User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #91
Kirschgeist
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi Pete,
I ´d like a Tank and a Bashplate. I don´t need Passenger Pegs.
I think a Handle on the back would be good, if the original ones don´t fit anymore.

Alex
Kirschgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #92
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,999
posting the pics of the tank mockup from pete's link (hope you don't mind it, Pete640), nice work btw

bashplate

No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #93
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,385
Who's in?

Pete,
I'm in for tanks and a bash plate!

Did you also do the exhaust?

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #94
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Pete,
great job there!!!

will it fit 990 as well?
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #95
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853
Pete,
I'm in for tanks and a bash plate!

Did you also do the exhaust?

Pointman
+1
Old 11-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #96
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,520
im lookin at this and the bulb comes (dimly) on that with these tanks I will also need a Africa Queen's or GPR like exhaust system since the tank takes up the space that is normally where the mufflers reside.....
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #97
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Oddometer: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind
im lookin at this and the bulb comes (dimly) on that with these tanks I will also need a Africa Queen's or GPR like exhaust system since the tank takes up the space that is normally where the mufflers reside.....
That's really the only downside for me (although I guess it isn't for many), mainly due to cost. Looks great though, and I'd love the extra fuel, obviously. I'm interested, subject to total cost. Any need to beef-up the subframe (perhaps I missed this)?
jamesbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #98
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind
I think that the availability of the GPR exhaust system makes this viable now.

My sub frame is stock "04"

21 Lt............ Mine has survived the time test...... 3 years. They always have fuel in them.

[IMG][/IMG]
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #99
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,655
OK - hopefully I can answer all of the questions;

Replica tanks: - No the subframe wont need reinforcement, ive carried more than 50kg of luggage and gear over 1000s of kms of hellish corrugations and its fine. I expect the unit itself to weigh around 2kg, obviously the fuel will add weight but thats the purpose of the tanks. Im expecting 20+ lt capacity, so 44+ integrated. Itll fit the 990's, but not with ABS as this is where the unit is housed. Sorry.... The 990S doesnt come with abs I think - I'll have to look at that..

Yes - I have the GPR system and its made to fit. KTM twins just had them on sale for around $870US I think - bargain. May still do. The centre tank "link" does require removal of the original X over, and the 2-1 wont fit. Maybe I should become a GPR dealer

Pillion pegs are in, no moulded handles, modified OEM units that will still support the luggage plate. Also by recessing the pillions I can fit my KTM luggage racks with a bit of modification (more on that later).

Bashie: - its a multipul CF/kevlar laminate thats vacuum infused. Holes in the front aid airflow around the battery/rectifier/some low headers. Being as wide as it is it deflects just about all of the crap from the front wheel, infact my boots stay super clean all the time, especially riding in the rain.

Did I mention I do a screen as well??? (incorporating a foil and front vent to reduce that fuc#@g turbulence)... more details soon.

Time frames: ATM im looking at having the mould for the bashie finished in Jan parts then as well and the tank im looking at late Feb (hopefully) given it'll be summer here, its hot, I like a beer and I get easily distracted.

Thanks for the interest guys, much appreciated. When I first saw the 950 Rallye bikes I wanted one, but given they were never made commercially I took the next logical approach. Learning more about their most famous rider Fabricio Meoni and the foundation he set up in Africa made me think of what a great guy he was and the great charity work that still continues today. Not comparing myself with FM but I liked the idea that he gave something back to the sport that he loved and thats why 5% of the proceeds of all parts I make I donate to the Australian Royal Flying Doctor Service - because all riders come off at sometime, Aust is a bloody big place and these guys and girls do a brilliant job looking after us no matter where we ride. So if you do end up with any of these parts - you'll be helping look after the RFDS as well.

Cheers Pete

I'll get back to the mould making now - another part for another bike, doh.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #100
joneswgareth
Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer: 189
Im in on a set of these if/when they make production! Great to see such work going into a project and I look forward to the rest of the development
joneswgareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:11 AM   #101
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 363
CF Bashplate GPR compatible

Hi Pete;

From the pictures I could not tell if the Bash plate you have built is for the GPR single pipe or not. I looked through the last few pages of posts but if it was written, I overlooked it so sorry if I am asking you to repeat somthing you've already mentioned.

All the same, could you please let us know? Also some indication of price point so I can start softening up the Missus would be good.

Thanks.

PS) Great looking work, BTW!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:03 AM   #102
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,655
Hi Terence,

Yep - its specifically for the GPR (cos thats what I have and im selfish). The rhs curls up and around the lowest part of the header Y join protecting if from who knows - either way its protected. Im working on a quick release mount for the rear atm. I'll get some pics up when its done if you like
Cost - still working on that, but I'll pm you when its done.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM
Hi Pete;

From the pictures I could not tell if the Bash plate you have built is for the GPR single pipe or not. I looked through the last few pages of posts but if it was written, I overlooked it so sorry if I am asking you to repeat somthing you've already mentioned.

All the same, could you please let us know? Also some indication of price point so I can start softening up the Missus would be good.

Thanks.

PS) Great looking work, BTW!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #103
924sas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Hi Terence,

Yep - its specifically for the GPR (cos thats what I have and im selfish). The rhs curls up and around the lowest part of the header Y join protecting if from who knows - either way its protected. Im working on a quick release mount for the rear atm. I'll get some pics up when its done if you like
Cost - still working on that, but I'll pm you when its done.

Pete
hi pete,
wouldn't mind a pm of you either... still looking for a plate like yours for my GPR!
many thx in advance...!
sascha
924sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #104
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Forgive if this has been talked about already but will the subframe be able to handle the weight of tanks/gas AND some luggage?

I'm not talking about hard side bags here but something in the line of a Giant Loop bag or. . . . . .?
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #105
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcniss View Post
Forgive if this has been talked about already but will the subframe be able to handle the weight of tanks/gas AND some luggage?

I'm not talking about hard side bags here but something in the line of a Giant Loop bag or. . . . . .?

Yep, I've done a few trips loaded with gear and with 30 extra liters of fuel (loaded high and far back on the rear rack) and never had an issue. A giant loop and this config wouldnt be an issue (weights is held low on both the proposed aux tanks and the gl).

Hope it helps

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote