dual lights on the back, ala rally style

An entire new rear end and not just tanks. See how African Queens did theres ? Kind of blended the tanks into the rear fender....very slick.

Whatever you decide is all good though

Still patiently waiting.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #222
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Dont have a KTM Adv but a split style may be more able to be adapted to other bikes also increasing the possible market for these tanks.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #223
Kirschgeist
n00b

Oddometer: 6
The disadvantage of the one piece sollution is, that you loose the space for the tools
Kirschgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #224
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 513
+++++ split
Deviant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #225
Trogg
n00b

Oddometer: 8
split

Hi Pete - you cannot argue with the reasoning behind the orignal rallye tanks - in case of a fall you saved some fuel somewhere to get you home! a definate split.
Trogg is offline   Reply With Quote