Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #33
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,520
Not atm - I had a couple of late orders for the Aust safari and my CF bash plate mould has taken priority because I dont have one that covers my GPR low header. I expect I'll have something in 2-3 weeks tankwise.

Pete
Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #34
eradock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Hi Pete,

These look like they are going to be great!

How much volume do you think each will be?

Any chance you'll be building them so that only the left one can be used?

Will these work with hard bag racks?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #35
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Thanks - not much to look at atm, but they'll be butterfly pretty shortly.
Ive been speaking to a couple of friend laminate/design engineers recently and have come to the decision to make the 2 tanks into one that'll utilise the under seat storage space. Mounting will require removing the top subframe mounts and pivoting it down to slip the tank unit into place - custom under seat/rear taillight set up required. As my main design requirement was max capacity (= range) this will give me approx 6 lt of extra capacity without any drawbacks. There will still be under seat storage, but not as much - and abs is out. As it will be one unit it'll only need one filler (rhs which is higher when on the sidestand) and one petcock/dry break/fuel tap. All told it'll hold approx 22lt if my mathing is goodest??? Once Ive got it fitted and trialled It'll be moulded and possibly offered to the greater good if there is enough interest. If its a dog then I'll go back to the original 2 tank idea - but I cant see that happening any time soon. (unless someone has mucho $$$$$)

Pete
Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #36
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,466
Tail unit (lights, etc) included in the one piece ?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #37
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
One tank two tanks...$$$

Are you saying it is less expensive to build two tanks, or one large one? I'd think there may be more appeal for the two tanks as some folks may only want one if they are running a single exhaust.

My thoughts are two tanks would offer more flexibility to convert back to running bags, etc when max fuel capacity is not needed.

My .02, but I am interested in the project and possible purchase either way.

Pointman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640
Thanks - not much to look at atm, but they'll be butterfly pretty shortly.
Ive been speaking to a couple of friend laminate/design engineers recently and have come to the decision to make the 2 tanks into one that'll utilise the under seat storage space. Mounting will require removing the top subframe mounts and pivoting it down to slip the tank unit into place - custom under seat/rear taillight set up required. As my main design requirement was max capacity (= range) this will give me approx 6 lt of extra capacity without any drawbacks. There will still be under seat storage, but not as much - and abs is out. As it will be one unit it'll only need one filler (rhs which is higher when on the sidestand) and one petcock/dry break/fuel tap. All told it'll hold approx 22lt if my mathing is goodest??? Once Ive got it fitted and trialled It'll be moulded and possibly offered to the greater good if there is enough interest. If its a dog then I'll go back to the original 2 tank idea - but I cant see that happening any time soon. (unless someone has mucho $$$$$)

Pete
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #38
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Sorry - I may not have explained it correctly. In its first incarnation Im after a tank that will carry the most fuel and that it seems is a one piece that incorporates the under seat storage area. Once ive got it done and if there is enough interest id consider making twins for those with the single high exhausts. But 1st its the single max range unit.
Deadly - seat/tail light unit is a 2nd piece and will have limited storage capacity (think O2 cylinders, small levers, tool bag, etc).

But the bash plate must be done 1st. and there was even a sacraficial plate used over the OEM's that was a disposable unit after each day - how cool.

Pete.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #39
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Sounds perfect, look forward to seeing pics of a mockup or prototype. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #40
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Hey Pete I love these 'build it yourself projects' as you get alot of satisfaction from the end result.

However these rallye tanks dont make sense to me. (unless you're entering a rally) If you need alot of fuel you obviously plan to ride along way, if you ride along way you will need alot of gear which will also be mounted on the back. All this weight on the back makes the bike difficult to ride in tricky situations and all but rules out sand due to the lightness of the front end.

I am also looking for an answer to carrying more fuel after a recent 9000km trip to the Territory from the east coast. I carried enough fuel on the back at times to do over 650km but narly creek crossings and soft sand were a real challenge. I am keen to do a Simpson desert crossing unsupported but there is no way I could do it with all the fuel behind me.

IMHO the only option is the Safari tanks to transfer enough weight forward to allow the weight distribution with camping gear to be somewhere near neutral. I am also concerned about Safari tanks but there seems to be no alternative.

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #41
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,108
I'm all ears for the one piece tank / subframe combination like the 690's :)
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #42
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911
Hey Pete I love these 'build it yourself projects' as you get alot of satisfaction from the end result.

However these rallye tanks dont make sense to me. (unless you're entering a rally) If you need alot of fuel you obviously plan to ride along way, if you ride along way you will need alot of gear which will also be mounted on the back. All this weight on the back makes the bike difficult to ride in tricky situations and all but rules out sand due to the lightness of the front end.

I am also looking for an answer to carrying more fuel after a recent 9000km trip to the Territory from the east coast. I carried enough fuel on the back at times to do over 650km but narly creek crossings and soft sand were a real challenge. I am keen to do a Simpson desert crossing unsupported but there is no way I could do it with all the fuel behind me.

IMHO the only option is the Safari tanks to transfer enough weight forward to allow the weight distribution with camping gear to be somewhere near neutral. I am also concerned about Safari tanks but there seems to be no alternative.

I've carried a 20 litre can of gas on the back on more than a few occassions now and honestly I couldnt even tell it was there. That was also with a weeks worth of gear on the bike.

Plus I think half the allure of this type of setup (rally tanks) is the "rally look". Sure it easier to just use plastic bags or coke bottle's but that kind of isn't the point. Just an opinion

Old 09-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #43
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911
All this weight on the back makes the bike difficult to ride in tricky situations and all but rules out sand due to the lightness of the front end.
I dont think you can accuse the 950/990Adv of having a light front end... (in its natural, unloaded state)
How much gear are you carrying?
I cant say I have carried heavy loads on mine, but I would have thought the adverse dynamics are as much to do with how high the weight is as how far back it is?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #44
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
I've carried a 20 litre can of gas on the back on more than a few occassions now and honestly I couldnt even tell it was there. That was also with a weeks worth of gear on the bike.
On the tar or hard packed dirt I totally agree but surely you didnt buy a KTM to do what a BMW can do

If you havent ridden soft sand with weight on the back you may not know what Im talking about.

This little sandy track to a camping spot beside a river off the main road was a real challenge. On an unladen bike it would have been a piece of cake.

Those two bags on the back would be lucky to weigh 15kg.

It would only be common sense to think what ever weight you pack behind the rider needs to needs to be balanced out with similar weight in front of the rider if your looking for the best handling the bike can offer.

I love the look of the Rallye bikes dont get me wrong but Im just looking at the practical side of things.

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #45
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

911 - Ive done similar trips on my 950 with the gobis and stock pipes. By shedding the cans and gobis, going to the GPR and soft bags ive saved just under 20kg that was dead weight. The tank will be carried forward and low and being linked - centralised which shouldnt have an adverse affect on handling. As for how much you take "camping" well thats a self inflicted tax that Ive got down to about 12 kg total.
What Im saying is the tank will carry fuel when needed and when distances dont require it - they'll be empty. I'll be keeping the rear luggage plate and handles - maybe a semi custom rack to keep the bags out but the tank is a better bet than jerrys or other slung on up high.
Might even get me a set of those safari's and have near 70 lt of fuel for - well I dont know what but it sure would be a long way between fills.

Pete