ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #46
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911

If you havent ridden soft sand with weight on the back you may not know what Im talking about.
I've ridden soft sand with weight on the back and still have no clue what you are talking about.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #47
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Ever evolving 950 fuel solutions...

I've got no idea what your talking about but i've ridden soft sand.

Just about to fit Neduro tank,2 into 1 etc.
Following this thread ....

Was thinking of attaching 5l a side on front crash bars/passenger footpegs.
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #48
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 441
Yeh, 1st post..

Pete, finish this as a single tank and I'll buy one. If possible leave enough room for a battery as mine has been in that location for two years. 4kg off front of the bike. Fuel mass centralised behind engine is good. Being able to take weight off front or rear as required is good. Built rally style single last year so just need to redo from collector to suit your tank. Nice power change and sound with K1200 Acra. Engine seems smoother. Loaded panniers create a pendulum effect, heavy weight better on rear of seat where a pillion would be. Also have camping gear to about 12kg. Have 60k on bike since new, mmm not need GF Tony.
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #49
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I know what 911 is on about

Different bike but i rode a XR600 with a 23l tank plus a 10kg tail pack and it was practically unrideable, removed the tail pack and it was like riding an enduro bike in comparison, loads of fun very easy to chuck about.

Can't say specifically for the 950 but you will reach a point where weight over the rear if it's high and far back (i.e. on the luggage carrier) will cause problems particularly if the front tanks are nearly empty as there's less weight on the front.

I also rode an Aprilia Pegaso in soft sand with luggage and 10l extra fuel but the rear luggage was mounted on the rear footpegs (i.e. as low and as far forward as i could get it) and the fuel was carried either side of the engine with the bottom of the cans near the bashplate and you could hardly notice the extra weight and playing in the sand was just that.
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #50
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Thumb Rear tanks

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #51
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr
but you will reach a point where weight over the rear if it's high and far back (i.e. on the luggage carrier)
Dead right...... of course with rear tanks the weight is carried low.

With rear tanks (22Lt) my procedure after filling would be to travel 100km with the rear closed. To lower the front levels to prevent syphoning, then run all 4 tanks at the same time till empty. The bike has a beautiful balanced feel to it. I do this on the road as well.

I also subscribe to the travel light line of thought. Very light!

This bike was born with 4 tanks to be ridden on the desert sands

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #52
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr
Pete, finish this as a single tank and I'll buy one. If possible leave enough room for a battery as mine has been in that location for two years. 4kg off front of the bike. Fuel mass centralised behind engine is good. Being able to take weight off front or rear as required is good. Built rally style single last year so just need to redo from collector to suit your tank. Nice power change and sound with K1200 Acra. Engine seems smoother. Loaded panniers create a pendulum effect, heavy weight better on rear of seat where a pillion would be. Also have camping gear to about 12kg. Have 60k on bike since new, mmm not need GF Tony.

Wow - that is one heavy battery. Weighed my old one for interest and its just under 3kg. Im going the single tank route (progress is about 2 weeks off - CF 690 rallye bashie copy mould almost finished - part fits brilliantly) but with the mould being a female its easy enough to make an insert that will allow room for a battery if thats your thing. Any downside to having your battery there - up under the seat?

Pete
Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #53
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

hmm it has been a while since I weighed it, and then it was on an old set of bathroom scales, maybe I'm lighter too.. The battery under the seat is fine, I mounted the start relay on the back of the airbox and only had to extend two wires from the regulator. Everything else reached. Very easy to jump start my bike or another. It was under the seat on the 950Rally and race bikes or cars dont place things without due reason. From what I've read, part of the handling gained on the 690rally over the 660rally, with regards rear end swapping side to side was the single tank allowing fuel weight into the centre. Alfie Cox called the 660 the 1 2 3 bike. Rear steps out 1 way then the other, then you get off... (watch old Dakar footage) bit like loaded panniers. Tony.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #54
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Hhhmmmm - might try my battery there 1st to see if I can feel any difference before I decide on the final product. Ive also noticed in the "barbasma" pics the oil tank is under the seat as well - leaving one huge radiator up front and the oil cooler hanging just above it. As you said they dont spend big $$$$ putting things in places for no reason. If you get a chance look at the 690 rallye - so different to any road based "adv" bike that Ive seen. A place for everything and everything in its place.

Pete
Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #55
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Yes the 690 is a very well packaged bike. Its obvious it was designed as a rally bike from the very beginning whereas the 660 kinda evolved throughout the years. Funny, just before this thread started I purchased a sheet of 3mm Alu to build an oil tank, as well as worked all of my AN fittings out. Your tank would provide a better solution. I'd also considered a tank like yours but in Alu. Looked at the AfricanQueens too but mixed reviews regarding the quality. The CF bash plate sounds promising too but the last bit of TIG work on my Alu one will be ready to pick up tomorrow. Should have procrastinated a little longer before starting it. I've changed my rear number plate holder for one from a '99Rally (which is '93EXC). Easy mod, looks right, fits well, small light but is really bright and has a reflector. KTM like using bits from the parts bin. Looks a million times better than the stock POS. Tony.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #56
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Yes the 690 is a very well packaged bike. Its obvious it was designed as a rally bike from the very beginning whereas the 660 kinda evolved throughout the years. Funny, just before this thread started I purchased a sheet of 3mm Alu to build an oil tank, as well as worked all of my AN fittings out. Your tank would provide a better solution. I'd also considered a tank like yours but in Alu. Looked at the AfricanQueens too but mixed reviews regarding the quality. The CF bash plate sounds promising too but the last bit of TIG work on my Alu one will be ready to pick up tomorrow. Should have procrastinated a little longer before starting it. I've changed my rear number plate holder for one from a '99Rally (which is '93EXC). Easy mod, looks right, fits well, small light but is really bright and has a reflector. KTM like using bits from the parts bin. Looks a million times better than the stock POS. Tony.

tony, will you post some pics of your number plate mod?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #57
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Mate - Im interersted in seeing the plate mod as well

Pete
Old 10-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #58
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Have photos but can't upload them. They are jpg about 46k each
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #59
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Have photos but can't upload them. They are jpg about 46k each
Sign up for a free and easy to use Photobucket account, only takes a few minutes.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #60
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Have a Photobucket account and can see an easy way to attach photos to facebook, twitter etc but not other websites. I'll look again.