User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #421
Adventcha UnCut
Wannabe

Oddometer: 298
Nice work Ciedema,

I've been cutting rear bodywork blindly using your photos as inspiration and was hoping you'd post up something about the fuel line plumbing/routing. Funnily, I came up with exactly the same solution to the routing of the rear loom but will be moving the seat release cable backwards to sit horozontally under my B&B Rear Rack. You always need to unpack the bike to take the seat off anyway so it just gives you an extra security element.

I'm off to Tasmania this weekend on the Cancer Ride so don't reckon I'll have the bike back together even if Pete gets the stuff back to me tomorrow (unlikely from PER to MEL so slow down Pete ). Instead I'll be riding the wife's Husky in Tassie which will be a real problem (NOT), I just won't be able to compete with the Stelvio NTXs .

Cheers,

ADV UNCuT
Adventcha UnCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #422
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,585
When you back Mike? Tanks should be painted this weekend - polished mid/end next week then back to you at worst the 26th. If your in a hurry I can skip the polish and send em after paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventcha UnCut View Post
Nice work Ciedema,

I've been cutting rear bodywork blindly using your photos as inspiration and was hoping you'd post up something about the fuel line plumbing/routing. Funnily, I came up with exactly the same solution to the routing of the rear loom but will be moving the seat release cable backwards to sit horozontally under my B&B Rear Rack. You always need to unpack the bike to take the seat off anyway so it just gives you an extra security element.

I'm off to Tasmania this weekend on the Cancer Ride so don't reckon I'll have the bike back together even if Pete gets the stuff back to me tomorrow (unlikely from PER to MEL so slow down Pete ). Instead I'll be riding the wife's Husky in Tassie which will be a real problem (NOT), I just won't be able to compete with the Stelvio NTXs .

Cheers,

ADV UNCuT
Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #423
Adventcha UnCut
Wannabe

Tassie Cancer Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
When you back Mike? Tanks should be painted this weekend - polished mid/end next week then back to you at worst the 26th. If your in a hurry I can skip the polish and send em after paint?
Pete,

Not back until Monday 26th and won't have time that week to do anything as I'm auditing all week. The Husky will be sick of me wringing it's neck in Tassie and then on the SW Vic leg of the Cancer Ride the following weekend . The Tassie ride is going to be a doozy, one of the riders has got the keys to all the private roads in the SW

I was going to put a clear film over the tanks to protect the paint from the Giant Loop bags - to polish or not

Take your time, I'm sure the wait will be worth it

Cheers,

ADV UNCuT
Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #424
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventcha UnCut View Post
Pete,

Not back until Monday 26th and won't have time that week to do anything as I'm auditing all week. The Husky will be sick of me wringing it's neck in Tassie and then on the SW Vic leg of the Cancer Ride the following weekend . The Tassie ride is going to be a doozy, one of the riders has got the keys to all the private roads in the SW

I was going to put a clear film over the tanks to protect the paint from the Giant Loop bags - to polish or not

Take your time, I'm sure the wait will be worth it

Cheers,

ADV UNCuT
Polish it is if you have the time.... (which there seems to be).. Worth the extra time I assure you - ask CIDEMA
Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #425
Adventcha UnCut
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Polish it is if you have the time.... (which there seems to be).. Worth the extra time I assure you - ask CIDEMA
Early April delivery then Pete? Got a 10 day Central Oz trip planned for the Anzac Day Public Holiday week which hopefully will be a good shake down trip for the new tanks - one 500km day .

Cheers,

Michael
Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #426
Silverkap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi,

I use this solution...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771559

(you can see photos at end of post...)

but they are front tanks...

Silverkap screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 05:29 AM Reason: more information
Silverkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #427
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkap View Post
Hi,

I use this solution...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771559

(you can see photos at end of post...)

but they are front tanks...

Sort of looks like a complicated way to store fuel in place of the fairing..or behind the fairing plastic...akin to the TT tanks. Biggest drawback is that you are raising the fuel mass higher on the bike and adding more weight over the front wheel. But its good to see people are trying things.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #428
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Sort of looks like a complicated way to store fuel in place of the fairing..or behind the fairing plastic...akin to the TT tanks. Biggest drawback is that you are raising the fuel mass higher on the bike and adding more weight over the front wheel. But its good to see people are trying things.
I tend to agree - interesting variation on the africa queens fairing replacements IMO. Gotta say the $$$ is very good tho considering the amount of fabrication that would be involved. Nice work and tanks for sharing
Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #429
Silverkap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
If you are in off road and you need a front lightweight you can leave the tank empty, instead during the trip (adventure or touring) the weight is not a big problem because you already have the weight back (passenger or baggage) and these tank are not a problem.
The good thing is that you don't change anything about your bike, the width is original, the passenger is comfortable and not have to spend money on exhausts,etc...
Silverkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #430
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,608
Step One

Seeing as there is no how to for the install I'll document mine here

Step One : Remove Subframe. Remove pasenger pegs and the mounts for the rear plastic fairings. Remove mud flap. Trim the underseat plastics...I used a jig saw (carefully).

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #431
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I used a jig saw (carefully).
More carefully that the drill I hope :).

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4xwy32
Snet from ym iPohne using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #432
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
More carefully that the drill I hope :).

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4xwy32
Snet from ym iPohne using Tapatalk
Ouch...
Old 03-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #433
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,608
Suppose I was just excited about spring coming and bringing weather warm enough to drink beer in the garage. I was on my last beer (stupid little six packs) when I accidentally slipped. No! My last beer was about to decorate the floor, in quick human reflex I reached to save...success! Sadly I had a drill in my hand which inadvertently put a clean hole through one of my gorgeous new tanks. Backside where no one will see it and it's being fixed Saturday morning

Anotherlesson learned, NEVER drink and work......with only six beers. This weekend I will be fully stocked up so something stupid like this won't happen again

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #434
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Now I get it ............. Damn
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #435
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Suppose I was just excited about spring coming and bringing weather warm enough to drink beer in the garage. I was on my last beer (stupid little six packs) when I accidentally slipped. No! My last beer was about to decorate the floor, in quick human reflex I reached to save...success! Sadly I had a drill in my hand which inadvertently put a clean hole through one of my gorgeous new tanks. Backside where no one will see it and it's being fixed Saturday morning

Anotherlesson learned, NEVER drink and work......with only six beers. This weekend I will be fully stocked up so something stupid like this won't happen again